It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
My spelling and grammar is awful
But hey I have a pretty smile to make up for it

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFwife
My spelling and grammar is awful
But hey I have a pretty smile to make up for it

You are forgiven!
(Pretty smiles always do the trick)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR1159

In summary; if we all take care with what we are saying in the first instance, there will be less chance for misinterpretation and reiteration.

Exactly. If you DO have something important to say, then take the time to make it so people can understand you and also that you appear educated.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Once it was brought up to me in the midst of a poker game. we speak American english not the Queens english. I recall an Aussie bringing that to my atytention on a long flight .

mikell

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is so funny.
Spelling is bad everywhere.
It's almost like we forgot how.
That damn spell check.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The other great thing about English (and any other widely-spoken language), is that it is a "universal standard" of communication. This means that you can be confident of being understood, regardless of where you are in the world.

The danger of resorting to colloquialisms in day to day language is that when you are removed from your "clique" of language speakers and set among the wider spectrum of English speakers, you will not be easily understood.

If you think about it; if we were to continue along this road of devolving the English language into regional variations (for example "internet speak"), we lose the universality of the language. We will eventually end up with subsets of new languages that require translation whenever taken out of context.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

Actaully Zggiy, tihs was easeir for me to raed then corrcet sepllnig.

Waht dose taht maen?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR1159
The other great thing about English (and any other widely-spoken language), is that it is a "universal standard" of communication. This means that you can be confident of being understood, regardless of where you are in the world.

The danger of resorting to colloquialisms in day to day language is that when you are removed from your "clique" of language speakers and set among the wider spectrum of English speakers, you will not be easily understood.

If you think about it; if we were to continue along this road of devolving the English language into regional variations (for example "internet speak"), we lose the universality of the language. We will eventually end up with subsets of new languages that require translation whenever taken out of context.

Just a thought.

*imaginary star*
Very good point

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You people are so witty! I love it. I'm a horrible speller, too. No matter how hard I try, I always misspell.

I notice the OP was an avid spell-checker. Ever heard of the grade curve? Let's have a little tolerance with each other's spelling: it is a rare day when I find a large post without spelling or grammar errors. And I've been on a lotta sites!

Any intelligent person will get over this fault, usually, especially with forgeign language members using english; so why don't we? This isn't english class, it's fast-talk and fast-ideation. Have mercy. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SS,Naga
You people are so witty! I love it. I'm a horrible speller, too. No matter how hard I try, I always misspell.

I notice the OP was an avid spell-checker. Ever heard of the grade curve? Let's have a little tolerance with each other's spelling: it is a rare day when I find a large post without spelling or grammar errors. And I've been on a lotta sites!

Any intelligent person will get over this fault, usually, especially with forgeign language members using english; so why don't we? This isn't english class, it's fast-talk and fast-ideation. Have mercy. Thanks.

Ahhh Naga but your post is fine. A spelling error or two is okay. It is the posts that don't even try, where there are tons of double or missing letters, no capitalization or punctuation, no effort at all... those are the ones that are a problem.

I could understand yours just fine

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
M R DUKS, OS AR C M WANGS,

Spelling doesn't matter, its the message that counts, and some members don't have the time they would like to have in order to go back and proof read all their posts.

For the one's struggling with the above sentence it reads, Them are ducks, oh yes they are see them wings. This was the topic of a block of instruction I received in communication, and used to point out how some undereducated people attempt to convey messages.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Spelling and grammar are essential to writing. If I were here, trying to make a point, or share knowledge that I had, or expose some secret or great truth, wouldn't it make sense to use every tool at hand in order to express myself effectively?

I'm not saying that the occasional mistyped word or 'brain fart' of using 'there' for 'their' is some great sin, because it's not, but to discount spelling and grammar entirely is wrong, at the very least for the reasons stated above.

Show a little respect for the topic and for the other people on the board and make an effort. It will garner respect in return and will help us all have better debates and conversations.

I think that a broad disregard of spelling and grammar says to me, "I don't care enough to take the time to communicate correctly" and I cannot help but feel, right and or wrong, that someone who cannot write correctly probably isn't the smartest crayon in the box. So lazy and stupid. Is that how you want to come across?

I also want to put a disclaimer here for non-native english speakers. By no means am I applying the same standards to them. It would be hypocritical when I can barely manage a little spanish, let alone russian.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
M R DUKS, OS AR C M WANGS,

Spelling doesn't matter, its the message that counts, and some members don't have the time they would like to have in order to go back and proof read all their posts.

It is important to get the message across so that others can understand it. I cannot understand your example and I'm glad you explained it to me.

It doesn't take more time to proofread if you put a tad more effort into it while you type out the words the first time.

I suppose you are right, but often I misread a post and answer it a certain way based on my translation, but then I am wrong and people get angry at me.

I know I'm not the only person this happens to, I see it all the time on these boards.

I just need to be able to understand the message, you're right. It needs to be expressed so that it is legible to the general community.

And again, automatic spellcheckers can make things a lot easier for the uneducated.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette

I think that a broad disregard of spelling and grammar says to me, "I don't care enough to take the time to communicate correctly" and I cannot help but feel, right and or wrong, that someone who cannot write correctly probably isn't the smartest crayon in the box. So lazy and stupid. Is that how you want to come across?

I also want to put a disclaimer here for non-native english speakers. By no means am I applying the same standards to them. It would be hypocritical when I can barely manage a little spanish, let alone russian.

I agree completely. And often if somebody is a repeat offender, I do check their location before frowning upon the post.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

Waht dose taht maen?

taht maens you (can't spell wrong) are (another) lokoing for (another) mitskae wihle you raed

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It is not only on ATS, but worldwide.
I even notice myself relying on spell check more often than not. And I used to be a nearly perfect "spellist" and "grammerist".
I was thinking of starting a thread about this, as I have noticed it worldwide on the numerous boards I have become a member of.
If it were just myself, I might put it down to aging, but I have noticed it in others without the malady.

Are we being systematically "dumbed down", or is it a sign of the texting faction who don't really care------speed is the target.
I can emphatically state that since I refuse to text on my phone, the texting explanation does not apply to me personally.
Is it in the water?
Is it in the chemtrails?
Is it broadcast over my monitor or TV?
I do not, nor have taken any vaccinations in the last 30 years, so I doubt it is in those.

Further comments?

9 times the spellchecker corrected me in this post.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SANTA CLAWS

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

Waht dose taht maen?

taht maens you (can't spell wrong) are (another) lokoing for (another) mitskae wihle you raed

LOL LOL LOL

Seriously precious (did I spell precious right?)

LOL LOL LOL

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
On these fast-idea forums, a concept is seemingly more important than spelling. I bet the percentage of perfect spellers on the www is rather low...

Need carefully thought out, backed-up concepts with gooder spelling? Book.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

Sounds a bit "straw man argument-ish" to me.

Nobody is asserting everybody should be "perfect spellers". And let's not misconstrue "typo's" to be a spelling issue. I don't think anybody is suggesting we send each post to a sub-editor for sign off before we post it.

We all need to be fast in this environment, but that doesn't mean we have to be lazy in how we communicate ideas and concepts.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Originally posted by SANTA CLAWS

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

Waht dose taht maen?

LOL LOL LOL

Seriously precious (did I spell precious right?)

LOL LOL LOL

Puurrrrrrrrffffffeccctttt

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join