It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts: Amoeba Doesn't Pose Health Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

aapnews.excite.com

Email this Story

Oct 5, 4:55 PM (ET)

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Recent tests have shown that a brain-eating amoeba is in Tucson's water supply, but experts say the microscopic bug doesn't pose any health risks.

Tucson Water chlorinates its well water before distribution, killing the amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri before the water hits taps.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed news article link]

[edit on 6-10-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I find this artical that I came across today very frightening. They state in the article that the water is safe to drink and that the clorine in the water makes it safe before it hits the tap. But, It doesn't make me convinced. So, I'm thinking of buying a water filter for our faucet. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type to get? Thanks for your time.

xxxx
Prax

apnews.excite.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed news article link]

[edit on 6-10-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The water treatment plant will also filter the water before it is pumped out of the mains. Bacterial infections in tap water do happen but are somewhat rare. Usually, it is an innocent bacteria such as Iron bacteria that will form colonies.

Water districts are required by law to perform as certain number of tests per day for any number of things. The size of the system dictates how many times these tests, and what tests, are performed. Tucson is a somewhat large city, I'd guess that several dozen samples per day are collected throughout the system just for chlorine and bacterial testing.

Now for a home unit. You can get a cheap one that just fits on the spout. They can be pricey, but they are all cheaply built. If you want that route, buy one that has silver impregnation in it. Silver is a natural bactericide and these units grow a slime of bacteria in them after a couple of months. Silver stops this.

I'd look at a larger unit that fits under the kitchen cabinet with replaceable cartridges. These are nicer units and the cartridge can be changed once a month or so.

You'll read about filters with carbon in them for removal of chlorine and chlorine based byproducts called chloramine compounds. Remember the silver, this is important again as the chlorine is removed from water that may just sit in the filter and grow.

You will find dozens of manufactures and hundreds of units if you really researched this. Take your time in looking at this. If you happen to have a plumber you normally use or know a plumber, this would be the person to ask.

I'm a master plumber by trade but do many other things. (don't even use my license anymore)

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thank you Hinky! I'll look into it, and remember the silver! I appreciate your reply.

I remember my dad bought one a few years back and it was one that fit under the sink, and that you replaced the cartridge. It worked pretty well. I'll have to ask my mom what brand they bought.

Thanks again.

xxxx
Prax

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The thought of having a brain eating amoeba in my water supply is unsettling as well. Having worked in dialysis for over 20 years one of my main functions is ensuring medical grade water for patient treatments. The chlorine/chloramine additions to your treated water at tap is sufficient to kill 99.9 percent of all organisms be it a surface or ground water feed. You can go from 25 to 10,000 dollars plus on what system you would like for your home. I recently read a brita water filter 'pitcher' type system is best for potable water. Reverse osmosis, carbon pre treatment require constant attention/maintenance and in many cases require lab monitoring, especially when a holding tank is involved. Add on to drinking water taps like the bruen screw on types (small carbon/sediment filters) were also praised. However, anything having a carbon media must be changed at recommended intervals or you can build up a bioload of not good things. Hope that helps. However, I just read yesterday somewhere in Florida they had to super chlorinate the city munincipal lines because of bioload and urging all residents to use and flush as much water as possible. Probably a broken or cracked main somewhere.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Also the amoeba gaining all this notoriety needs to gain nasal entrance to migrate to the brain. Even if ingested stomach acids would make quick work of it. Is always a fresh water organism. So if swimming in warm lakes or rivers I'd wear a gorky nose protector. The presence of the organism seems directly proportional to temp of water, the higher the worser. Can also be found in poorly chlorinated/maintained swimming pools.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ships in the old days found a bar of silver in the casks of water would maintain water potability. However silver is one of the 18 heavy metal contaminants that can be highly toxic.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
dont drink the water buy bottled water its much cheaper. kinda anyway its better than a hospital bill. i thought it had something to do with warm setting water and sticking your head in it? which lead me to the conclusion that the people who died from the brain eating amoeba propably deserved it. or atleast werent gonna last long anyway. "imma go stick my head in this puddle over here ill catch up with you guys in a minute"

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is still quite a rarity. Of the 24 'documented' cases in history of the US 6 did happen so far this year. Rare, but quickly lethal, it doesn't help symptoms present as flu and by the time they get labs back your dead. Usaully in five days. Has been successfully treated with high doses of anitbiotics if your lucky enough to get a doc who checks for it early. Lord knows how many cases go undiagnosed but still is relatively rare for now.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We have ameoba's living in our freshwater ponds here in central Florida. You hear about somebody dying from it at least once a month in the summer months. That's from getting the water in your ears though, I don't know what iy would do if it was ingested.

new topics

top topics

join