It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How powerful can our minds become?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Theres been a myth going around for a while, that humans so far can only use up to 10% of the brain capacity or processing power...
This is indeed a myth, as a very helpful government-endorsed site will tell you.
The truth, however, is that the capacity is larger, and perhaps even the processing power. Prominent psychologists such as Miller and Robertson & Robertson have generally agreed that the mind has a seemingly infinite capacity, as does its potential. This is what science has to say about the mind.
I wanted to see what others thought about the whole ' Unleash your brain power stuff'.. Chow

Disinfo site? :

disinfo site?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It is an intersting thought, I have never thought about it before but our brains could possibly have an infinite capacity, I mean on a day to day level we see hundreds of things see hundreds of faces, we have the power to remember everything that ever happens or is said to us. It is impossible to fill the hard drive in your mind!

So... how could this be used to ones advantage hmmm...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Great post. I have always believed that there are many many functions and possibilities of the human mind that we just do not understand or know how to tap into. I also believe that we have many more senses than the basic five that we know of.

ESP, telepathy, astounding capacity for memory and storage, there is so very little known about the powers of the mind that we really have not even scratched the surface. You can see evidence of higher ability in autistic people. Idiot savants who can do instant mathematical calculations and solve incredibly intricate calculus equations and word problems without the use of any tools except their mind. People who can record and pull up at will names, dates and specific numbers from years and years ago instantly, simply by recalling them inside of their own minds.

I also believe that we all have the ability to read minds, communicate with animals telepathically, travel alternate planes and dimensions and possibly even access the future and past via our minds. Just my own personal theory mind you, but some day when the full potential of the human brain is realized and unleashed the world will be in complete awe of our hidden abilities and functions. I for one cant wait!!

[edit on 9/21/07 by BlackOps719]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Idiot savants who can do instant mathematical calculations and solve incredibly intricate calculus equations and word problems without the use of any tools except their mind. People who can record and pull up at will names, dates and specific numbers from years and years ago instantly, simply by recalling them inside of their own minds.

The rainman iss an exceptional example of that

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Some people have the theory that materialism and the pursuit of technology places a veil across our ees as to what power lies within our very minds.
I certainly think there are abilities we have that have not been recognised yet, but im not sure about the talking to animals thing.. heh

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Idiot savants who can do instant mathematical calculations and solve incredibly intricate calculus equations and word problems without the use of any tools except their mind. People who can record and pull up at will names, dates and specific numbers from years and years ago instantly, simply by recalling them inside of their own minds.

The rainman iss an exceptional example of that

Right. Now imagine if you, as a functional free thinking individual, could harness that type of brain power. The rainman is obvious proof that it is in fact possible for human beings to evolve this way, but as of yet we do not understand why an autistic person has this type of ability while the rest of the populous does not. IMO the potential of the human mind is almost infinite.

Imagine if one day we are able to heal our own bodies via power of the mind
The concept is not as far out there as some may think.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Autism, however, does tend to reduce the person's social skill and attachments to thers can be difficult, but it is certainly a field that is not understood.. All some people have done to obtain autism-esque abilities is bosh their head on the sink... brb, off to the bathroom.. lol

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FullMechaPilot!

You may find this difficult to believe, but there have been many instances of people communicating with their pets using telepathy, I have even experienced this personally as many others have.

There was a radio talk show here last week that featured this very topic, and the host said he had more calls on this topic than any in the previous year. One lady told a story of how her labrador came to her one evening while she sat at the kitchen table, and proceeded to communicate a message to her ..the message was "Take care of Sassy"..which was her other lab...the puppy of this older dog and from what was said the dogs had a very tight bond.

The next day the mother dog died unexpectedly, having no physical ailments that the owners were aware of. After a study was done by the vet hospital it was found that the dog had been suffering from canine cancer but had never been diagnosed. The lady relaying the story was so moved and obviously upset by what had happenned that she broke down on the air and proceeded to sob uncontrollably.

Take it for face value or however you wish, but I truly believe that human and animal communication is not as far fetched as it sounds.

Just my $.02

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Lets imagine you were a person who has access to the other percentage of your brain.

As you are saying we would be able to heal ourselves and others, create things, use telepathy and have a greater understanding of life and its purpose.

So in all respects you would be seen as a prophet or a God.

There have been figures throughout the ages who have access to that portion of their brain, Jesus being one example. I am not religious but I accept that there have been many great men and woman who have had a undeniably profound impact on our world and who appeared to be Godlike.

My theory is that they are the oldest spirits, having been reincarnated millions of life-times and are more aware of their physical being and how to access that part of the brain that remains a mystery to us.

We can each tap into it, but it may take more and more life-times for us to reach the ultimate potential.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well said Ellipsis

There are other people who exhibit great mind powers like the Rainman. I remember seeing a special on TLC or some other channel about those kind of people, and there was a British guy who stated PI to 1000 places or something of that nature, and he could beat someone using a calculator on complicated Math problems And he was perfectly normal, no social side effects or anything. Anyone remember that guy?

[edit on 25-9-2007 by 3rdeye]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Imagine if one day we are able to heal our own bodies via power of the mind The concept is not as far out there as some may think.

In hypnosis this is already done, and with stunning results. hypnosis allows a person to acces their sub-conscience. Although there are other way's than hypnosis, it's believed that the most powerful part of our mind is the sub or unconscience.

Chech these two vid's out:

video.google.nl...

video.google.nl...

- Chris

top topics

join