It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it really the end...of the world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was a big sceptic of the Global Warming mumbo-jumbo untill I watched something on the History Channel.
And terrified I say "Its very reall people".
Now Maybe I don't know a whole lot about it, but from what i've gathered and kind of put together is that it is VERY real; when people starting learning and finding out, i think the government started the whole "its a 'scam'" thing so the Americans don't freak out.

Please let me know what you think...

Should I really be worried about life after the next 10 or 15 years or so...
Or should I enjoy my time here, on earth.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Please let me make myself clear though.... I do believe that there are many things that will destroy the earth.
Ex. Nuclear Weapons (whether mistake or not)
Diseases
Natural disasters
And the most scary... Humans...Man

Im actually interested in all of these...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It's better to have people not believe than to believe despite what many say about free the truth blah blah blah. I think people should learn things only if they can handle it. I also believe a mass of people freaking out and feeding back into their frenzy to make a situation worse is more than possible. All I am saying is if I knew anything I wouldn't say it to anyone, even people I trusted and flt could handle it. Make sense?

Now as far as enjoying life of course, what else is there to do. I imagine negative emotions just attract negative happenings. Agree? Plus even if we knew we were gonna go into a dark age or period could we do much of anything to prepare besides our soul on different levels.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimplyMaryJane
I was a big sceptic of the Global Warming mumbo-jumbo untill I watched something on the History Channel.
Please let me know what you think...

I didn't see this history channel,if you want to enjoy yr life start to dig some bunker or move to a higher mountain b4 12-2012

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

And terrified I say "Its very reall people".

Man made global warming is mumbo-jumbo.
Sure its a little warmer but it has been even hotter in the past before the industrial revolution. Its just a natural cycle of the Sun and Earth. This is why where some of the ice is melting they are finding remnants of past civilizations. Its all natural so don't worry.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If we don't die from nuclear war, global warming soon, we will die from general fear of living.

The cost of living is too much for most people to bear lately. Too many smokers, too much artificial additives, too many wars, too much meat, too much lactose, too much caffeine, too much sugar, too much carbon footprint.

Lately when I go to dinner parties or invites, most people arrive in their trendy Priuses while I know they don't really give a crap about saving the earth, but I don't think even they know it yet. The talk always revolves around the world is dying and it's all our fault, BUT we can help it by not flushing everytime we pee.

I look at them as I would when an alien is standing in front of me.

Aliens, all these people...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
That makes sense... I have just started 8 years in Law School though and I wondered if it is even worth it.

I agree, the world will be deminished sooner than later due to something. Probably something caused by man.
Is there anything "we" can do now to help stop the end from comming soon, or I guess it will just end when its ready...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I had a thought on global warming, if the western world lets it happen, all the countries that can't feed themself or are in tropic zones are just plain finished. These are the same people with the culture religions and lets say attitudes that the NeoCons don't like.

See where I am going with this, global warming the new weapon.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
I had a thought on global warming, if the western world lets it happen, all the countries that can't feed themself or are in tropic zones are just plain finished. These are the same people with the culture religions and lets say attitudes that the NeoCons don't like.

See where I am going with this, global warming the new weapon.

The problem with most peoples logic regarding global warming is they believe it's the fault of the U.S.
Even if the U.S. all of a sudden stopped using all fossil fuels it would not make a impact because there are so many other countries burning fuels with no regards to the planet. At least the U.S. does have regulation so things don't totally get out of hand. China for one comes to mind. They are worse polluters than the U.S., so go make China reduce pollutions first!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Global warming is real, what scientist don't know is whether or not it is being accelerated by main. I personally believe that the earth is just going through a warming cycle for a hundred years, and the it will cool down again.

I will say that I do not believe in all that carbon footprint stuff though. Recent studies show that increased carbon levels can be due to increased temperature, along with the other way around, which complicate matters.

Source

Also, the oldest known temperature records only go back 1659. So who's really to say that this is the fastest that the earth is warming?

Source

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wswbkbroiler

What worries me is that we have to breathe this polluted air. Breathing the air in most of the world is similar to drinking water out of the gutter. This is the greatest cost of our carbon based lifestyles.

First step is to rid the world of profit. Then we could achieve man's greatest dreams.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The results of the warming are pole shifting too, not sure if it's mentioned that often. More and more reports are coming out of the melting of artic ice, but it seems a skeptical topic naturally some say it's natural(scientists) others say it's humanity.
It's the first time our moden society has delt with this, so of course confusing/full of doubt.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I hadn't thought about the other countries polluting the OZONE also, I guess no matter what the world is going to do what it wants to do.

What about the contenent change. On the History Channel Episode I watched, they were talking about when all the ice melts, flooding most of the continents and maybe revealing lost ones?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Global Warming is very real, if not in the end of the world way everyone seems to think it its.

We emit Greenhouse gases into the troposphere (the first bit of the atmosphere after land, or lithosphere) and these cause solar radiation to 'bounce' from them to the land over and over again. Of course, this heats us up. A big issue here is the Kyoto Protocol, which is supposed to cut these emissions down. Unfortunately, the US and Australia wont sign it and they are two of the biggest contributors.

But, and a big but, there's really nothing we can do about it. Sure, some countries are lucky enough to be able to build wind farms, nuclear plants and so forth. The majority can't, 'green' energy costs an awful lot of money to set up and it's simply cheaper to use fossil fuels.

Our real concern and probably main aim as we sail into the future is first building alternative energy sources in our own countries, then helping others out. We need to do this because by around 2050-60, fossil fuels (maybe with the exception of natural gas) will have run out.

I'll sit here with my fingers crossed that we start with the alternative sources as soon as possible, it will kill two birds with one stone, global warming will be gone and so will fossil fuels.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Sure its a little warmer but it has been even hotter in the past before the industrial revolution.

Yes. And at the time New York City was on the seabed.

Still, I guess no-one would notice much if that happened again?

But seriously, even the most serious predictions aren't talking about the end of the world. And IMO we should be more worried about the climatic effects of rainforest destruction than on carbon emissions - which frankly we can't reduce in the near future.

Significant sea levels changes could occur within the next 100 or so years, although only Hansen seriously things they'll rise by several meters in that period. At present there is little evidence of any additional rise. But come back in 10,000 years and see

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It's real. But the Newzoid programs have to go for the dramatic angle so they always overplay things. A good case in point is their "supervolcano" special which left you with the impression that Yellowstone was going to erupt Any Second Now.

Da facts:
Global warming will cause climate change. Depending on where you are, pollution will change the amount of warmth in the area. Species will die or migrate or move to other areas and pests that were once in only one area will move to new ones. We no longer see the little juncos at our bird feeder... kind of a sad thing, too.

Ocean levels will rise... slowly. If you live in Venice, you're already aware of this and it'd be a good idea to raise your house higher or move.

We will see stronger storms and more high-strength tornados and hurricanes. People in the poor areas of the Caribbean and Mexico and Central America are at high risk of death and destruction. Tornado Alley in the US (where I live) may see a lot more tornados (note: I've lived here for 40 years and have never actually seen a tornado... so that will tell you how uncommon they are even in Tornado Alley.)

A lot of the things they tell you to do to "live green" are actually money-saving (like using the compact flourescent lightbulbs and taking your own shopping bags.) I suggest to people that they do these simple things to save money and help the environment.

So, watch the programs with a spoonfull of "gosh they're really overplaying this" attitude. The info is generally correct but it's way, way, waaaaayyyyyy overdramatized to draw in viewers.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

It's real. But the Newzoid programs have to go for the dramatic angle so they always overplay things. A good case in point is their "supervolcano" special which left you with the impression that Yellowstone was going to erupt Any Second Now.

Da facts:
Global warming will cause climate change. Depending on where you are, pollution will change the amount of warmth in the area. Species will die or migrate or move to other areas and pests that were once in only one area will move to new ones. We no longer see the little juncos at our bird feeder... kind of a sad thing, too.

Ocean levels will rise... slowly. If you live in Venice, you're already aware of this and it'd be a good idea to raise your house higher or move.

We will see stronger storms and more high-strength tornados and hurricanes. People in the poor areas of the Caribbean and Mexico and Central America are at high risk of death and destruction. Tornado Alley in the US (where I live) may see a lot more tornados (note: I've lived here for 40 years and have never actually seen a tornado... so that will tell you how uncommon they are even in Tornado Alley.)

A lot of the things they tell you to do to "live green" are actually money-saving (like using the compact flourescent lightbulbs and taking your own shopping bags.) I suggest to people that they do these simple things to save money and help the environment.

So, watch the programs with a spoonfull of "gosh they're really overplaying this" attitude. The info is generally correct but it's way, way, waaaaayyyyyy overdramatized to draw in viewers.

That really helps alot. Thanks

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I studied meteorolgy in the Navy and my instructor said global warming is a load of BS. The Earth goes through heating and cooling phases. Believe it or not but its 1000s of years to come out of an ice age and that is what is happening now. For those who says its real, there is no way for scientists to know what the temps were back then. We can't even predict the weather more than 36 hours ahead of time.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Very good points...The only thing that scares me is that history repeats itself, which no one can deny, and sooner or later mankind is going to be demolished.

There also seem to be alot of predictions for 2012. (i know 2012 are alot of threads, but i just wanted to see if anyone has anything on that)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

There also seem to be alot of predictions for 2012. (i know 2012 are alot of threads, but i just wanted to see if anyone has anything on that)

2012 is all speculation and prediction. How many countless other dates over the years have been found that will be the end for mankind. Answer: lots! This is why I believe its just another date for people to sink their teeth into for whatever reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join