It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women need to shut up and sit down

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

SOME MEN submit to god, SOMETIMES...

and divorce still isn't an acceptable alternative in some doctrines.

which, leads me to ask...what safeguards? the pastor......I could venture to guess that if SOME women were to send their pastor over to talk to their husband, they'd be in for a heck of a time with their husband for a month or so.
We have LAWS that protect the women, allow her divorce, enables her to work, ect.....but those churches with doctrines that are hardlined in this area also speak out against those laws..

a peek through the old testament doesn't support the idea of this watered down version that is being presented...and personally I would go with the person who's saying that Christ started a cultural revolution and Paul and the others were just trying to get the women to tone it down. They got tired of being run out of the villages by the men who were worried that their wives would leave them to follow the apostles....FREE!

Sarah was told to lied about her marriage with Abraham, saying she was her sister, but never saying anything about being his wife....she was OBEYING Abraham. and she would have committed adultery if it wasn't for God stepping in and clueing the king or whoever it was in. and we are told to look at her as an example.

Ruth, who lost her husband early, stayed with her mother in law, since there was no brothers for her to be passed onto. So, what did the mother in law tell her to do?
Go into this guy's tent that you don 't know, get naked, lie at his feet, and when he wakes up, offer himself to him as his concubine.....so, being the obedient little women she was...she did it.....and Ruth is looked at as an example to follow...for her loyalty and obedience to Naomi.

it could easily be argued that the reason the women were told not to talk to church, but rather ask their husbands at home was that they were considered their husband's property, thus, it was up to the husband as to wheather or not she went to church altogether, as well as, just what knowledge she gleaned from that church. I mean, why not, it was also mandated that any oath that the wife might give....(contracts are oaths), to man or god....could be instantly nullified if the husband disagreed....I read in one of the commentaries that this was so the women wouldn't use "God" as an excuse to subvert the Husband's authority over her.

Like I already stated.....I think that Jesus started a cultural revoulution and well, the apostles were just trying to tone it down some....lest the disbelievers put them all into an early grave... but for the groups that love to preach this authority of the husband over his wife...well.....
these points should be made....historically, that authority superceeded Gods. what was mandated was blind obedience...to the husband.. even if the women felt that it was not the right thing to do in God's eyes, or in her best interest. then of course....God would hold the husband accountable for the wives actions....and well, in many ways, so didn't the laws..
of course, these same laws sometimes included the wife and children in any punishment that was handed to the man for his actions also...

I think the belief was wrong to begin with, and christ just kind of found a way to plant a seed into the world that would grow and eliminate the false teaching...slowly. since if done too quickly, the seed would be killed along with the planters.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My view is that most of the religions before the bible based ones, where Goddess worship. And IMO this was a threat to the new religions so it makes since to me that they would try to suppress the thoughts and the actions of women in general, in a effort to keep religions based on the Goddess a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Proverbs 3:5 "Love the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding."

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

it's like they built things in so that you wouldn't question the books and present them with difficult questions... very conspiratorial

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I don't think i've seen this thread before. it's in the bible it must be true. And yes, i'd like woman to shut up and eat their dinner and stop talking while I do my things.

That's the reason I got a divorce, my wife was trying all to be over me and tell me what to do, I mean she wouldn't shut up at church. Sounds macho and all, but I feel it's true. I was dating a girl a while back and she was getting way too bossy for my taste..we no longer date. I told her on the phone, that I was to be "the master and she the servant" and I don't think she liked that..good thread, gave you a star.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

yeah... you don't really understand that the purpose of this thread is to show that sentiment in a bad light. women shouldn't shut up and sit down, women should be treated as equal partners in humanity, marriage etc

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
naa....God created man and women, and well man just had to always have everything his way, so there was alot of disharmony. after much intervening from God, none of which would convince the man that he shouldn't always have things his way, God gave up and just commanded the women to give him whatever he wanted...since, well, God figured out that that was the only way that the earth would ever be populated...

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I went out with this girl, and she wouldn't shut up about her leather boots. We went to the hard rock place and I paid for her roses, french vase and food and she wouldn't shut up! she keep braggin and talking. yada, yada, yada!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
and so, instead of just deciding that she wasn't the girl for you, you think that your words....shut up, and sit down, and let me do my thing....will change her. You think that you, a mere mortal, should have the right to change her...a creation of GOD....
Is that what you think?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Please do enlighten me on just how any one of the verses I posted was taken out of context.

You don't want enlightenment,, you just want to dare someone to argue. The post is correct, Not all things in the bible, the Bible endorse's moreover If I google "Contradictions of the Bible" I promise you will find many Atheist have nothing better to do then find ways to attack the Book that crushes evolution all the way to the author of all lies.

If you like,, post your questions and Ill have some time this afternoon to answer them as best I can. For now,, all you are doing is perpetuating more bibliobiggotry. If you are sincere and want answers, Ill be more then happy too. If this is just a BibleBashing Boiler room,, then please do me the same favor and let me know,, I won't waste my time or take up anymore of yours,, agreed?

Here are a few that you won't have to ask about just to spare you the time ,, and the embarrasement depending on the way they are asked is the way they get answered sometimes I guess. See Examples Below:

Atheist Bibliobiggot: God walks and talks to himself LOL (to himself?)

Christian Scholar:where does one hallucinate that?

Atheist Bibliobiggot: in the in the garden, and plays a little hide and seek with Adam and Eve. God's inability to find Adam shows that, contrary to all that garbage you spew about GOD I have just proven, he is neither omnipresent nor omniscient

Christian Scholar: Or else that he was practicing the typical ancient teaching/conversational technique of asking questions, sometimes named after Socrates. Perhaps you would want to dismiss a math teacher for asking his/her class, "Can anyone tell me the square root of 36" because Atheist would argue that the teacher did not know the answer is 6 (although that presupposes Atheists are capable of working this out ).

Evolutionist Bibliobiggot: God commands us to "be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over ... every living thing that moveth upon the earth." This verse is used to justify Christian opposition to birth control, to concern for the environment, and to animal rights. The earth was made for humans, and they can do as they damn well please with it.

Christian Scholar: Really? Since when has dominion in the Bible said that a king can treat his subjects as he pleases? But if humans are the pinnacle of evolution by natural selection, then why shouldn't we treat other creatures as we please -- we would just prove ourselves the fittest.

Atheist Bibliobiggot: God tells Adam that he may eat from "every tree," but in 2:17 he contradicts himself by saying there is one tree that he may not eat from. Pathetic --

Christian Scholar: there's nothing wrong with giving a general rule, then later clearly giving an exception. Perhaps you expect a trespassing sign to say, "No trespassing, except where it is necessary to save someone from drowning in a lake on this property."

Feminists Bibliobiggot: Adam is also punished, although less severely.

Christian Scholar: Oh right, right, that must be why the death penalty was pronounced on HIM. He now will have to work for a living because he "hearkened unto the voice" of his wife, yeah, rather than the command of the One who created him.

Feminists Bibliobiggot: God punishes Eve, and all women after her, with the pains of childbirth Just more OUTR --

Christian Scholar: why doesn't Feminist rant against evolution for not getting rid of this?

Feminists Bibliobiggot: whats all this subjection to men crap

Christian Scholar: Adam was meant to have a benevolent headship role, but Eve usurped that and took the lead, so God was stating the reality that after the Fall this would so often result in unhappy subjection. But Christianity has done more for the lot of women than any other philosophy. Get a grip www.christian-thinktank.com...

Feminists Bibliobiggot: A clever serpent (God's most "subtil beast") talks to Eve about trees, death, and the knowledge of good and evil. He persuades her to eat the forbidden fruit. She takes the first bite and gets the full blame (3:12, 16).

Christian Scholar: Not at all -- the Bible frequently makes it clear that death and suffering in the world is due to Adam's sin (Romans 5:12-19, 1 Corinthians 15:21-22), and in Genesis 3:19 it's Adam to whom God addresses the death penalty.

- Con

[edit on 31-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
and so, instead of just deciding that she wasn't the girl for you, you think that your words....shut up, and sit down, and let me do my thing....will change her. You think that you, a mere mortal, should have the right to change her...a creation of GOD....
Is that what you think?

Hi there,, I just wanted to ask you,, are YOU a "Christian"? Or just being Sarcastic?

- Con

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

naa....God created man and women, and well man just had to always have everything his way, so there was alot of disharmony. after much intervening from God, none of which would convince the man that he shouldn't always have things his way, God gave up and just commanded the women to give him whatever he wanted...since, well, God figured out that that was the only way that the earth would ever be populated...

HA HA AGAIN,, I got to ask,, are YOU a Christian? Or are you just makin stuff up for lack of understanding? I don't mean to be flip but with all due respect,, if you want to be of any help to GOD with the vitriol this thread is indicative of by its very name,, well,, If you are may I ask where you are getting this from? Or perhaps I could suggest a link or two to you in a U2U message if you wouldn't mind the intrusion?

- Con

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Is that what you think?

Hi there,, I just wanted to ask you,, are YOU a "Christian"? Or just being Sarcastic?

- Con

do I really need to be a "christian" to believe that each one of us is a creation of the creator?

but, to answer you question....I was a christian...till I got the not so spoken massage from the church...in that hey, ya , christ wants to save you, but then he'll just turn you over to the male in your life and well, it's him you are to obey, it's him that you are to serve, and it's him who has the power to drag you into hell with him if he wishes...
it was a pretty down to earth, take the bible literally church!!

now, it's no thanks...the doctrine is in error somewhere obviously, and well, I can believe in the creator without the lies thank you!

the other quote you put up, I was just being sarcastic....

[edit on 31-12-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

it's like they built things in so that you wouldn't question the books and present them with difficult questions... very conspiratorial

OMG you crack me up! Madness,, ha ha I got to say,, I expected nothing less from you. You really need to get that chip off your shoulder guy.

Because it's YOU and I like ya,, you go ahead,, ask the tougest questions you got,, I've heard em all and their ain't one that can't be answered without making you wish you hadn't been so presumptuous.

Try me.

OH yeah the Bible does speak of conspiracy but it isn't the kind you would need to worry about. Its called "spiritual warfare"

yeah I know,, pathetic

but ill fight it nevertheless

Warm regards

- Con

[edit on 31-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

The contradictions abound, I would venture to guess if the bible had a recipe for chicken noodle soup, in the end you would end up with meatloaf or pot roast.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by LDragonFire]

Yeah you Atheists have stolen the idea and incorporated into your theory called "Negative Mutation" ha ha naah im jus teasin wit cha.

Seems you have a lot to get off your chest their or you just waking up onery today?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

now, it's no thanks...the doctrine is in error somewhere obviously, and well, I can believe in the creator without the lies thank you!

the other quote you put up, I was just being sarcastic....

[edit on 31-12-2007 by dawnstar]

WoW,, I'm sorry you got treated that way and truthfully is why I asked in the first place. I see many Christians answering questions or as you said in your own experience,, I'd seen someone in the Church doin that to ya , I'd ask them if they were a Christian too. If they said yes,, I'd ask them why are they treating you like a subject for an exorcism then.

Well,, again,, thats a shame,, I think woman are the coolest thing God created and should be treated BETTER then men

I think woman get a raw deal in ways I don't think even they see happening they are so accustomed to being interupted and ,, just hate seeing it.

- Con

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think it's still a greatest conspiracy on ATS that mods still haven't changed the thread title to the appropriate one, or at least adding the " " to the title.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I don't think i've seen this thread before. it's in the bible it must be true. And yes, i'd like woman to shut up and eat their dinner and stop talking while I do my things.

That's the reason I got a divorce, my wife was trying all to be over me and tell me what to do, I mean she wouldn't shut up at church. Sounds macho and all, but I feel it's true. I was dating a girl a while back and she was getting way too bossy for my taste..we no longer date. I told her on the phone, that I was to be "the master and she the servant" and I don't think she liked that..good thread, gave you a star.
I bet you have a ton of chicks line for you huh cowboy

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I am a Christian and I have seen this scripture taken out of context and used (misused) and abused toward women. This is one of them.

I have also been to Israel and visited the remains of synagogues from that period. There is a story to this scripture. In that day the men sat on one side of the synagogue and the women sat on the other. It was custom for the women to learn from their husbands at home. While "church" (if you want to call it) was going on in the synagogue, there were many questions the women had and instead of waiting to get back to the house, they were yelling across the synagogue, 'Hey Harry, what does that mean?" You understand, this caused chaos in the service and everyone was yelling back and forth, husbands answering questions their wives had thrown across the isle. Total confusion and chaos. That is what led to this scripture.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

reply to post by jbondo

Originally posted by jbondo
Dude, you were given plenty of examples but obviously you were not paying attention.

Apparently

Just another case of someone opening up the Bible and spouting off. I would advise you to get educated as to what the scriptures are actually saying and then come back.

I was a Christian for about 14 years, I do much more than spout off. Ok I'm going to make it easy for you, Do tell me what this is saying:

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. DEUTERONOMY 22:28-29

A raped woman must marry the rapist, is this what you would want for your daughter???

I do believe that the man is the head of the household and should put his wife on a pedestal as the queen of his domain. I am a Christian who has learned respect and honor for women via that very book you ridicule. Funny how it is teaching us two different philosophies but then again I read it every day and still need clarification on occasion. How about you?

So do I, and most of it makes perfect since to me, as ugly as it might be.
whats ugly about idont know what type of women you meet but my GF future (wife 6mts) is the crown jewel in OUR family crown and i take any advise she gives me shes my bestfriend and i dont know one person who dont respect thier bf opinion

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join