It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MR1159

You mean the Scarecrow who wanted a brain? Thanks. It's just an opinion, but a workable one.

Since I don't spell well, I spell-check everything...and still end up with errors. So much for trying to sound intelligent, eh?

Some slave over their meaningless/meaningful posts: too bad for the heartless, narrow-minded, that must have dinner carried to them on a silver platter of perfection. Dang, my yolk broke..."don't want none!"

Believe me, it's more than a typo; it's the way it is. I'll leave you to growl about it, possibly forever: it isn't gonna change: never has, never will, since the inception of the www. Isn't that strange...."I want it changed, right now!" More brains?

[edit on 8-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It appears that even good spelling won't help some people make sense. If you get the urge, maybe you could dumb it down a little and explain what you are getting at.

...broken eggs...silver platters...

Man, whatever you are on; it's kickin' in!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR1159
It appears that even good spelling won't help some people make sense. If you get the urge, maybe you could dumb it down a little and explain what you are getting at.

...broken eggs...silver platters...

Man, whatever you are on; it's kickin' in!

I got it, what Naga is talking about. And I'm not on anything!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MR1159

I think it's called 'oxygen.'

Meaning, we can't have perfection. Some people get upset when they can't have it perfect (their way)...you've never seen someone upset over a broken yolk? (Age? Try be a fry-cook, and find out.)

It's called, 'allegorical* referencing.' (and yes, I spell-checked that!)

(*Allegory: 1: the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence ; also : an instance (as in a story or painting) of such expression.

Sorry for the symbolical wryness.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
We're not asking for perfection we just want to be able to understand what people say.

Today a poster used the word "pips" in a jumbles paragraph of lowercase letters.

It took me about 5 readings. They meant "pipes." I had no idea what it was before.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Haha, that's so funny. We all suffer those moments, yes?

I once enjoyed a poster who was poor with English (2nd language, kinda) to the max: people complained about it, because he was intelligent and gifted. However, he couldn't be bothered to spellcheck, or check syntax, etc.. And he made long posts. I did him the justice of reading 90% of everything (that I could understand). Many put him on 'ignore.' It is an option!

But that's my whole meaning: as imperfect creatures, the 'somewhat' more perfect may be demanding too much, or not? I try really hard, but it's a bit of an extra effort when it doesn't come easy.

Oh well. I've got no complaints, and appreciate everyone who forgives some of my occasional meaningless sentences!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This to-ing and fro-ing with regard to your attempts at clever and devilishly witty comment (you call it allegory; I call it waffling on) is exactly what I'm on about.

Concise: \kən-ˈsīs\: adjective
marked by brevity of expression or statement : free from all elaboration and superfluous detail

In summary:
We both agree that it's good to make an effort in what we say and write. Sometimes language barriers and time get in the way; that's life. I don't think that you are in such disagreement after all (once the "allegory" is cut through).

QED

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MR1159

Thanks. So, we seem to have set a basis of understanding here, which I feel sets a middle tone for the issue discussed.

For improvement doesn't seem to be voluntarily coming, but more the continuation of the opposite, perhaps. There was a commentary on CNN about a poll taken whether people have become ruder or not, lately. Results were that people thought others were indeed becoming ruder. Maybe so. But they sure don't seem to care to take considerable extra time to look up words and meanings, like they perhaps would be inclined to in a less hectic scoial scene. (heheh)

[edit on 9-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Just a friendly tip for everyone in the event this hasn't been mentioned yet. Firefox has a built in spell checker. When you misspell a word, a red squiggly line will appear beneath. Then right click to see spelling suggestions.

----------

Youll know i'm using internt expllorer to browse ATS win i tipe like this becauze my spellling is terribul otherwise. So it hepls alot.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
One that amazes me:
"alot"

e.g. "...I see this happening alot."

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I hear that..

firefox is great for that... er... not that i have to use it...er

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MR1159

Yep... "alot" And "definately" (instead of definitely)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Let's all agree to replace 'alot' with "often"....and 'definitely', or even 'definately', with "certainly"....OK????

NOW, we'll all be able to get along, and communicate together?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

If you like

As i said before, I'm actually not bothered... but it's nice someone made a lttle rant thread... It's nice to have a laugh sometimes

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

If you like

As i said before, I'm actually not bothered... but it's nice someone made a lttle rant thread... It's nice to have a laugh sometimes

Well, said!

It's not worth getting pent up about...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

definately

I'll make sure to use those alot and I definitely agree to replace 'alot' with "often" !

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hey all,
it's been well over a year ago since I first made this thread and it's now been moved to the 'rant' section on BTS. I notice people are discussing the use of spellcheckers, just remember though, that a spellchecker isn't going to locate the errors I mentioned in my opening post - such as, the misuse of:

-your (your wrong)
-could of (instead of could've)
-there (there country was invaded)

...on paper, they still appear as valid words that the spellchecker would just pretend everything's a-ok. My OP wasn't directed at foreigners, or people that make typos - we are human and we all are guilty of spelling errors somewhere along the line. It just continues to dismay me that people still don't seem to employ the basic English skills we learn when we first go to school, such as the usage of there / their / they're... or your vs you're.

That's the crux of my argument in a nutshell anyway...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RiotComing

That's okay, I've seen people discussing a "Hobbesian" choice...(the three you pick on top my list of hates...

The second one comes down to learning your English aurally instead of visually and then transposing your error.

As a former English teacher these things push my buttons...

I try not to let it ruin my ENTIRE day...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Some more...

more "then"

other "then"

the word is THAN... not then.

cheers

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing

-your (your wrong)
-could of (instead of could've)
-there (there country was invaded)

That's the crux of my argument in a nutshell anyway...

Also, agree with these...

Good one.

there, they're, their not going to like it

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join