It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly is an African American?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Isn't an African American a person who is of African Descent? If you answered yes you are wrong and you just offended the real African Americans. Aren't you proud of yourself you racist.

According to this Article a young student Trevor Richards, 16 who is of African Descent has been suspended for 4 days for posting ad's with pictures of himself asking for votes for Outstanding Black Student Award. You might ask yourself what is wrong with that? Well the problem is that young Trevor has white skin and not black even though he immigrated here from South Africa.

"My son is not a racist," she told the Omaha World-Herald. "He has black friends, friends from Bangladesh and Egypt. Color has never been an issue in our home."

"It was a very innocent thing," she said.

Two of her son's friends were disciplined along with him, she said. A fourth student was punished for circulating a petition Tuesday criticizing the practice of recognizing only black student achievement with the award, she said.

Tylena Martin, a junior, said the poster had been on the door to her homeroom class where she is the only black student. She said she felt hurt by the posters and the backlash that ensued.

I have noticed a few things here. Blacks want to be called African Americans but want to exclude anyone with white skin that may have African Descent.

A boy got in trouble for circulating a petition. What is the hell is wrong with that?

Apparantly the posters have offended black students so this must be discrimination. IMO this is a bunch of crap.

Click Here for Article

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well, that's the human race for you. If you are not like me, colour or what not, then you must be less then me. I'm glad that I am a recluse.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
but he is not black. He may be from Africa but the award was for oustanding black achievement.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
sorry, got it wrong, black student achievment

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Why do they need their own awards anyways? They are not competitive with the rest of students?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Why do they need their own awards anyways? They are not competitive with the rest of students?

I don't see the point in making a conditional awards system based on color either. To me that seems just as Racist. It's like saying that Black's are to be considered separate when comparing student's achievements. Why? Is it because they are too smart to include with other students or too dumb? To single out any group as unequal, whether it is better or worse, is an insult.

As far as "African American" goes. Personally, I think it's nonsense. If you're American you're simply American. If someone is born in America and becomes a African citizen are they "American African"? If you're born in Africa and that is your Geographical origin then you're African, whether your white, black, or whatever. Your skin color doesn't establish geographical citizenship or origin of birth.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
sorry, got it wrong, black student achievement

No, it was the "Distinguished African American Student Award." An African-American is someone who is an American of African decent. If this kid was African by birth, then he should have been eligible to receive the award. That does not mean that he would have won it, only that he should have been eligible for it.

Another problem with this whole thing, is that to have an award that can only be won by a specific race, promotes the segregation and racism that Martin Luther King Jr. fought against. It supports the idea that blacks and whites are different and unequal.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
It supports the idea that blacks and whites are different and unequal.

Of course they are different. Whites are whites and blacks are blacks. And men are men, women are women and so on....So yes, we're all different. OTH, we're all humans, so we're all equals.

But the rules have to be the same for everyones.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
As far as "African American" goes. Personally, I think it's nonsense. If you're American you're simply American. If someone is born in America and becomes a African citizen are they "American African"? If you're born in Africa and that is your Geographical origin then you're African, whether your white, black, or whatever. Your skin color doesn't establish geographical citizenship or origin of birth.

I agree... Lots of "African Americans" have European or Asian ancestors also. Same with a lot of "caucasian Americans" who have African ancestors.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
I have noticed a few things here. Blacks want to be called African Americans but want to exclude anyone with white skin that may have African Descent.

A boy got in trouble for circulating a petition. What is the hell is wrong with that?

Well I wouldn't want him in trouble since it sounds more like a bad SNL skit with "South African American" Renee Zellwigger and Tracy Morgan than anything.

But the kid is not of African descent anymore than a blue eyed blonde is of American descent. As in the case of Native Americans, we're talking about the original inhabitants of the African continent... not the Dutch that came in as oppressors setting up a system of Aparthied.

If you don't know a white South African poking fun at being "black" may be considered in particularly in poor taste by some, study the practices of Aparthied. It doesn't bother me, as I said... I liked the Zellwigger skit. But I don't think Mandela would laugh.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I don't see the point in making a conditional awards system based on color either. To me that seems just as Racist.

You dont understand its only racist if it is awarded to whites only. If you ONLY discriminate against whites that is not racist that is justice because we must all pay for something that was done a couple hundred years ago even though we were not the only ones doing it and it has nothing to do with us indivigually today.

Even if you have just come to america you must still pay because of your skin color (if its white). Just because the boy was from africa and came to america does not make him an african american only people born in the US who have NEVER seen africa can be african americans.

The only way we can have true equality is for all whites to rounded up and sold into slavery so that they can pay for something they had nothing to do with, that is called justice.

Remember if you wear a shirt with KKK on it you are a racist bastard that does not deserve to live but if you wear a shirt that says "kill whitey" on nationwide TV you are just exersizing your free speach.

I hope this clears up everything for you. (scarcasm)

Yall know till we ALL grow up and quit looking at the skin on the man insteed of the man under the skin this # will NEVER get better.

No one Black, White, Brown, Red , Yellow or freaking green should be held down because of there race, sex, religion or daddys bank account.

Those things were wrong in the past and are wrong today

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Is there a asian american achievement award? a latin american achievement award? or dare I say a white achievement award? my god I am so tired of this garbage, the african american race cries for equallity but if they where to stop and really look at the whole situation they would see that awards like these and affirmitive action are holding them back. I really dont believe that african american leaders fight for these such programs that seperate the race from all others, is not what they do not want? equallity right?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tweeker
Is there a asian american achievement award? (Yes, and scholarships) a latin american achievement award? (Yes, and scholarships) or dare I say a white achievement award? (Yes, it's called 'small business loans' the others can't get and 'being President' if you don't need a loan in the first place) my god I am so tired of this garbage...

Me too. I'm sick of THIS being the number one issue among white conservatives (well, this and bashing homosexuals). To compound the insult to what progress AFFIRMATIVE ACTION (not rhetoric, not boot straps), AFFIRMATIVE ACTION (please read both words carefully), has made in this country, they always toss in the lily white observation that the programs that promote diversity are actually what's holding minorities down, not the good old boy network, not nepotism and not the status quo.

I am indeed sick of this garbage, but thankfully not enough to to make it my life's mission to sound like Rush Limbaugh hooting and hollaring about such nonsense as reverse racism, pointing to THAT myth for my own failures. Quit trying to help in matters that don't affect you (since everyone is so concerned) and help yourself.

And no I won't be engaging in a pizzing match about this here, as those closed minds that spew this hate NEVER learn.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So if I were a white American does that mean I could make people refer to me as a European American? Jesus! How confusing. I'm happy with you calling me white, and I'll call you black. I think it'll save on all the confusion.
Seriously though, you've got some weird stuff going on over there. Here in the UK white is white and black is black, none of this weird "African American" or "Latin American" crap you've got going on over there.

Where you born in America? Yeah? Then shut the hell up! You're American, full stop.

"But when a crime is reported on the news, if a white guy did it then in the description they say "male", yet if a black man did it they say "black male". Why don't they just say male for both? Or why don't they refer to them as a white male? Isn't that making us different from you? You're just a male unless you ain't white, then you're a special breed of male."

Yeah, you've got a point.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

But when a crime is reported on the news, if a white guy did it then in the description they say "male", yet if a black man did it they say "black male". Why don't they just say male for both? Or why don't they refer to them as a white male? Isn't that making us different from you? You're just a male unless you ain't white, then you're a special breed of male."

I cannot say for everywhere but here in our town they DO say a white male or black male or asian male, etc.
If the person is white they will say so, just like telling there hair color and what they were wearing, makes IDing them easier

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
sorry if i was not specific rant but when i asked about the other awards i was refering to that specific school not the country as a whole. and secondly to say my view on affirmative action is that of rush omg, if you want a program for underprivleged, it should be for everyone not a specific race no group should be without a chance of a fair shake so why should one group have a greater chance than another, every one should qualify on there merit or credintials not their race sexuallity or etc.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I understand Tweeker and appreciate your perspective.

All underpriveledged deserve a chance indeed.

But proportionally, that alone may not assist in the ultimate goal of diveristy and integration as well as specific programs of affirmation most certainly have. Condi Rice, nor any other black, would not be the advisor of the President of the United States without the likes of her own "fellowship" to the Council on Foreign Relations from Reagen in 1982.

Affirmative Action is not perfect, but neither is the world yet. I'm afraid on this issue those saying AA is no longer needed are a bit idealist.

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
A real MLK award would be one were all students were eligible for. MLK himself wanted everyone to be treated equal.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
maybee they need to find some way to revise the plan. i agree this is a very touchy subject but something needs to be done i see alot of new racism steming from this, maybee my generation is misguided from the media on the actuall workings of this program but if so something needs to be done to fix this. i hear allot from people my age commenting on a african american figure who has made a very good life for themseleves, saying they only got there from a handout refering to aa, i know this is not right but its happening. it seems to be dividing us more than it is bringing us togther it will be a nice day when a man is just a man and a woman is just a woman

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
crap that sounded bad man is just a man woman is just a woman......what i should have said was a person was just a person

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join