It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest illusion ever pulled off - Prayer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
OK... Here's my input. In the last few years there have been several coal mine cave ins, trapping miners. In one incident god "Saved"
all six. In the next he saved one out of twelve, and then recently he didn't save any, And people go on praying.. Beats me why. Ever notice the similarity between the words church and crutch?

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Larry B.]

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Larry B.]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

now as i stated in my original post i DO believe in the possibilty of an intelligent designer .. i just do not believe any religion on earth is even close in its assumptions. and most of these religion are an attempt to control the masses in one form or another ...

but just remember , 'YES' , 'NO' and 'WAIT'

and discuss the worlds best optical illusion.

That video was a complete and total waste of time. He tries to build your ego by telling you how very intelligent you are to dismiss God.....Idiot!

Did a jug of milk create your soul? Did a jug of milk create this world you live in and the air you breath? Does a jug of milk hold your soul in His hands? No!

Grow up and don't be taken in by such trash. You can't be older then ten years old to actually think his argument holds any water (oops, I mean milk). And I don't care if you are an atheist or believer....that video was ridiculous.

.........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whirlwind

That video was a complete and total waste of time. He tries to build your ego by telling you how very intelligent you are to dismiss God.....Idiot!

You haven't heard of the yes, no, or wait before?

Did a jug of milk create your soul? Did a jug of milk create this world you live in and the air you breath? Does a jug of milk hold your soul in His hands? No!

You can prove all of this, or do I have to believe and have faith to just know what you say is true?

Grow up and don't be taken in by such trash. You can't be older then ten years old to actually think his argument holds any water (oops, I mean milk). And I don't care if you are an atheist or believer....that video was ridiculous.

You believe in a God that interacted with people in the old testament yet does not interact with people today. You believe in a book that was written by man, and deemed inspired by God, by other men. And you want him to grow up.

Just because you believe does not make if Fact.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The video was good...It made it simple for everyone...The Bible thumpers are not going to change.....Whole generations have to be brought up without the religious influence......Lets have religions taught as they should be ..."just storys"...In the myth department...I see Natures Work all around me...Not some Gods work.....Just...Simply Nature at Work..To pray IS a good way to vent....And anybodys last words as you drown in the water "is God save me"...so... big deal....even that is just "conditioning"...What else would there be to say ??...
.........One must "fear God"...in order to "get along"....?...what are those people afraid of....oh ya,... probley the same types that think females should be covered.... to toe....or else they cannot control themselves...??..crazy world...

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Originally posted by whirlwind

You haven't heard of the yes, no, or wait before?

No I haven't. I have been taught and believe that prayer is speaking with your Father and asking for His forgiveness of your sins, asking Him to bless and take care of those you love and to lead, guide and direct your life so you are able to help others, so you are able to take His Word to others.......Not asking for things. I have never been disappointed.

I have had those I love die but I'm mature enough to understand that death is part of life. It will happen to all of us so when I pray asking for their life, I do it in His will.

You can prove all of this, or do I have to believe and have faith to just know what you say is true?

No, I cannot as it is by faith.

Hebrews 11:3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

6.But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.

You believe in a God that interacted with people in the old testament yet does not interact with people today. You believe in a book that was written by man, and deemed inspired by God, by other men. And you want him to grow up.

Just because you believe does not make if Fact.

God does interact with people today. He sent His Son and His Son sent the Holy Spirit and it interacts with us, at least it does with those that seek Him. The Book was inspired by God and penned by the men He chose. It shows evidence of His Divine inspiration to any of those that care to look.

You are correct....just because I believe does not make it true, however....just because you don't believe does not make it false.

............Whirlwind

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
One time I prayed for hope when I had none of it. I was completely demoralized and lost. Then I used a christian prayer for hope, and in one second, (literally guys) I went from total defeat to full of hope. My problem was eventually resolved with no damage done at all. And please note that this particular problem had great potential for destruction.

This problem is very personal, so I will refrain from revealing it.

Athiest, if you have an explanation for that, I would like to know.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Every story where god interacted with humans in the bible, was because they seeked him. It's in the text.

If someone has a qoute from the bible that disprooves what I just said, please post it.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wildcat

Not athiest.. Agnostic maybe... but I will give a shot of an explanation for your question.

It May have been the prayer for hope, but I myself would bend more towards your will being stronger for life than self destruction.

Human willpower is a wondrous thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildcat
One time I prayed for hope when I had none of it. I was completely demoralized and lost. Then I used a christian prayer for hope, and in one second, (literally guys) I went from total defeat to full of hope. My problem was eventually resolved with no damage done at all. And please note that this particular problem had great potential for destruction.

This problem is very personal, so I will refrain from revealing it.

Athiest, if you have an explanation for that, I would like to know.

your mind is a complicated and wondorous thing, when we face certain life/death situations our insticts tend to kick in to deal with the very best/worse of primevil situations.

i would say you had a defence mechanisim if you focus on defeat you will eventually self-destruct

But your mind reached out to all the things you have ever learned and grasped onto one, that will (at least for now) keep your sane enough to function correctly until you can figure it all out rationally.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
One of the things I found most illuminating about this thread was the obvious and (seemingly) insurmountable gulf between the opposing spectrums: To wit, there is no God vs. God is real and really cares about us.
But what about the third, more terrifying, option: That God exists and He/She/It is all too much like us.
That is, what if God is exactly like us? What if God is capricious, arbitrary and completely ruled by His passions? What if He does things merely on a whim or just because it makes Him happy at the time? What if He doesn't really always do "the right thing"?
For a Biblical support of this view, simply read Job. For those unfamiliar with it, God basically says He can do what He wants because - He's God.
Perhaps the Greeks/Romans/Babylonians, et al, were closer to the truth of God(s) than we modern minds are. If that be the case, then we are truly at peril.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join