It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman is horribly abused, sexualy mentally and also tortured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
(CNN) -- Six West Virginia residents have been charged with kidnapping, torturing and sexually assaulting a Charleston woman for at least a week, the Logan County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

Danny Combs and Alisha Burton were charged in the West Virginia case.

1 of 3 Sheriff's deputies went Saturday to a Big Creek, West Virginia, residence in response to an anonymous tip that a woman was being held against her will, the department said in a news release.

As they spoke with a woman on the front porch, "a female inside the residence limped toward the door with her arms held out, saying, "Help me."

The 23-year-old woman had stab wounds on her left leg and bruises around her eyes, authorities said. The wounds were about a week old, the release said.

"Deputies found her with two black eyes, part of her hair had been pulled out, she had lacerations on her neck, and she had been physically, mentally and sexually abused," Logan County Sheriff W.E. Hunter said.

The victim was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court, The Associated Press reported.

Deputies arrested Frankie Brewster, 49; her son Bobby, 24; Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, West Virginia; and George A. Messer, 27, Karen Burton, 46, and Alisha Burton, 23, all of Chapmanville, West Virginia. All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders, according to AP.

Charges range from kidnapping and torturing to malicious wounding and battery.

Those arrested are white and the victim is black, and the FBI plans to investigate it as a possible hate crime, according to AP. The sheriff's department requested the FBI's participation, an agency spokesman told AP

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
That is horrible. But I hate the term "Hate Crime". Of course it's a hate crime. And it would be a hate crime regardless of the victim's color.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This was a case of some very evil and sick people. The fact of race, while it may be played for the media, most likely has only a small part, if any, in the crimes. People chose to be cruel, and then they chose a victim.

And before one of you self centered yankees (jk) gets on the bandwagon about this being a "hillbilly/redneck" type crime, just remember that it happens in every state and every ethnic and social group.

Humans should have learned to be humane by now.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
seen this on the news,truly sick people. each should get life x4!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ugh thats horrible... what the heck is wrong with humans??? What could have driven them to do this to someone???

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It is an awful thing when an individual carries out a cruel selfish act toward another human being for personal gratification..................

But when a group of people can make a collective decision to dehumanize another person for their personal use. It is just so telling of society when it is accepted by that many people in a household to be numb to right and wrong as if there are no consequences for actions. Legally or morally.

It's horrible. I am sorry for the person they did those things to. I hope she can recover and heal quickly.

Ex

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How long would it take you to Recover from such an event?

Repeatedly raped , made to eat dog #, drink from the toilet bowl?

Oh, and not by just one pervert.......a house full and their friends!

This IS not only a Hate crime against a
BLACK WOMAN
It is a Crime against humanity at large!

You don't recover from these kinds of acts.....
you learn to live with the pain!

I am humbled that not only did this woman come forward

but that she is letting the press use her name .......

That's True Strength!

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex

Do you not understand that by using the term "hate crime" and how it's against " a black woman" that you give ground to the very idea of a seperation of the races of man? It was a crime against another human being.

As long as people accept the idea of catagorizing crimes as being ethnic there will be a racial divide. She was a human. We don't have crimes against blonds, or crimes against midgets, or crimes against piano tuners. Please stop trying to make it separate from the fact that it was a crime against another human.

The race card is played by every politician out there, and they love the idea that as long as they pretend to care we'll follow along. It's nothing but a nother way to keep the races of man divided, to reinforce the idea that we are not all the same.

Now before you start getting up in arms that I would dare feel free to speak so, bear in mind that I am a Native American.I have fought long and hard, in more ways than you could imagine, to get rights and due process for other Native Peoples.BUT, those are the rights of treaty law, rights as should be recognized in a court of civil law.

Even so, I want no special right for myself or others of my ethnicity under the criminal law. And I realize that when you, or the criminal justice system, tries to use race as a factor in looking at a crime, then the person involved becomes "another". As an "another" you are not part of society as a whole.

I fully understand the well meaning attitude that many have when they use these terms, but it does a great wrong in the end, for it perpetuates the idea that there is a fundemental difference in humanity. We are all human, equally.

And we have allowed this separation of our nation for far too long. Politicians "court the black vote", as if these people were a separate nation here in America, as if they were "another" people besides normal American voters. We have the term "hate crime", as if such things were not hateful in their own right. These are the divisions that our leaders WANT, because divided we are weaker.

I don't mean to sound off on you personally, for I am sure you spoke as you did without thinking about exactly what your words meant. To do so is a sign of just how insidiously we have been conditioned to separate ourselves one from another. Just as our leaders want us to be.

This was a terrible crime, and the harshest punishment should be meted out to those involved. It was a hate crime. The hate that some humans have towards other humans.We as a species will never get past our history of ethnic cleansing until we stop identifying the ethnicity of those involved, and start to see everyone as the same sort of creature that we ourselves are.

Rant ended.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
That's pretty messed up. I wonder why they didn't tie her down, anyway. Letting her walk around like that... getting them arrested.

Pretty careless for some sick criminals.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
These people deserve nothing less then what they brought upon that women. However sad it may be this is impossible because these animals have no emotions.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by Ex

Do you not understand that by using the term "hate crime" and how it's against " a black woman" that you give ground to the very idea of a seperation of the races of man? It was a crime against another human being.

No,he is simply being a realist.It was a hate crime in my mind.You cannot simply choose to ignore the words hate crime and hope the problem gos away.

Do not deny evidence because the outcome scares you.If you honestly think him saying it was a hate crime is splitting humanity then work to change the damm crime,do not deny the crime happend.

In my mind human kind has lost all compassion,understanding,and basically all emotion.How could you do these acts and not think about what this poor woman is going through.Heartless world we live in.

I believe it will only get worse and I believe this for a few reasons.

-We watch t.v. wich everyone knows is largely overcome with violence.

-We play violent video games everyday.

-Decline in good parenting(I'm a prime example but I shall spare you 40 pages of sob story)

-No longer is it honorable to hold the door for the elderly

-No longer is it honorable to simply be nice,and expicially without expecting something in return.

-No longer do we help a fellow human in need,thats damm disturbing.(such as the case of the woman being raped and beat and poeple taking pictures of it and ignoring her crys for help for over 90 minutes,also the case of the woman stabbed at a convenience store and they also just took pictures WITH A CAMERA PHONE and did not call the police.She later died)

-I believe most if not all human actions in todays world is motivated by money money money.Therefor you truly learn to be calous(sp?)and to not only let other poeple down,but lie,sneak,steal,backstab and much more.All this just to make your way to the top for a few more bucks.

-In todays world we see many many indescriminent murders,without the killer ever even knowing the victem.I cannot fatham this.Even when I was young around 15 years ago you did'nt hear about this.If a man murdered another it was usally do to being caught in bed with his wife,or road rage,or a drunken bar fight that went to far,or retaliation.None of wich do I think should drive you to murder someone(except maybe the cheating wife heh).But the fact is THEY HAD A REASON,they were'nt just KILLING FOR FUN.

I'm worried about rasing a kid in the new world I see blosseming before my eyes.Hell that is if the goverment does not kick off a war that will take many many lives.I mean even our president is a damm foolish chump that can't form a sentence.

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex
How long would it take you to Recover from such an event?

Repeatedly raped , made to eat dog #, drink from the toilet bowl?

Oh, and not by just one pervert.......a house full and their friends!

You don't recover from these kinds of acts.....
you learn to live with the pain!

I couldn't say how long it would take me to recover from something so harsh. But I would like to believe that healing and recovery certainly is possible. Of course your life would be forever changed yet there is a spirit, a drive in most to move forward in a life affirming way regardless of what happens to us in this life.

You don't have to always live with emotional pain, it can be processed and transformed.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The poor lady will be scared scared mentally for life lets hope the law gives the full punishment

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sth Hemisphere
The poor lady will be scared scared mentally for life lets hope the law gives the full punishment

Mental scars are part of life. So is survival.

Of course the perpetrators should be removed from any kind of existance that would allow them to repeat any type of abuse to anyone. To take it a step further my own belief is that they should have to endure everything they did to her for starters.

I still think it is possible to overcome the status as a victim and become a survivor and find a way to turn travesty into hope and inspiration to others. I hope the woman is able to lock into a real caring supportive environment that can facilitate recovery.

top topics

join