It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myanmar forces open fire on protesters Update 13 dead :Troops occupy Buddhist monasteries, Internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobydog
When I say "taking over" I meant influence... it's no secret that the most exile burmese organisation are US finance. These group will no doubt find their place in Myanmars political systems.

I don't you feel, sometime is in play. When the protest started, the first thing US did was to call for sanctions. The people od Myanmar is already feeling the crunch of the fuel height.. a sanction will make their live more miserable. What is the intantion if not regime change ? That was alos the reason for the Junta to move their administration capital out of yangon to their more centralise location.

What?

The capital was moved and the country was renamed "Myanmar" to alter itself for the Colonial past of British rule. Aung San Suu Kyi father is the man who the British handed over power to after independence. He was assassinated after 6 months of rule.

(Burma was apart of British Raj)

All the political pressure came from the Colonial ruler (Britain), think Thatcher was the Prime Minister who started the pressure. And that's why the protest walked pass the British Embassy in Burma applauding the British for their support yesterday.

America is only supporting and strengthing Britain's hand as the former ruler (we have the largest influence, apart from India and China)

It's the same with Zimbabwe too.

This has nothing to do with American influence.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here is a very emotional video about Burma, gonna post it up. All should watch it.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Watching the new now of whats going on in myanmar, and my german blue blood is heating up, I think the combination number will be entered into howard hughes vault by the end of next week if this continues, the formula will be entered into the super weapon and china will be in grave danger, they got to clamp down fast now on myanmar, time is running out.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Internet Cutoff

www.foxnews.com...

WASHINGTON — The United States criticized Myanmar on Friday for cutting off Internet access and called on "all civilized nations" to pressure the military-run government to end its violent crackdown on protesters.

"They don't want the world to see what is going on there," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown talked about the situation via secure video teleconference on Friday. They agreed on the importance of a planned visit this weekend to Myanmar by U.N. special envoy Ibrahim Gambari and on "the need for countries around the world to continue to make their views clear to the junta," Stanzel said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like the junta is doing everything they can to keep info from getting out to the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Looks like the junta is doing everything they can to keep info from getting out to the world.

Yeah.

Prime Minister Brown is right thou, the World is watching this time.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

When I say "taking over" I meant influence... it's no secret that the most exile burmese organisation are US finance. These group will no doubt find their place in Myanmars political systems.

I don't you feel, sometime is in play. When the protest started, the first thing US did was to call for sanctions. The people od Myanmar is already feeling the crunch of the fuel height.. a sanction will make their live more miserable. What is the intantion if not regime change ? That was alos the reason for the Junta to move their administration capital out of yangon to their more centralise location.

What?

The capital was moved and the country was renamed "Myanmar" to alter itself for the Colonial past of British rule. Aung San Suu Kyi father is the man who the British handed over power to after independence. He was assassinated after 6 months of rule.

(Burma was apart of British Raj)

All the political pressure came from the Colonial ruler (Britain), think Thatcher was the Prime Minister who started the pressure. And that's why the protest walked pass the British Embassy in Burma applauding the British for their support yesterday.

America is only supporting and strengthing Britain's hand as the former ruler (we have the largest influence, apart from India and China)

It's the same with Zimbabwe too.

This has nothing to do with American influence.

Aung San Suu Kyi father was asssasinated two month before their independence in Jan 1948.. and the democratic dictator for life U Nu took the rein, and was overthrown in 1962 by the junta. and the renaming of Burma to Myamar was in 1989.

The Junta's new Administrative capital move was in 2005 from Yangon.

In fact, there are rumours that in 2003 during "cobra gold" that the US special forces engaged Chinese border paramilitary guards in the border of Yunan.. resulting in China replacing the PAP with PLA. The US paratroopers were said to be trying to set up a secret air strip in Northern Myanmar. This may have prompted the Junta to do the move.

America was doing their usual in 60's and 70's... drug trade to finance clandestine operations, in the golden triangle.. and death squads operation mainly by the Hmongs. In fact, the satellite totting Hmongs are still in operation in Myanmar/Thai border.. cliaming victims of ethnic cleansing.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   

In fact, there are rumours that in 2003 during "cobra gold" that the US special forces engaged Chinese border paramilitary guards in the border of Yunan.. resulting in China replacing the PAP with PLA. The US paratroopers were said to be trying to set up a secret air strip in Northern Myanmar. This may have prompted the Junta to do the move.

Hey Moby. Do you have any more details on this interesting tidbit ?
"paratroopers were said to be trying to set up a secret air strip in Northern Myanmar"

I saw the reason stated as strategic in the move of the capital, to better be able to defend themselves.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Key word there;

"rumour"

Cannot be proven to be true.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Sure..

There were a big Hooha during that time in Asia, but the Western media thinks it's not important enough to report it.

The Myanmar border were left largely to China to patrol freely, just like Tajikistan, that's why PAP were deployed. Traditional, the people of Myanmar and chinese simply cross the border freely at river crossing. For foriegners they need passport at the border checkpoint. There are information leaked from, from past entry, that the PAP were investigating information of US presence, and chanced upon the US SF. Fire fight took place.. and the SF and support haul Arse towards the Thai border.

www.atimes.com...

Infinite...

I used the word "rumours" because Washington denies it.. but the Chinese drastic action suggest that it's more than a rumour. China has changed border defense from Armed Police to PLA 13th Army. 2 full divisions are now deployed there.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Infinite...

I used the word "rumours" because Washington denies it.. but the Chinese drastic action suggest that it's more than a rumour. China has changed border defense from Armed Police to PLA 13th Army. 2 full divisions are now deployed there.

It's bull.

The force is there to stop and control the amount of refugees coming into China, the same is going on with the border with North Korea.

Plus, Burma and Thailand has a long history of not seeing "eye-to-eye", so there is a security issue too. Which the Chinese are entitled to protect.

Has nothing to do with the United States.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
India and China are basically propping up the junta, with Russia in tow giving diplomatic support.

I for one hold little hope that China will do anything meaningful. Cast your mind back to 1989 and the protests in Tiananmen Square. The Chinese government used methods identical to the Burmese junta to crush the protests there, killing between 200-800 (depending whether you trust the Chinese Government or the New York Times more) peaceful demonstrators. China also has a policy of oppressing Buddhist monks in Tibet, so they won't respond on religious grounds either.

Russia, too, is perhaps unsurprising in its unwillingness to do anything to destabilise the junta. When it was part of the Soviet Union, it used harsh methods to crush dissent. Remember Hungary in 1956? Prague in 1968? The violent crackdown on Polish demonstrators in 1980s Poland, with the USSR threatening to intervene? Russia also doesn't want to upset China too much, since they are suspicious of one another and China is a top market for Russian military goods and natural resources.

These nations have a history of using similar methods to those of the current junta in control of Burma. I don't think it shocks the governments of Russia and China as it does historically democratic nations, as they've dealt with similar situations in similar ways.

India is harder to fathom, primarily because it's the world's largest democracy... why, then, does it support a dictatorship next door? It's probably something to do with influence and defence against China. India is very suspicious of China (which is to be expected, given that they are two rising powers) and wants to retain some kind of control over a nation that borders both themselves and the PRC. If the Indians support the protesters and they fail, India will be locked out of influence in Burma for decades. In addition to this you've got Burma's natural resources and investment opportunities, which a rising power is reluctant to forsake.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Infinite...

It's bull.

The force is there to stop and control the amount of refugees coming into China, the same is going on with the border with North Korea.

Plus, Burma and Thailand has a long history of not seeing "eye-to-eye", so there is a security issue too. Which the Chinese are entitled to protect.

Has nothing to do with the United States.
Refugees ... in 2003 ?.. pls if you do not understand the situation in Myanmar.. stop making assumption. Whatever happens in Yangon.. it may not affect WA/Shan and Kachin state... the Southern refugees have to get across Wa and Kachin State first. And I assure you that will not be easy .. as every ethnic groups seems to hate each other. Both Shan/WA and Kachin (KIA) have very good relation with China (except maybe Karens).. especially the WA, who has almost half a million of WA are residing in Yunnan. All China needs to do is give material support.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by mobydog]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Refugees ... in 2003 ?.. pls if you do not understand the situation in Myanmar.. stop making assumption.

No,
unlike you, I understand the history of Burma.
I don't believe random theories that appear on the internet.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I read this article on some of the fears that potential protestors are dealing with in Burma/Myanmar, and was trying to find a good place to put it, I hope this is the place.

A brave struggle for democracy, which appears to be in the final stages due to the lack of action by the UN.

The reports of the military crackdown, killings, are heartbreaking to say the least, but as has happened all too much in recent history, it appears that oil/gas holds a higher value than human rights in the world's opinion.

Cowed, Myanmar border town longs to join protests

TAMU, Myanmar, Oct 1 (Reuters) - In a small town everyone knows your name. So when pro-democracy activists tried to organise a protest rally on Myanmar's border with India last week, they were hardly surprised that only 30 people came forward.

"As you could see here people are scared of the military and the intelligence officers," said a leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD) in Tamu, who refused to be identified.

Though I am not in a position to solve this issue,

I am ashamed that our world leaders who always speak of genocide and how horrible it is....

Allow genocide to continue...

Doing nothing more than issuing papers and statements so history shows they were against it in principle...

In principle, they have done nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join