It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Member Judged Debates and First-Timers-Only Tournament

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Its 100% my fault guys, and I'm extremely sorry. When I started this tournament, I had no idea just how busy I would get this semester.
It's gotten to the point where I wake up at 5am, leave home at 7, and don't get back in until 9... and I'm still not accomplishing everything that I am supposed to be doing.

The reason Xtrozero has not posted yet is because he sent me a question that he REALLY needed an answer to on the 29th, and I didn't log on until today.

In order to bring things back to life, I am going to ask our reigning champion, and my trusted friend, Semperfortis (who has been showing keen interest in the debates and pretty well knows whats going on) as well as the H2H moderator, and another good friend of mine, Chissler, to be my backup. Once I've found out if they can do that, I'll let you guys know, then you will be able to address questions or anything else to any of three people.

Also, in order to reduce the boredom factor, after this round is over I would like to give the opponents for the next round the opportunity to choose their own topics, on the condition that agreements can be reached between opponents.

Again, I'm sorry, and I'm very thankful for the patience that you guys have shown by hanging in there with this tournament.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Also, in order to reduce the boredom factor, after this round is over I would like to give the opponents for the next round the opportunity to choose their own topics, on the condition that agreements can be reached between opponents.

Well, I actually liked the idea of each side arguing points they dont normally argue or dont even privately agree with. It trains the ability to step into the shoes of other worldviews and the ability to research and think.

Even so, if its been decided that we get to choose, I would like to choose to argue for one of the following topics and I hereby ask if any remaining opponents would like to argue the other side:

Modern Egyptology is a complete fraud

The ancient astronaut theory is true

There is an afterlife

Meditation practice should be mandatory in school

Capitalism is good

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm pleased to hear that we will have a choice of topic. I found it interesting to research entirely new topics for the first two rounds, but none of us has unlimited time so I'd rather be looking into topics that are of interest.

I'd be happy to debate either side of any UFO/alien related topic.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The ancient astronaut theory is true

I'm game for this one, but I'm just about to circulate a rather long skeptical article which overlaps with this issue so it could look a bit odd if I were to argue in favour of this proposition...

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

I'm game for this one, but I'm just about to circulate a rather long skeptical article which overlaps with this issue so it could look a bit odd if I were to argue in favour of this proposition...

Isaac

That was actually a list of positions I would argue the PRO side on.

So, if you are not bored by it because of your Dogon article, I would happily argue pro ancient astronauts against you. Its up to you.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Ill happily argue anything, as I feel I'm equally bad on ALL subjects

Seriously though,
a ban on guns
obesity
marijuana, its effects and legality
mental health issues

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well Budski,

I`ll do you the favour of relieving you of having to debate Isaac Koi, who is such a tough debater that his first two opponents concededed before half of their round were up.

I hereby propose Round 3 Skyfloating vs. Isaac Koi. Topic: The ancient astronaut theory is true. I will be arguing the Pro position, Isaac Koi the con position.

Now all I need is Isaacs confirmation.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I hereby propose Round 3 Skyfloating vs. Isaac Koi. Topic: The ancient astronaut theory is true. I will be arguing the Pro position, Isaac Koi the con position.

That's fine with me.

Now all I need is Isaac's confirmation.

Confirmed.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
is the debate is still open?
i will debate anything but faith, i have told my self i wont get into this faith topics and so on

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

This debate is in its second round and going into the third. See Forum "Member Debates". Will have to wait for the next Tournament.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I refuse to debate!

It's my way or the highway, bud.

What I say goes!

J/K

Good luck to all who participate, if this thing ever gets off the ground.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I'm very thankful for the patience that you guys have shown by hanging in there with this tournament.

Hi,

Just a thought:

The first two rounds (which have not yet finished, a month after the start of the tournament) have involved one opening statement each, followed by 3 alternating replies each, followed by one closing statement each.

Should the remaining rounds have, say, just 2 alternating replies each instead of 3 or some other variation?

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Hmmm, that's a bit crafty there - but I'll go along if all are in agreement.

Good luck you two, sounds like a fascinating topic.

Hey mech, welcome back - got a new pooter?

still got my avatars and desktop you did for me

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I like Isaac's idea of trimming the debates slightly, but to change rules in mid tourney will require unanimous consent of remaining participants.

Can everyone agree to 1 opening, 2 main body posts, and 1 closing- with the character limits extended to the full 10000 characters that the text-box will allow you?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Count me in please.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I like Isaac's idea of trimming the debates slightly, but to change rules in mid tourney will require unanimous consent of remaining participants.

Can everyone agree to 1 opening, 2 main body posts, and 1 closing- with the character limits extended to the full 10000 characters that the text-box will allow you?

Disagreed. I understand Isaacs point as his last two debates were given up by his opponents. But in the other debates one can see that those amount of posts were necessary to establish and deepen a point. Id rather not have the rules changed in the middle of the tournament.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Disagreed

Fine. Just a thought.

I'd like to participate in at least one completed debate...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

Fine. Just a thought.

I'd like to participate in at least one completed debate...

That will be provided.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well...if the Vagabond decides that its going to be 2 rounds between opening and closing, I will respect that decision. But I prefer the longer version...because debating is a lot of FUN, and also because I wouldnt have won my rounds had they been shorter.

But more important than how many rounds there are is that the Tournament continues already.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How about it stays the same, but just the character limit is extended to the full 10k? I would go for that...

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by souls
How about it stays the same, but just the character limit is extended to the full 10k? I would go for that...

No matter what, Id say we get on with it.

Me and IsaacKoi have chosen our topic for the next round,

how about you choose the topic you go into against Budski or Xtrozero.

Then, when Vagabond gets back we will be all set with our topics.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join