It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrants Chase False Hope to Canada

page: 1is
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Illegal Immigrants Chase False Hope to Canada

www.nytimes.com

Fleeing stepped-up sweeps by the American authorities, illegal immigrants to the United States, mostly Mexican, are arriving in growing numbers at the foot of the bridge in this Canadian border town seeking refugee status.

Still more immigrants, mostly Mexicans living illegally in Florida, have begun trying to make their way past America’s northern border at other locations, the majority of them flying into the airport in Toronto, Canadian officials said Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It would appear recent ICE activies might be working yet it is sad to see that some in Naples are the ones scamming them into thinking they can get into Canada easier which is not true.

One can almost read right through some of the lies made by the individuals who took the money by claiming it was donations yet their lawyer (now fired) said they were fees.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/21/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm sure the Canadians will welcome them with open arms.

If they don't I'll be surprised.

Roper

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
I'm sure the Canadians will welcome them with open arms.

If they don't I'll be surprised.

Roper

I'm waiting to see what happens when entire floors of Canadian E.Rs are shut down because they can't afford all of the free care they're giving out anymore...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i dont think the folks from canada will put up with it for too long,from what i have seen,they (mexicans) would stick out like a sore thumb. i'm not sure how the housing and welfare programs are up there,but you can bet they would be able to regulate the flow by demanding proper information in order to get a place to stay,work and any assistance they might need.

seeing hundreds of them on corners waiting for work is a sight im sure they wont stand for up there... unlike here.. in most major cities in the U.S. you can find hundreds just standng around....

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Isnt Canada currently revamping their universal healthcare system and giving all of their welfare programs a good long second look due to increased complaints and projected insurmountable debt just like France and Germany and the UK?

I'm sure an healthy rise in the number of illegal immigrants making there way in wont be welcomed with such open arms.

Unless they want to set themselves up for economic collapse just as we in the U.S. have done and we did it all without universal healthcare.

In the long run I think this will just be another push toward a North American union.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My Opinion

Health-care is not free in Canada!!! You pay for it in taxes.

Canada is always looking at it's programs with every new Government.

Canada already has a bunch of immigrants coming in from all over not just

Mexico.

To get on any programs offered by the Government you must be a Canadian

Citizen otherwise they give you a bill.

The E.R's would never shut down because they would turn away anybody

who could not pay or produce either Government or private health insurance

or a mix of both.

People truly dont know the weather in Canada, some places stay warm

but the rain and snow blows sideways, and some places get so cold that

spitting out the window your saliva will instantly freeze.

anyway thems the breaks and thats my opinion

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You don't have to be a Canadian Citizen to get the OHIP ( the healthcare program).Landed Immigrants ( people comming with legal papers) get enrolled after 3 months waiting time.
The new healthcards have magnetic strip and photo on them (the old ones didn't).Each time you go to the doctor,they have to swipe it.Hence,no healthcard,no doctor.
There are problems with the system (like any big system),and abuse happens.But i will be curios to see how an illegal can get medical attention unless he/she has a fake healthcard.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hi all,

Seems to me. Until there's a a majority Federal Cdn Gov, Interim folks like PM Harper will, and should, bounce around the minority Elected Parties trying to find successful compromise.

So, Mexicans managing to enter Canada seeking anything other than the right bank to deposit their millions will probably be scheduled a return flight from where they came. I would think Canada's 'open-arms' close tight under a minority Federal Gov wanting to satisfy the voting masses.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

I thought that the reason the are migrating now to Canada is because the rumors of the coming North American Union.

But you got a valid point it could be that they are after the free health care.

Beware Canadians they like to have many babies so they can stay in your country, with Mexican Canadian babies they can get all the free health care they want.

Sad but true.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Herman

I thought that the reason the are migrating now to Canada is because the rumors of the coming North American Union.

But you got a valid point it could be that they are after the free health care.

Beware Canadians they like to have many babies so they can stay in your country, with Mexican Canadian babies they can get all the free health care they want.

Sad but true.

Not a prob Marg. We have English Canadian babies, French Canadian babies, Asian Canadian babies, Jamacian Canadian babies, Eastern Asian(India, Pakistan, etc) Canadian babies, I could go on. Things will go on as they have. The thing is that immigration is what made the States what it is today. maybe it's now our turn to grow in this manner.

apc

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Why can't these people just come to the simple, obvious conclusion?

How about, instead of finding someone else to leech off of, they just...

GO HOME?!

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
To borrow a phrase from someone (I can't remember who), Canada is woefully understaffed. People just aren't having as many babies as they used to. We bring up loads of Mexicans every year and give them healthcare and jobs - the only problem is, they keep leaving once fall comes. We can't get them to stay because of the weather.
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but where I am, there is tons of work in things like construction (so much so that it is actually holding our economy back) and manufacturing, so if they want to come up, go through our system and become Canadians, good for them and us. Send the Mexicans to BC, please.

As for our so-called 'free healthcare', most Canadians still hold the belief that taking care of your fellow man in a time of need is the right thing to do. We're fans of the concept of noblesse oblige and it shows in our social programs.

I do feel kind of bad for these people in the article, because it sounds like they were misled and taken advantage of and it's likely they may not be granted asylum. Lucky for them if they are productive and make good ties with their communities, when the govt tries to deport them there will be public outcry at the big mean minority govt for letting criminals have asylum while kicking out hard-working families and the decision will be overturned. It happens all the time.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yes intrepid but you are aware of the problem we in US have with the immigration, how long it will take for Canada to start noticing that they are getting a growing problem.

How about when the cheap labor takes over.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
To borrow a phrase from someone (I can't remember who), Canada is woefully understaffed. People just aren't having as many babies as they used to. We bring up loads of Mexicans every year and give them healthcare and jobs - the only problem is, they keep leaving once fall comes. We can't get them to stay because of the weather.
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but where I am, there is tons of work in things like construction (so much so that it is actually holding our economy back) and manufacturing, so if they want to come up, go through our system and become Canadians, good for them and us. Send the Mexicans to BC, please.

That's not a good thing Duzey. I've lived damn near everywhere in the country and the BC coast is BY FAR the warmest in the country. The East coast isn't too friendly to those that prefer warmer climes. The interior? Have you been to Winnipeg in February?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid - I don't go to Winnipeg at any time of the year. If you aren't freezing to death, you're being eaten alive by bugs the size of small dogs.

Here's a quick blurb about the need for labourers in my area:

On the positive side, there may be more openings than those projected for these workers, especially for construction trades helpers and labourers. This will be mainly due to the many construction projects related to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. Many sport facilities will be built and existing facilities will be expanded. The Sea-to-Sky Highway requires an update and other transportation improvement projects are expected before the Games. Also, the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre expansion project is expected to provide increased employment opportunities to helpers and labourers, as well as many skilled construction trades workers. Construction industry sources predict that as many as 12,000 additional workers, skilled and unskilled, will be needed just to complete the Olympic work and all related commercial and institutional projects currently planned to commence between 2004 and 2005 in the province.

www.workfutures.bc.ca...

I'd be surprised if our provincial govt does't start bringing labourers up from Mexico on it's own real soon for these projects.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes intrepid but you are aware of the problem we in US have with the immigration, how long it will take for Canada to start noticing that they are getting a growing problem.

How about when the cheap labor takes over.

It's a different thing here Marg. Not just the weather, that's a REAL bugger once you get out of BC. I'm not sure how many Mexicans would be able to handle the weather that is like in Minnisota. We're used to it. Secondly, I've heard it said that Mexicans do jobs that Americans wouldn't. Can't vouch for the validity of that, haven't seen it myself but here we don't have a problem with doing those jobs.

The last job I worked in my own province(10 years ago) I made $1500/month GROSS(and remember Canada is one of the most taxed nations in the west) and I got every other Sunday off. That's a pittance. They want to battle the cold and the drive of a Canadian? All the power to them. I wish them well.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sorry I forgot about the cold weather but I know many Mexicans here in my neck of the woods and they said that Mexico have cold weather also.

But I guess they are no used to long freezing winters.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think it might be a cultural thing. Do Mexicans even know what hockey is? They might. We're into football(soccer). But could they deal with this?

Just saying.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Ahhh, Canadian winters....

Plunging temperatures and strong winds made it feel like nearly –50 C in some parts of Manitoba on Friday, as winter returned with a vengeance.

Environment Canada issued wind chill warnings for most of southern Manitoba, including Winnipeg, the Red River Valley, and the Brandon and Dauphin areas.

Morning temperatures in the Manitoba capital dipped as low as –36 C. With the wind chill, it felt like –48. By 3 p.m., the mercury rose to –28, but that felt like –35 with the wind chill factored in.

www.cbc.ca...

Skin freeze warnings (exposed skin will freeze in two minutes) happen a few times a year. It can be hard to get Mexicans to stay up here once fall comes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join