It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krakatau Getting Active?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Found a pretty cool page with all kinds of monitoring information about various volcanos in Indonesia. I was looking at the Krakatau page and, while the camera seemed to be inoperable when I looked, in the archive for todays date there are several images showing eruptive activity. With all the disasters they've had over there lately the last thing they need is this beast waking up.

Main Indonesian Volcano Site

Krakmon - Real Time Data and Monitoring

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have heard a lot about activity around that area, since the 2004 earthquake there has been several more quakes over 7 mag. I have reason to belive that there may be another quake of equal magnitude to that fateful one (which was something like 9.1?).

such volcanic activity would be attributed to such an event in the works. given that that region is the most tectonically active area on Earth i am not surprised that something like this would be occurring.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
My workplace is responsible for issuing Tsunami warnings and monitoring volcanic ash plumes for volcanoes in the Northern Australia/ indonesia area. So will let you know if anything is gonna be happening

From what Ive seen on our internal website, Krakatau has been spewing out volcanic cloud for months now, so to me this is nothing new and it isnt even close to being a sign of eruption. The area is also the most active on Earth so activity is nothing out of the norm.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Looking a little xtra restless today...

Krakcam

Edit: Should have linked directly to current day's pics page... Fixed now.

[edit on 6-11-2007 by Necrosis]

[edit on 6-11-2007 by Necrosis]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
On the positive side, such an explosion by a large volcano like this would probably put an ash cloud up there in the stratosphere. This would effect the planet's weather patterns within weeks and could bring upon a gradual cooling of the earth and a temporary end to all those global warming fears. It would not be the first time such an event changed the climate around the world, nor will it be the last time.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
True but, based on the historic nature of it's eruptions, i.e. extremely violent pretty much blowing the island out of the ocean each time, the local devastation it would wreak would be similar, if not worse, than the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that occurred there a couple of years ago. The global cooling it would cause would be welcome, but there are a LOT more people living on the shores of the Sundra Straits than there were in 1883. Obviously, there are far more dangerous volcanos on the planet that can cause much more severe and longer term planet wide climatic disruptions I just find it interesting due to the level of monitoring they have in place there and it's well deserved infamous reputation. Hopefully it settles down and nothing extreme occurs.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Getting worse...

Foxnews Story

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

Doesn't sound that bad to me, most of that story is going on about how many volcanoes there are in Indonesia. It doesn't even say that much about Anak Krakatoa, this is all it says:

Anak Krakatau, built on the same lava plume as the Krakatoa volcano that killed tens of thousands in 1883, continued to spew lava, hot gas and rocks Thursday into the Sunda Strait between the Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra.

Doesn't sound too bad to me, granted I wouldn't want to sit on the slopes of it but it only sounds like Strombolian activity to me. In fact the image only shows this, and it doesn't even look to be a particularly big lava fountain.

top topics

join