It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Church

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snake Plisskin
Also the claim that in the game you are rewarded for killing the sentient aliens and you become holy and "earn a halo" is a bit misleading. Have you even played the game??

I don't think anyone claimed that the game rewards your character with a halo. It is true that the game (as with nearly all FPS games) rewards killing of beings, be they "good or evil", but the remarks regarding holy halos was, perhaps, meant more in the vein that the game has no place in churches. It was a a play on words.
A church that promotes peace and chastises killing and violence promotes itself using violent games where you cut a bloody swathe through veritable armies of foes.

Also, the religious links with video games was brought up by LDragonFire when s/he linked to this: The Purpose Driven Life Takers (Part 1)

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Nowhere is Halo being marketed as a christian game. Go to Bungie's website, hell even email them and they will also assure you it has no religious ties. Also I have beaten all three halos and nowhere do you try to convert anyone. You as master cheif save humanity for an alien race trying to destroy everything.

Where do you come up with these false facts. What are your sources?

Bungie's Halo 3 site

Just follow the link and do some research on the game. Want to know what I think? I think you are just anti-christian. I think you are prejudice against something you do not understand. Simple as that.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Then I am thinking of another game that I have seen that does, though I forget the source right off the bat.

Still it has no place in church. It is a house of worship, not an arcade.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Then I am thinking of another game that I have seen that does, though I forget the source right off the bat.

Your body is the Temple of God.
The church building is just a building

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Your body is the Temple of God.
The church building is just a building

stop stating the obvious like I am some sort of fool.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

stop stating the obvious like I am some sort of fool.

Just reminding you, that the house of worship is not the same as the Temple of the time of Yeshua (Jesus). The shekinah use to reside in the Temple, now it resides in the believer.
Whereever 2 or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them. So if 2 or more are in a car, on the street, at the beach, in a grocery store, if they stop to pray together or share worshipful topics, same same. But it doesn't requiire 2 to make a Temple, only 1.
The building use to mean something, now it's just a place, just like any other place.

[edit on 9-10-2007 by undo]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This makes me wish that when I was a teen we could do this stuff at my church. We were lucky to be able to listen to rock music......as long as it was praising god at least.......

This makes me wonder where my faith is actually going....

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I love video games, but, really, isn't the whole point of church to teach moral values? Somehow Halo seems counterproductive to that teaching.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lifeadventurer
I love video games, but, really, isn't the whole point of church to teach moral values? Somehow Halo seems counterproductive to that teaching.

Well that's what they say it's for, but technically-speaking, it's no different than any other place. (you're supposed to teach moral values at home too, so really, what seems to be the problem is the idea that christians are playing a video game, in this case a violent one, that other people play (But because other people are not claiming to have a moral value system (supposedly) it's okay if they do. i think this is the crux of the complaint).

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
WOW people. Its just a video game and its "HALO" HELLO.... halo.... you kill aliens in this game. STOP acting like a VIDEO GAME is real life. Its harmless fun thats it. Its not real and its not a real place where your kiling aliens. Some people take things to the ABSOLUTE extreme.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by xHADEEZx]

[edit on 14-10-2007 by xHADEEZx]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Been reading about these 'copycat killings' across the world lately -- personally, it's the NWO campaign for mass-mind control. These games breed suicide killers, no different then the 'suicide bombers' affecting the globe.

Without regulation, aside from a 'warning' sticker and age limits, "gaming culture" is turning into the perfect NWO/illuminati weapon -- capitalism. Either the kids, even older people, are wasting many hours w/ this drivel or out killing people or themselves, let alone, who know how many kids think about the premise of these games when away from them. Of course, they do! They *have to* "beat" the game, so obviously it will be on their mind.

I don't expect regulation anytime soon, in the meantime, parents should monitor the content of games -- better yet, inspire your child's creativity, which is what the video game industry is stunting.

Should they (your kids) give you the, "I want to be a programmer" routine -- then make sure they're learning 'programming' instead of violence.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by anhinga]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join