It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain To Go After Smoking Drivers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I actually find that smoking while driving helps me get past all that road rage and helps me relax. So smoking actually make me a better driver than some guy who wants to cut in front of every idiot who passed without signaling.

This is what happens in countries where the citizens dont protest against such garbage.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
We wont protest because 70% support such a law.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
most people want smoking gone here it kills you and stinks to high heaven, and cctv is mainly around city centres like london where they are used to identify criminals and im glad of them there, they are generally not in the outskirts of cities or suburbs it is definatley not a police state and if you include it with europe its an incredibly liberal place just a pity i pay a ludicrous amount of tax

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Thank god I dont live in such a place...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

Do not go there !!! there has been thread after thread about cctv and GB being a police state , its not wise ...... nice weather for the time of year what ???

Git

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

I'm glad you don't live in the United Kingdom

This is what happens in countries where the citizens dont protest against such garbage.

Well, 70% support the law. It's called D-E-M-O-C-R-A-C-Y

Definitions of democracy on the Web:

* the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives
* a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
* majority rule: the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

[edit on 6-10-2007 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There are three things I thought of when reading this thread:

Yes, smokers are vilified and non-smokers tend to deify themselves. I find it annoying.

I too find the use of cell phones, application of makeup, and a number of other things far more alarming than smoking while driving.

I am appalled at the laws already in place and the number of cops I pass on the road violating these laws. (read: cell phones/speeding/cutting off others/following VERY closely)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

In this case I would support Ghandi's definition: oppression of the minority by the majority.

Or perhaps Marx's (Lenin's?): two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner

I'm sure you could find substantial majorities that support the "War On Drugs" too, but that doesn't make it any less foolish or destructive.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
this is pretty friggin lame....driving without due care...thats FUNNY.

i do not smoke but i do not support this at all.

i love how the law puts all these regulations on the driver cause of safety..can't talk on the phone and can't smoke a butt.

yet, where are the restrictions/enforcement on keeping your car in a decent state?
hundreds of thousands of people are out there rolling in unsafe cars....as long as they sign that paper saying they have insurance and they pass emissions check, that all that matters.

never mind the tie rods are roached or the rear wheel cylinders are blown....lets go after smokers....

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I agree with that law in GB,why they already drive on the wrong side of the road,they don't need another hurdle to cross

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I'm glad you don't live in the United Kingdom

I wouldnt want to!

Definitions of democracy on the Web:

Thats also called "MOB RULE". Go look that up in your dictionary. I dont have the patience to do it for you.

In the US, which is a constitutional republic more than a simple democracy the rights of minority are protected because our founding fathers knew that there may come a time; like how England is now, when some sanctimonious idiots might try to enforce their perspective on others simply because they were the bigger "mob". Thats why the protected citizens rights so that this 'mob-o-cracy' farce doesnt take place.

I'm glad that you think your system is "representative" because as in most cases, the illusion of an egalitarian system is all that some people really need.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by IAF101]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

like how England is now

Seeings you don't have the intelligence, or respect, to learn the offical name of my country (United Kingdom) why should I take your comments and view point into account?

Learn my country's constitution before making comments about it in future.

I'm glad that you think your system is "representative" because as in most cases, the illusion of an egalitarian system is all that some people really need

It is though.
We vote for a representative to speak our views at parliament. We don't vote for our government or Prime Minister.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I know smoking is a bad move,but I am a re ensnared smoker,quit for years back on the blighters now...
I would never smoke in a place where there are non smokers,never have out of courtesy for more than 10 years.

But come on folks,you can see the net is tightening,this is not about smoking any more,this is about the creeping fascist agenda,what the so called "conspiracy theorists"(proud to be one)have been talking about for ages is now happening.

Anyone read 2000AD comic in the 80s/90s?

But hell...thATS just a crazy futuristic sci fi vision of the future isn`t it...that sort of thing just could not happen in our real world...mwhahahahah,
oh dear me it has already.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
But come on folks,you can see the net is tightening,this is not about smoking any more,this is about the creeping fascist agenda,what the so called "conspiracy theorists"(proud to be one)have been talking about for ages is now happening.

No, smoking should be banned completely, they arent going far enough.

It should be made illegal and people should be arrested for possession. Smokers are on the same level as junkies as proved by their pathetic behaviour they go to just to get their fix.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
so in that line of thinking, all drinkers are alcoholics and should be rehabilitated?

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trask
so in that line of thinking, all drinkers are alcoholics and should be rehabilitated?

No, alcoholism isnt a disease, its a lack of self control.

Nearly all smokers are addicted, nearly all alcohol drinkers are not addicted.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I do not want to begin a circular argument on what defines "addiction" and "casual use" and further derail the topic at hand, so I will simply agree to disagree on this particular subject.

I would like to ask why you take such an adamant stance against smoking. No offense meant, I am wondering what led you to being so strident in your conviction.

Back on topic, I still think it's stupid to go target smoking specifically and not other things specifically that also distract one from driving. (ie, eating/stereo use/etc.)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Smoking stinks, people who smoke have bad breath, discoloured teeth, their hair smells, their clothes smell and whats worse, come into contact with a smoker and you smell disgusting for the rest of the day. Smokers really dont know how bad they smell, even hours after smoking.

Someone can drink 10 pints a day and it wont affect me, someone smokes in the same room and I need a shower and change of clothes. Imagine the worst case of B.O. youve ever smelt, now imagine if that transferred to you until you could get a shower and change of clothes and then youd realise what we have to put up with.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Flyer, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. You have some valid points and I agree with you. (I was surprised that you didn't mention the smell and nicotine residue that exists in a smokers home or the considerable cost to maintain the habit - I notice it)

I don't mean to be a nag, but did anyone in your family smoke? Why do you feel so strongly, or is it just one of those things?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trask
Flyer, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. You have some valid points and I agree with you. (I was surprised that you didn't mention the smell and nicotine residue that exists in a smokers home or the considerable cost to maintain the habit - I notice it)

I don't mean to be a nag, but did anyone in your family smoke? Why do you feel so strongly, or is it just one of those things?

Well at the moment, its their right to smoke in their own home, I just wont go there.

Yeah both parents smoked so Ive witnessed everything 1st hand. Getting asthma and not having a sense of smell as a kid (only really got it 3 or 4 years after I left home) contributes a lot towards my feelings as I suspect it would you too if your health was directly affected by someone elses drug habit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join