It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women need to shut up and sit down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I’m not posting this to offend women. I don’t in anyway agree with the title of this thread, but from my research this is the opinion of the holy bible towards women. The conspiracy is that millions of women believe in the bible, but just how many know it’s view of them. I’m interested in the opinion of members and of women and of Christian women members regarding what the bible states.

This IMHO is disturbing to say the least. I personally enjoy a strong willed woman, that will not submit to me easily, but has a mind of her own, with her own opinions and strengths. To me the bible wishes you to be mindless and weak.

34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 1 Corinthians 14:34

1A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety. I TIMOTHY 2:11-15

18Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Colossians 3:18

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. EPHESIANS 5:22-24

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this. Deuteronomy 22:5

There are Many more.

I got the verses here biblegateway
It seems insane to follow a book that has such a low opinion of women.
What say you?

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I dont care much for religion at all. This sounds about as crazy as the rest of it.

We dont need religions, only spirituality and care for our fellow human beings.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
WOW !!!!

I'ma gonna don an asbestos suit and run to the hills, even if I didn't say nothin...

*leaves a suit for LDragon cos he's gonna need it....*

Byeeeeeeeeeee.......

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
for me i dont even care because the words ofhe bible were chosen by constintine and his MEN so for me the bible was writen by MEN for MEN and is a load of rubbish.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Such quotes just make it more obvious that the bible was indeed written by men, not god. I feel bad for the women who believe this stuff and submit themselves to domineering husbands because they feel that it's part of god's law. Unfortunately such things are put into the minds of children who are brainwashed by this kind of cult-thinking from day one.

On the bright side, at least people aren't executed for heresy or witchcraft anymore, making it that much easier to grow beyond this primitive biblical thinking.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No worries. I stopped being religious when a preacher tried to convince me that women came from Adams rib. I am just fine without it. My boys are raised to be good husbands and honest members of society. No hypocrite here.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's not just the bible and Christianity that portrays women in a subservient role, Islam and Hinduism does the same. Hindu scriptures even calls for a married woman to throw herself on her husband's funeral pryre
Funny how we Hindus, men and women alike can worship a female deity, yet treat women as second class citizens.

There is definitely a conspiracy in most major religions to silence and shut down the woman.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Such quotes just make it more obvious that the bible was indeed written by men, not god. I feel bad for the women who believe this stuff and submit themselves to domineering husbands because they feel that it's part of god's law. Unfortunately such things are put into the minds of children who are brainwashed by this kind of cult-thinking from day one.

On the bright side, at least people aren't executed for heresy or witchcraft anymore, making it that much easier to grow beyond this primitive biblical thinking.

so true exactly what i believe especially the witchcraft part i would have been burned a long time ago if that was still happening

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There are tons of verses in the bible, that taken out of context, as above can 'prove' anything.
If you take all the quotes about 'wheels within wheels' and shields in the sky, and pillars of fire in the sky, etc. and string those together, I guess you could say the bible was all about ufos.
The message of the bible is to try to be a better human. To look outside yourself. To aspire to something better.

There is crap in all religions.
But the biggest load of crap is the way the original intent is perverted, misquoted, and bastardized by humans with an agenda.

The title of this 'piece' is one example.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by Alexander the o.k.]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the o.k.
There is crap in all religions.
But the biggest load of crap is the way the original intent is perverted, misquoted, and bastardized by humans with an agenda.

The title of this 'piece' is one example.

Feel free to enlighten the rest of us what was really meant by those words. How do you mean they are taken out of context?

Here is another one on the same subject:

Genesis 3:16 (New International Version)
I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
with pain you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.

I agree that it very much sounds like men wrote the bible. Not only is God really a nice bloke to increase the pain of childbearing, but he also says women are meant to be ruled by men.

Well, excuse me if I dont fall over in my admiration of these wise words...

[edit on 10-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Pretty funny about the clothing, since what men wore back then would likely be considered women's clothing, today:

Moses

Often, there was some sort of obscure law that this was mandating other than what we would think. Not to defend this stuff, but it may be a way to proscribe against paganism or something.

Indeed, the Bible also says:

Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together. (NIV, Deuteronomy 22:11)

...which sounds pretty absurd.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Nice post LDragonFire.

It seems insane to follow a book that has such a low opinion of women.
What say you?

LDragonFire

...was writen by MEN for MEN...

kerrichin

...obvious that the bible was indeed written by men, not god.

Kruel

My sentiments exactly, the word of man, not God.

It has taken thousands of years to get to this point in our evolution and still we struggle against enforced ignorance and superstition, designed to benefit the few at the expense of us all.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Go back and read it several hundred times.
It's pretty clear.
I am not here to 'enlighten' you.
That's your job.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The Bible can't be taken literally. Alot of it was written by Man for his own personal agenda.

Don't get me wrong though. I think some parts of it are very wise and true.

But most American women would be going straight to hell if they were judged on what they wore when they got up to the "pearly gates" or whether they obeyed their husbands all the time.

Personally I don't think God cares what I wear as long as try to be a loving and good person.

God also gave women their own minds to question and judge things for themselves.

If he'd wanted us to be so submissive as what's described in the Old Testament. I think he would've designed us to be more along the lines of being "stepford wives".

[edit on 10-10-2007 by elaine]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the o.k.
reply to post by Copernicus

Go back and read it several hundred times.
It's pretty clear.
I am not here to 'enlighten' you.
That's your job.

OK, I just figured that since you said it was taken out of context, you would know what you meant by saying that.

Of course now I understand that you just read what it says several hundred times until it starts making sense to you... you know what else works that way? Brainwashing. If you repeat something over and over and over again, people start to believe it.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
But most American women would be going straight to hell if they were judged on what they wore when they got up to the "pearly gates"

I'll be straight there after you.

I heard Heaven was a men only club..All golf courses,Football stadiums and watering pot plants with God.

I'll take my chances with all the girlies that go in the opposite direction..
Hey You're a long time dead and I'm not very good at golf

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
The Bible can't be taken literally. Alot of it was written by Man for his own personal agenda.

Don't get me wrong though. I think some parts of it are very wise and true.

God also gave women their own minds to question and judge things for themselves.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by elaine]

Well said!

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Many of the really ancient religions were female-based, worship of a female deity, with matriarchy being the way things were run. In the most primitive lifestyles, men and women were separate, but equal -- hunter/gatherer tribes to this day still follow this ancient way of life.

It seems to me that when our ancestors stopped being hunter/gatherers and became agrarian (farmers and herders) and the concept of personal ownership of land and resources developed, religions became much more patriarchal and misogynistic. It probably has something to do with the fact that men were the owners and defenders of property, and women became part of the property owned, instead of equals in an egalitarian society.

Owning women and "keeping them in place" would protect the genes of the men who owned them, so that the property passed down through the male line would be protected. Otherwise there would be no telling if your son was actually your neighbor's, and this human cuckoo would end up owning property that was the man's and his ancestors.

Religion being the keepers of laws in those times, it makes sense that the religions would put women down in a subservient role and keep them there. It's not nice, and it's not modern, but it makes a grim kind of sense.

The pity is that, in this day and age of DNA paternity testing, women are still treated as if they were chattel and not equals.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

i'm all for that throwing yourself on a spouse's funeral pyre thing so long as it goes both ways...

ok, lil bit of humor

anyway, yes, the bible is not unique among religions, they're all misogynistic.

...yet some christians would disagree, waiting to see that happen

starred and flagged

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
There is definitely a conspiracy in most major religions to silence and shut down the woman.

either that, or they were keeping with tradition to write everything based on the study of nature, which would also include the female nature of being submissive. It's all part of the duality. Now to take this all literally as fundamentalists do... is another problem altogether. I would argue the conspiracy lies within those who try to convince everyone the bible is to be taken verbatim, as opposed to whoever wrote said religious text (not just the bible).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join