It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Argue. Is england in Europe or not?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
as you may know some schools teach that Europe is not a continent but Eurasia since nothing is seperating the two

I did not know that. I learned that Europe and Asia were 2 continents. But that was some time ago.

Bah, isn't that more of a political argument than a geographical one?

There is no argument, political or otherwise. The state of Hawaii is part of the US (although not physically connected or even very close) and the US is on the continent of N. America...

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:

A continent is one of several large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents – they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

However, about the UK...

The expression "the Continent" may also refer to Continental Europe, that is, the mainland of Europe, excluding the British Isles,[2] Iceland and some other islands.

There's a map at the source. If the British Isles aren't a part of Europe, what continent are they on? But I guess it's just an expression. Kind of like we in the US refer to the "Continental US", which excludes Hawaii, because of its physical separation.

Geography lesson learned.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I suppose the bottom line is that it depends on whether you're talking in terms of geography or culture.

Geographically, it's probably the norm that adjacent islands are regarded as part of a continent.
Japan belongs to Asia, Tasmania belongs to Australia, Britain belongs to Euope.

But if you treat "Europe" as the name of a culture, then the situation becomes more ambiguous.
From the cultural point of view, there used to be the debate about whether Russia was a European or an Asian country.
In the case of Britain; when I was younger, the debate about entering the Common Market was always described into terms of "going into Europe".
"Europe" was part of "abroad".

edit on 8-1-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
England is NOT european but separated by the english channel. The european monicker is a political fiction.

Most UK citizens do not class themselves as european, but by what country in the uk they come from i.e. english, scottish, welsh, not fricken european!

We have more in common with america, canada, australia and new zealand than with any frenchie or german.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm not at all nationalistic.... couldn't give a rats

I live in the continent of Europe.... therefore I am European.

But that's like an American saying "I'm North American" Doesn't happen.... they're just American.

I'm English... lived here all my life and was born here, so I class myself as English.

But.

I'm a human and see the entire world as my home and all the people as my neighbours.

Sick bags are available at the front and rear exits

edit on 8/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
England is NOT european but separated by the english channel.

As I have said, Hawaii is separated from the US by the freaking Pacific Ocean, but it's still part of the continent of North America.

The european monicker is a political fiction.

Then fill in the blank: The UK is on the continent of ____________ .

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Yay! The voice of Britain!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join