It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women need to shut up and sit down

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Women are vindictive by nature heres my experience. Have you ever worked with a women. with a guy you agrue and its done (at work)
with a women that same agruement could go on for days. Im not saing ones better then the other. Just my experience. LOVE AND RESPECT YOUR WOMEN

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
its quit simple if every men treated women like the way they wanted their mother to be treated the world would be a better place

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by twestjr79
reply to post by Flighty

Women are vindictive by nature heres my experience. Have you ever worked with a women. with a guy you agrue and its done (at work)
with a women that same agruement could go on for days. Im not saing ones better then the other. Just my experience. LOVE AND RESPECT YOUR WOMEN

Someone who says women are vindictive by nature certainly does not respect women.. quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

your right thats sort of a blanket statement i retract it

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
No worries. I stopped being religious when a preacher tried to convince me that women came from Adams rib. I am just fine without it. My boys are raised to be good husbands and honest members of society. No hypocrite here.

Finally someone making some sense around here
. That's the exact way to do it
. Don't have to be religious or in a religion to do right.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey

I have also been to Israel and visited the remains of synagogues from that period. There is a story to this scripture. In that day the men sat on one side of the synagogue and the women sat on the other. It was custom for the women to learn from their husbands at home. While "church" (if you want to call it) was going on in the synagogue, there were many questions the women had and instead of waiting to get back to the house, they were yelling across the synagogue, 'Hey Harry, what does that mean?" You understand, this caused chaos in the service and everyone was yelling back and forth, husbands answering questions their wives had thrown across the isle. Total confusion and chaos. That is what led to this scripture.

what I was told was that many of the (jewish) synagogues were two story. The men were on the first, where they could hear well. The women, those who went, many didn't, and it wasn't expected of the to, were above, on the second floor which was something like a balcony. they couldn't hear much of anything that went on down below and well, it was more of a social gathering than anything else...

it is quite possible that for a time, the customs remained pretty much the same, even though the religion had changed, and the women who went to church thought of the old jewish synagogues and their social times...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by twestjr79
reply to post by Flighty

I know you retracted this statement but I just like to add something.

I work in a female dominated occupation - Nursing - and we don't have time to obsess or argue over trifles.

But this is beside the point.

The Bible was written in days when women weren't permitted the freedoms that we have now. I'm sure if the Bible was written in 2008 it would be totally different to how it was written 2,000 odd years ago.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
From what I understand the Catholic church during the dark or middle ages trained there priests to find women in their domain, high spirited women, women that would question things, and have them killed.

I have searched for information about this but I have been unsuccessful. Any information on this would be great.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Unfortunately the history of mans treatment of women has lived up to the
prophesy stated in Gen 3:16

(Genesis 3:16) 16 To the woman he said: “I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.”

This was not, as some claim, divine judgement for the sins Eve had committed. Nor was it an indication of Gods approval of Mans domination of women.
Rather is was a simple statement of fact that due to the sad consequences of sin and a rejection of Gods soverignty, these unfortunate conditions would prevail.

Abuse of women is the direct result of mankind’s fallen nature, not God’s will. Wives in many cultures have indeed been dominated by their husbands, often in very harsh ways. But this was not God’s purpose.

In some cases Bible accounts do not indicate God’s view on a matter. They may just be historical narrative. This is the case here. A simple accurate statement that history has proven true.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Women need to sit down and shut up

Dead right too, sit down, shut up........and make my dinner!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Make up your mind.

One must STAND to cook dinner , at least in my household.
Being told to sit down usually means hubby makes dinner.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

you will only start to confuse them now!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The bible needs to be filed under fiction. Looking in on Genesis one will see the separation created of man - woman. The whole book is one big blame game to put people down and instill fear to obey the chosen ones to lead the forced indoctrinated souls to a salvation. But you have to ask, salvation, to who, where, when and why.

Genesis starts off with a man being smacked together with dirt, than a wo-man is needed as if the man could do without. Than later on we have to set the woman up with being beguiled by a reptilian to eat from the tree of truth and knowledge so the story can justify her lower position in the world of man.

Ya right, the allmighty steps on scene and gets all uppity on the woman cause she and her tard boy have eaten from the tree. So now we have the fallen being punished for all time. The boy of dirt is lucky a woman even looked him up and down, let alone wanna hang with him. What a shame man is so dumb. Takes a woman to make him righteous and even than he slinks behind woman as she stands before the allmighty in her glorious beauty.

Get out!... This book should be called the book of nonsense in the fiction category. I honestly can't believe any one in the know, in this day and age, would take faith in such nonsense. Than again, theres so many lost souls wondering the earth, I guess I can.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I agree that the Pauline writings say this.

I don't agree that Christ stated, insinuated or lived this idea.

I always take the red letters over the black ones, so I'm not having a big issue with Paul's apparent sexist statements.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I dont care much for religion at all. This sounds about as crazy as the rest of it.

We dont need religions, only spirituality and care for our fellow human beings.

Amen to that my friend.

The bible was written by men who I believe, thought they knew everything there was to know.

And at the time at which the bible was written, women were just child-bearing, lord worshiping, and feminine dressing dolls. Forbidden to oppose, and subjected to accept. I mean can you imagine what the writers of the bible would say if they saw women or me for that matter, in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt? It's quite befitting of god back then isn't it?

Whew, guess I'm sinning right now.

Point: the bible does have poor view, but in today's time, we move it up a level til it fits the next generation and so forth. So as much as I hate to say it, we all over look those points. But really they should be taken into consideration if your going to take anything the bible says, seriously. Even though I do not agree with their definition of a proper lady.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by ConMi27]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Make up your mind.

One must STAND to cook dinner , at least in my household.
Being told to sit down usually means hubby makes dinner.

LOL I do see your point
But as for bible reference Women need to sit down and shut up while at church, I assume the church is not interested in their input. Most of this comes from the old testament, but the modern church today does teach the women should be subservient to there husbands, or that there husbands should be the master of there home, even if he is a idiot.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by worldwatcher
There is definitely a conspiracy in most major religions to silence and shut down the woman.

either that, or they were keeping with tradition to write everything based on the study of nature, which would also include the female nature of being submissive. It's all part of the duality. Now to take this all literally as fundamentalists do... is another problem altogether. I would argue the conspiracy lies within those who try to convince everyone the bible is to be taken verbatim, as opposed to whoever wrote said religious text (not just the bible).

Like Scientist said . . . It is no conspiracy . . . females are naturally submissive. I really see nothing wrong with the bible pointing this out (especially if you’re a naturalist). If you think you can contest this, first take a trip to your local zoo or watch some animal planet. I can assure you that animals never rehd the bible. Also, like Sound Scientist said, not everyone thinks that the bible needs to be interpreted verbatim.

Originally posted by Sparky63
How would first-century readers of Peter’s words construe the term “weaker vessel”? The Greek word for vessel (skeu′os) was used a number of times in the Greek Scriptures and refers to various containers, implements, utensils, and instruments.

Without entertaining ancient etymology . . . Let’s not understate the point that “weaker vessel”, taken literally in the vernacular, means, “weaker body” / “weaker physically”. Women much more often than not, are weaker than men. I think the word vessel is also important here; it implies that although the vessels are different, what occupies them is equal.
(mind & spirit)

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by SevenThunders

hell, if everyone is so damn equal, why'd god order those genocides?

Where in the bible does it say everyone is equal?

and yes, the bible does say that men > women
quite clearly.

I don't believe so.

in the same book where it says it's an "abomination" that men have long hair

You're taking that quote out of context. It's pretty much saying that men should adhere to societies and natures standards so that they can be recognized as men and not mistaken for a woman. Men naturally have thinner and shorter hair than women. They are also more prone to baldness. From what i understand, this also has a lot to do with a man not hiding his face or covering his hair . . . It's all noticeably evident when considering the culture at the time the bible was written; and also nature itself.

[edit on 7/17/2008 by JPhish]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
To me the bible wishes you to be mindless and weak.

There are many strong women in the bible. However, men ran things and their viewpoint and traditions often come through in the writings.

When we read the bible we should remember the customs of the day and take those into consideration and not follow the customs, but rather the teachings inspired by God.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Like Scientist said . . . It is no conspiracy . . . females are naturally submissive. I really see nothing wrong with the bible pointing this out (especially if you’re a naturalist). If you think you can contest this, first take a trip to your local zoo or watch some animal planet. I can assure you that animals never rehd the bible. Also, like Sound Scientist said, not everyone thinks that the bible needs to be interpreted verbatim.

that's funny, ain't never seen momma bear listen to papa bear tell her how to raise the cubs.
maybe I missed it?
really, I think that if papa bear ever did try to spank the cub, momma bear would tear him apart, or die trying to!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
We dont need religions, only spirituality and care for our fellow human beings.

Well said. Especially if this is what it's about. Women are second class humans? Come on.

Then again, I might try to get my wife to follow these "rules", and score myself a slave!

But I'm sure all I would get is a well deserved smack in the head.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join