It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Warns Hacking iPhone May Harm It

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Apple Warns Hacking iPhone May Harm It

www.physorg.com

(AP) -- IPhone owners who have unlocked their handsets so they could use carriers other than AT&T Inc. may end up with a phone that doesn't work after the company's next software update, Apple Inc. warned Monday.

Since the iPhone debuted in June, hackers have posted a number of methods online to make it possible to use the iPhone on cellular networks other than AT&T, which is the exclusive official carrier for the iPhone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The article continues to say that this isn't a move on the part of Apple to prevent unlocking. For some reason, I don't buy that load of horse manure.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well Apple made the phone and have the agreement, its up to them to protect their agreements.

The scum-of-the-earth hackers wreck and subvert so much technology...its unfair to people who want to make something.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Eh? The hackers are freeing consumers from uncompetitive business practices.

Ill never buy anything from apple because of their business practices.

Ill leave that up to their mindless fanboys.

This is just a scare tactic to stop people from using the phone on other service providers.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I agree, I read somwhere last week about the prices for the phones in the UK. Much higher than in the US with a long contract so you end up paying thousands for the phone.

I think there is nothing wrong with unlocking mobiles. I live in Thailand and here they unlock almost any phone for just a couple of pounds. You can then buy a Thai sim card and take advantage of the cheap calls back to your home country.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Octavius Maximus
Well Apple made the phone and have the agreement, its up to them to protect their agreements.

The scum-of-the-earth hackers wreck and subvert so much technology...its unfair to people who want to make something.

Technically once you buy the phone, it's your decision what you use it for, and what you do to it.

If you are leasing it from the phone company, then yes, you're not allowed to modify it. But if you've bought it, you can do whatever you like to it.

I think the only experience you must have had with hackers must have been with the "script kiddie" variety. Yes, they are a horrible nuisance.

Hackers merely explore what they can do with technology. Thats what they get their thrill from. Basically thinking "okay, this is what it's meant for, now what else can I do with it?"

Once a hacker has explored the possibilities of a piece of electronics, it's off to the next one. They have little interest in making anyones day worse... in fact, they'll usually lend a hand in getting you the answers you are looking for.

Script kiddies on the other hand take what hackers have figured out and think "how can I ruin someones day with this?".

THESE ARE NOT HACKERS. They are pathetic wannabes.

The guys modding the iPhone however ARE hackers.
They aren't grabbing your iPhone from you and forcing the mod upon you, all they are doing is telling you how to do it should you want to.

It's up to you whether you do or not.

You do realize that the very people keeping your anti-virus and firewall up to date are hackers themselves, right?

Hackers make the security programs, hackers test them, it's the script kiddies that go into unsecured systems. A hacker sees an unsecured system as a waste of time, and ultimately childsplay. Which is why you can rest assured that a hacker won't be intruding into your personal computer. Only pathetic script kiddies enter personal computers.

I personally leave my systems wide open, hoping to get attacked.
I especially love it when people try to use my network to piggyback off of.
I wish I could see the look on their face when everything they try to access from then on re-directs them to some of the most grotesque images I could find out there.
... sometimes I wait until they've given me their log on for their IM, mail, etc.

Hey, there are no free rides, especially not on my network.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
This is just a scare tactic to stop people from using the phone on other service providers.

I have to agree, as evidenced by the immediate response I got. People see the word "hacking" and they suddenly get all paranoid.

And johnsky, thanks for explaining the difference between hackers and dirty script kiddies.

Here is how hack is defined in computer science. Source: Wikipedia

Hack has several meanings in the technology and computer science fields: a clever or quick fix to a computer program problem; a clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem; or a modification of a program or device to give the user access to features that were otherwise unavailable to them.

This is what it means in regards to this news article.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Eh? The hackers are freeing consumers from uncompetitive business practices.

Yes, Hackers are Jesus' on earth.

Please, that buisness practice was in no way unfair. It was limited, granted. but it wasnt unfair.

Its also an effective tactic to stop people from using their phone on service providers it wasnt meant to be used on. Apple probably made a deal with AT&T and AT&T would want to protest if its getting the short end of the stick.

Technically once you buy the phone, it's your decision what you use it for, and what you do to it.

not as such. Your buying Internet time every time you use the internet off the phone, this means that Apple is free to choose what internet you purchase off them. If you dont like it you can get a new phone.

I think the only experience you must have had with hackers must have been with the "script kiddie" variety. Yes, they are a horrible nuisance.

No, i have very many good friends and family in the buisness who are both hackers and programmers, both sides of the warzones. Hackers have an untouchable mentality which bleeds into their day to day lives. Dodging the law by breaking a system.

Hackers merely explore what they can do with technology. Thats what they get their thrill from. Basically thinking "okay, this is what it's meant for, now what else can I do with it?"

Not as such. They get their thrills through breaking the rules. Its as simple as that. There is nothing saintly about it. They break the rules and piss people off because its fun and noone can stop them.

Once a hacker has explored the possibilities of a piece of electronics, it's off to the next one. They have little interest in making anyones day worse... in fact, they'll usually lend a hand in getting you the answers you are looking for.

Since when?

I think my account has been hacked since i came to ATS, now my Myspace has around 50 people asking to be my friend, all conspiracy nuts.

Im sure they dont mean any harm, they are just trying to piss me off.

Im considering getting one of my friends to put a virus through those myspaces, they dont deserve it if they abuse the privledge.

The guys modding the iPhone however ARE hackers.
They aren't grabbing your iPhone from you and forcing the mod upon you, all they are doing is telling you how to do it should you want to.

It's up to you whether you do or not.

Theres the thing, its not. Its up to apple to decide how their phones are to be used. People who want the phone need to abide to the rules that come with it. No ifs or buts.

I hope Apple is voiding the warrenties of each phone that is 'broken' like this.

You do realize that the very people keeping your anti-virus and firewall up to date are hackers themselves, right?

Only because stopping other hackers is more lucrative.

Look, you may see the shades of Grey, i dont. I dont care if they are breaking the machines to do something else, to be a nuisance or whatever. They are breaking the rules given to them when the Mobiles are purchased, so they dont deserve them.

By the way, im no apple fanboy, to be honest i hate Apple and anything produced by Apple, simply because its never as good as anything else in its category. But i do protest against this kind of nonsense.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yes, Hackers are Jesus' on earth.

Please, that buisness practice was in no way unfair. It was limited, granted. but it wasnt unfair.

I dont see why youre in a huff about it, these people are giving the consumers a choice, theres nothing wrong in that.

Its also an effective tactic to stop people from using their phone on service providers it wasnt meant to be used on. Apple probably made a deal with AT&T and AT&T would want to protest if its getting the short end of the stick.

Which is exactly what I wrote, a scare tactic to try and get people to stick with the service provider.

People would accept a car that only ran on one make of petrol, they wouldnt accept a sony dvd player only playing sony dvds or cds. They shouldnt be accepting a monopoly on phones being locked to one company.

I got my non apple phone unlocked and it works fine, Ive never heard of an unlocked phone not working

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Flyer]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I hope Apple is voiding the warrenties of each phone that is 'broken' like this.

Clearly you didn't read the article before shooting your mouth. The answer you seek is a click away.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

By the way, im no apple fanboy, to be honest i hate Apple and anything produced by Apple, simply because its never as good as anything else in its category. But i do protest against this kind of nonsense.

Lol, at least we agree on that much.

I'm a Linux fan myself.
To me Mac products are designed for people who have no understanding of how to use a computer.
Microsoft products are designed for the mainstream, if you don't mind being heavily restricted as to what you can and cannot do.
Linux is for those who have the patience and desire to do whatever they want to be able to do with their computer.

I still think you've got your definition of a hacker mixed up with a script kiddie.

But I know the type you are trying to refer to, and they are an annoyance.
But these guys hacking the iPhone aren't the same type of people.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I dont see why youre in a huff about it, these people are giving the consumers a choice, theres nothing wrong in that.

Yes there is, Apple is going to take the blame for it, arnt they?

Thats unfair for them.

Which is exactly what I wrote, a scare tactic to try and get people to stick with the service provider.

No, a scare tactic is something you say to stop someone, an actual tactic is something you do to make sure it cant be broken.

People would accept a car that only ran on one make of petrol, they wouldnt accept a sony dvd player only playing sony dvds or cds. They shouldnt be accepting a monopoly on phones being locked to one company.

So you mean Companies should be unable to have any say in the matter? thats rather unfair to them.

Clearly you didn't read the article before shooting your mouth. The answer you seek is a click away.

Clearly you dont realise that i dont care about most articles posted on this forum. Its just suckering bull# most of the time.

I care about what people think, not articles.

I still think you've got your definition of a hacker mixed up with a script kiddie.

No, i dont have them mixed up, i paint them both with the same brush.

But I know the type you are trying to refer to, and they are an annoyance.
But these guys hacking the iPhone aren't the same type of people.

They are abusing a piece of hardware for their own benefit and to the detriment of the big company that created it.

Apple will probably lose their deal with AT&T if they dont do something quick.

But who cares about Apple? Theyre a big company, they can handle it, right?

Well...the easiest way to recoup losses is to lay off workers.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

They are abusing a piece of hardware for their own benefit and to the detriment of the big company that created it.

Apple will probably lose their deal with AT&T if they dont do something quick.

But who cares about Apple? Theyre a big company, they can handle it, right?

Well...the easiest way to recoup losses is to lay off workers.

I actually think the quickest way to fix the solution is to sell an unlocked version of the iPhone for a slightly higher price. If the consumers really want to use a different cell provider, they can pay the price for it. This would certainly cut down on the number of units being hacked to unlock them.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
How is Apples and AT&T's business practices fair?

If GM or Ford tried to sell you a car, and said that you could only drive it on the approved GM toll roads or Ford Toll roads, would ANYONE just blindly say "It's theirs, and they can do what they want with it."? No, they wouldn't. They'd be screaming to anyone who would listen.

But because it's a cell phone, it's ok. Personally, I think that "locking" a cell phone ought to be VERY illegal, with very harsh penalties.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I actually think the quickest way to fix the solution is to sell an unlocked version of the iPhone for a slightly higher price. If the consumers really want to use a different cell provider, they can pay the price for it. This would certainly cut down on the number of units being hacked to unlock them.

How much do people charge to have it unlocked?

Also, the instructions are already on the internet, are they not?

If GM or Ford tried to sell you a car, and said that you could only drive it on the approved GM toll roads or Ford Toll roads, would ANYONE just blindly say "It's theirs, and they can do what they want with it."? No, they wouldn't. They'd be screaming to anyone who would listen.

GM and Ford are bad car companies.

They scream because people are too complacent and get whatever they want if they scream loud enough. Its all because parents arent allowed to 'physically educate' their children anymore.

Bah.

is it really that horrible to have AT&T as a browser?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

johnsky, you're on a roll! You're articulating what I'm thinking before I type it out.

I was quite interested in owning an iPhone myself but I'm opposed to these sort of lock-in manoeuvres. I prefer to have a choice in which service provider I wish my hard earned cash to go to. The fact that my choices are being limited to one puts me off.

It was a stupid move on Apples part, in my humble opinion. They would have gained a customer in me.

Free if you know how to follow the instructions and yes, they are probably out there if you look hard enough.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Then Johnsky's idea cant work, sorry.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I'm not entirely sure if Apple even permits the units to be unlocked at all.

Then again, you would have to have them unlocked if you wanted to travel overseas with it. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use any other providers with it.

I remember working with HP's iPaqs. The cellular companies would only allow our customers to unlock the locked versions if they said they were leaving the country. Otherwise the unlock codes would never be given out.

GM and Ford are bad car companies.

They scream because people are too complacent and get whatever they want if they scream loud enough. Its all because parents arent allowed to 'physically educate' their children anymore.

Bah.

is it really that horrible to have AT&T as a browser?

Aren't allowed to physically educate their children, lol, I laughed when I saw that one. I completely agree with you there.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I find there's very few people out there actually willing to weed through searches to find out how to do something, and then actually go about doing it.

I still think it would reduce the number of people spending the time to find the hack.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Yeah, it won't work now. It could have worked. And the whole issue wouldn't have come up if they had done that instead of locking it in to one provider.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

<<   2  3 >>

join