It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ricg around the rosey... children don't understand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Not sure if this belongs in this place. Change if necessary.

I don't understand this, I mean, I used to play ring around the rosey when I was a child but I never understood the lyrics to the song untill I grew up a little.

"Ring around the rosey.
Pocket full of poseys,
Ashes, ashes,
We all fall down"

This is a song about "The Black Death" The plague that killed 90-95% percent of the people who obtained it. Personally, I am not sure if I would like my children singing about death.

"The Black Death came in three forms, the bubonic, pneumonic, and septicemic. Each different form of plague killed people in a vicious way. All forms were caused by a bacterium called Yersinia pestis."

sited:www.insecta-inspecta.com...

It is probably one of the worst childhood songs I have ever heard now that I think about it. I mean as an adult now, who really thinks about these things, it kind of makes me sad. Reason being, is because, well, think about it. That plague killed so many people and I would prefer not to even have to think about it, let alone, sing about it. If anyone has anything to say about, please do say something, I would LOVE to know what is going on in their minds

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
preparing our youth to be more tolerant of "big brother"?

He's making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!
O! You better watch out!
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If you look into the folklore of these rhymes and stories, they have interesting origins. Many are metaphors for events happening in those times. Take a look at where and how the stories began, and they tell more of a story. Hansel and Gretal was always a story of interest.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the humor of those days has been lost. When children sing of adult things and don't even know it -well, that is supposed to be funny. Many nursury rhymes were political. I think Humpty Dumpty was king George.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wizard of Oz is political.

Yellow brick road = gold
emerald city = money
ruby slippers = jewels

i don't remeber the rest.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
ya its interesting about the whole ring around the rosy thing, but it isnt breaking news seeing as how its meaning is part of the school curriculum

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The version i remember went:

Ring a ring a roses.
pocket full of posies,
Atishu Atishu,
We all fall down

Which kind of explains getting ill and dying.

top topics

join