It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists have failed to contact Beagle2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
British scientists say they have failed in their latest attempts to make contact with Britain's lost Beagle 2 probe, the news was revealed in a solemn press conference.

New contact attempts were made by the Mars Express orbiter, the mother ship of Beagle 2 as it passed over the suspected landing site on Saturday and Sunday night.

The probe has been out of contact since it landed on Christmas Day despite the numerous attempts to revive it, the cause of failure is still unknown.

However all is not lost as the great beagle hunt will be continuing until a cause of silence has been determined, the team from camden is currently setting out the rest of their options but if scientists have not communicated with Beagle 2 successfully by the middle of next month, the probe will almost certainly be written off.

While in orbit, Mars Express is continuing to transmit scientific data and spectacular images of the Martian surface back to Earth.

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The US needs to drive a rover over there, and pull it out of the mud.
Im sure its trashed.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Im sure its trashed.

I wouldn't be surprised if NASA was deliberately stopping the signals, this probe was made on a budget, a tenth of what one NASA mars probe would cost, those companies need to make a living you know.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Im sure its trashed.

I wouldn't be surprised if NASA was deliberately stopping the signals, this probe was made on a budget, a tenth of what one NASA mars probe would cost, those companies need to make a living you know.

Highly doubtful. Not everything is a conspiracy, you know.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
By the time we are able to put a manned spacecraft on mars, the planet should be sufficiently polluted with worthless junk, to make us feel at home.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I guess this applies to the Brits Beagle2 also:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hardy har har. Funny one. Oh dip!
Now to get to the real subject at hand, money. US ROCKS!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think sending things to distant planets is a waste of money. Who would want to live there, when they could live on Earth? I know I wouldn't. I guess sending the rovers to Mars helps us learn more about rocks, but come on. What else is there to know about rocks?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What a friggen waste of money these things are. I mean What the Fu*&%? US and GB have spent billions on these beffed up remote control toys that dont even work or last about 20 days. What an F-ing waste. People are freaking starving and we are doing this carp!!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

now i wonder were ive seen that surface before makes me think more about a hoax

The commission of inquiry looking into the loss of the UK-built Beagle 2 lander will be hoping for one piece of evidence above all else in its investigation: a picture of the stricken probe on the surface of Mars.
If it can get an image of an intact "pocket watch" robot on the Red Planet, this would significantly reduce the list of possible factors that could have blighted the mission

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by SE7EN]

top topics

join