It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly is an African American?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Young Mr. Trevor has all rights to call himself an African-American....however since his skin is white, why did he go for "Outstanding Black Student award"?

If Black is black and White is White, why did he feel he was justified as a WHITE AFRIKANER to go for a BLACK Student Award? IT WAS NOT an outstanding AFRICAN AMERICAN AWARD?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tweeker
crap that sounded bad man is just a man woman is just a woman......what i should have said was a person was just a person

No need to worry. This isn't a PC thing in my opinion.

But I think you're on to something about the media... they, along with politicians whip the masses into voting blocks along emotional lines surrounding invented issues that have no bearing on one's own life.

If 10% of a student population wants to get together to host a dinner for an inspiring African American student on MLK day, that does not take away from the class Valedictorian (in my opinion) whether he or she be white, black whatever. Or the elected Student body President, whatever.

And if a gay couple wants legal recognition for protection of personal property, taxes and healthcare decisions, I can't IMAGINE how that affects the "sanctity of my own marriage". It's issue diversion. Misdirection and manipulation, plain and simple.

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Worldwatcher

I mayhave missed something but here is what I got.....

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- Westside High School officials have disciplined a group of students who papered the school with more than 100 posters advocating a white student from South Africa for the school's "Distinguished African American Student Award."

Doesnt say anything about being black, but like I said I might have missed it.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
i totally agree allthough i think everyone should be able to attend the dinner maybee that would help inspire people to open thier minds.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
my bad!! Black Jackal's word's were in my mind when I wrote that, so that's why I voiced that particular opinion. But according to the newspaper it was an "African American Award" so yeah...he had all rights to go for it.

(quote from BlackJackal's original post)

"According to this Article a young student Trevor Richards, 16 who is of African Descent has been suspended for 4 days for posting ad's with pictures of himself asking for votes for Outstanding Black Student Award. You might ask yourself what is wrong with that? Well the problem is that young Trevor has white skin and not black even though he immigrated here from South Africa. "

[Edited on 1-24-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Funny you that you bring up women....because Affirmative Action benefits and applies WHITE WOMEN more than it does blacks and other minorities.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

But according to the newspaper it was an "African American Award" so yeah...he had all rights to go for it.

Some one stated that since his ancesters were not from africa he should not be allowed to.

How would that be different than saying a young black man should not be able to accept an award for a say "young american award"? His ancesters are not from america are they? heck I guess the only ones that could accept it are the indians.

This is the problem we you allow race to be a factor in ANYTHING, then you open up this whole can of worms.

Maybe someday we will outgrow this

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The problem is, is that people STILL MAKE A BIG DEAL OF THIS.

Many people are focused at the white population in the race relations department. And although there are many black americans who actually understand Martin Luther Kings messages, there are many who use his message wrongly.

MLK would of course want anyone from Africa to be eligiable.

It's so obvious that he wanted both sides to let go of the hatred and distain they have for one another.

BOTH sides. Basically, let's not argue semantics. It's demeaning to intellegent people.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

BOTH sides. Basically, let's not argue semantics. It's demeaning to intellegent people.

I agree 100%

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Maybe someday we will outgrow this

I fecking well hope so. This is ridiculous.
Does this mean that I'm an Irish-Englishman ? My ancestors came from Ireland but I was born in England.

Whoever decided these stupid descriptions is definitely a

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So If an American were reside in africa, he would be called an "american-african".
My parents are from india and are refered to as "Indo-Canadian".
No If I were to move to American, I would be a "Candian-American"?

Deep

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
african american is not black. they are american. plan and simple. i dont go around saying that im a english-german american. and do they clam dule citizenship to a coutry in africa, no. they are american. simple as that.

[Edited on 1-24-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well I find it troubling that the PC world is not only divisive, but annoying.

Last time I checked, we were all people.

Sometimes I envy blind people.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This divisiveness that comes with that lable. I guess I could call myself a Irish/Scottish/German - American... I I consider myself just an American all the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
So I assume they have an outstanding White student award, you know to keep it Fair and Balanced?

lol

What about Asian?

funny world

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I WANT MY WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION CHANNEL.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think thats called CMT.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I think thats called CMT.

*wonders what the hell CMT is*

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Beware: www.cmt.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
ROFL!

It's burning my ears! Cracker Man Television is hurting me!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join