It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Warns Hacking iPhone May Harm It

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
So you think companies should have the right to tell you what to do with your own property.

Car companies should be able to stop you buying any make of tyre expect for dunlop.

Nike can only decide that you can use their basketball shoes for basketball?

Thats just as dumb as what you are defending, it seems you are the only one unable to grasp that simple fact.

I have to assume you are a troll because its hard for me to accept the fact that people can be that simple.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

So you think companies should have the right to tell you what to do with your own property.

Are you paying monthly installments or something of that nature?

Then you do not own it, do you?

Car companies should be able to stop you buying any make of tyre expect for dunlop.

If this is stipulated in the contract then yes, they should be able to.

Its freedom, noone said it was nice.

Thats just as dumb as what you are defending, it seems you are the only one unable to grasp that simple fact.

No, you seem to be unable to grasp that other opinions exist other than your own.

I have to assume you are a troll because its hard for me to accept the fact that people can be that simple.

I dont have to assume anything about you, youve already proved how self serving you are. pfff, why would i want to troll you? You of all people, lowest of the low?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Octavius Maximus

Are you paying monthly installments or something of that nature?

Then you do not own it, do you?

This is about the Apple iPhone, not the service plan with AT&T which it is locked in to by default. Therefore the company has as much right to tell you what to do with it as Nokia has on a phone which you modified. In both cases, the only right is to void the warranty.

In both cases you own the product already, but you won't get any special rates at their stores under the warranty, which are voided in both cases.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
UPDATE:

New update breaks hacked iPhones

Users are reporting that a new update to Apple's iPhone is making previously unlocked iPhones unusable.

The iPhone 1.1.1 update , released Thursday, breaks phones that have been hacked so that they work with providers other than AT&T, the only U.S. provider Apple has allowed to carry its mobile phones.

In recent months, a number of software tools have been developed which allow iPhone users to break free of Apple's AT&T-only restriction, but Apple has said that it would fight any attempts to unlock the iPhone. Earlier this week the company released a warning that unlocked iPhones "will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed."

Shortly after the Thursday update was released, users of unlocked iPhones began reporting problems.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now, skim past the AT&T lock in, that's just a red-herring on behalf of Apple's PR team, and get to the meat of the issue of why Apple would make unlocked phones unusable:

Unauthorized iPhone Apps Market Flourishes

There is a vibrant community of developers writing apps to install directly on the iPhone, contrary to Apple's wishes.

Software developer Dylan Schiemann used Steve Jobs' own words against him in a presentation on developing third-party software applications for Apple's iPhone.

"You can write amazing Web 2.0 and Ajax apps that look and behave exactly like apps on the iPhone," CEO Jobs said at an Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in June in San Francisco.

I've lost respect for Apple completely. She's behaving exactly like Microsoft is towards open source. ZDnet is predicting this fiasco will be a public relations nightmare for Apple, not least because unlocked phones have been bricked, but also because phones that were not unlocked by their owners are also having problems.

Good for Apple. You've shot yourself in the foot in your crusade against third party application developers.

Related News Links:

Apple iPhone warning proves true
Apple's Latest Firmware Update Breaks Hacked IPhones
iBricks will be a PR nightmare for Apple

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I am kind of surprised I have to explain what the world "buy" means to someone on ATS. Are you related to Bill Clinton by any chance?

Good, you jammy prick, Now why dont you just calm down, drink another beer and get on with your life.

whats that all about?
cause voxel has tooled your lame argument, by god?
:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If this is stipulated in the contract then yes, they should be able to.

Its freedom, noone said it was nice.

it's not about a contract dude...that is what you are not getting.

it is about doing what you want with YOUR PROPERTY...
this is all pretty simple stuff

you purchase phone via currency=phone is your property..you own it.....you even get a reciept.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Brilliant, they have made locked phones useless in their desperation to screw over unlocked phones.

As always, its the legitimate users who suffer with the DRM. I bet most of the unlocked owners didnt even bother "updating".

blogs.zdnet.com...

PSP

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
So someone hacks his iPhone simlock-free and then accedently installed the new update and then the brick there iPhone?
Apple destroys there own product?
Am i right?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PSP

That's what it looks like. But you can fix it even if Apple won't. Hacking the phone voids the warranty. Updating it bricks the phone.

Hackers have released a fix.

iPhone Brick Fix: Dr. Frankenstein Would Be Proud

PSP

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well thats quite good news for the Iphone hackers, i did this the same with my PSP as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Hackers have struck back, as predicted. The latest firmware update of the iPhone has been unlocked.

The Great iPhone Hack, round 3

Two weeks to the day after Apple's iPhone software update wiped third-party applications from the device and disabled unlocked phones, the hackers have struck back.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog posted details of the iPhone Dev Team's latest effort, which once again opens the iPhone up to third-party applications and the ability to use it on any other GSM network than AT&T's. This appears to be a more substantial effort than the one posted earlier in the evening that exploits a vulnerability in a TIFF image file; you can bet that one will be patched fairly quickly.

The latest hack allows iPhone users who have already installed the OS X 1.1.1 update to revert their iPhones to the previous 1.0.2 update, "jailbreak" it for third-party applications, and then somehow update back to the 1.1.1 version without the cell door slamming shut. TUAW and iPhone Atlas have tested the latest hack and have declared that it works, assuming you have a certain amount of knowledge of the iPhone's command line interface.

What can I say, where there's a will, there's a way. Meanwhile, Apple and AT&T have been served a class action law suit. I figured something bad would happen to Apple with this whole fiasco, didn't figure it was going to be a lawsuit.

iPhone Class Action Suits Hit Apple, AT&T

New class action lawsuits have been filed, alleging Apple and AT&T are engaging in unlawful business practices by "bricking" iPhones and tying the iPhone to AT&T's network.

It was bound to happen sooner or later—well, we take that back: it was bound to happen sooner than later. Irate consumers are filing class action lawsuits against both Apple and AT&T, alleging the companies are engaging in unlawful business practices and illegal monopolistic behavior, The complaints center on service restrictions on the Apple iPhone which bind it to the AT&T wireless network, and Apple's recent iPhone software update which locked out third party applications and "bricked"—rendered inoperable—some number of "hacked" iPhones.

[...]

The state case filed on behalf of Timothy Smith claims Apple is violating California's Cartwright Act by binding the iPhone to AT&T's network doesn't specify a monetary damage claim, but does seek an injunction which would prevent Apple from selling software-locked iPhones, and would force the company to honor warranties on unlocked iPhones.

Can't say I'm surprised. Certain quarters of the blogosphere did predict a suit was on the way. Interesting news, though. Especially the last bit.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
UPDATE:

It seems that Apple has dropped it's stance against third party applications on the iPhone.

Apple OKs 3rd-Party iPhone Applications

(AP) -- Apple Inc. will allow third-party applications on the iPhone, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said in a posting on its Web site Wednesday.

In a decision that marks a clear turnaround from Apple's previous desire to control the applications consumers have on their iPhones, Jobs said the company intends to release a software development kit in February that will let people outside the company to create iPhone and iPod touch applications.

"We are excited about creating a vibrant third-party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users," Jobs said in the posting.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join