It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Bush government attack Canada's economy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Last year when Bush decided to invade Iraq, our Prime Minister said that he would not commit troops without U.N. approval. The same year British Columbia had it's worst forest fire in 50 years. The beef industry had 1 case of Mad Cow disease, the cow came from the States, and Canadian beef was boycotted. SARS hits Toronto. Anyone that got a cold or Flu in America,that travelled through Toronto, was reported to be a potential SARS case, I read of 2 cases, one in Texas and one in Virginia. Neither turned out to be SARS, but that was no relief to the tourism industry.
Was this all a multi-billion dollar coincidence or was it Dubya saying you don't support me I'll screw you?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I guess we should check the ice & hockey stick prices on the stock market!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
the cow came from the States, and Canadian beef was boycotted. SARS hits Toronto. Anyone that got a cold or Flu in America,that travelled through Toronto, was reported to be a potential SARS case, I read of 2 cases, one in Texas and one in Virginia. Neither turned out to be SARS, but that was no relief to the tourism industry.
Was this all a multi-billion dollar coincidence or was it Dubya saying you don't support me I'll screw you?

Don't forget the Blackout in Ontario in August! Though that wasn't isolated to Ontario, still.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
You won't have to. If you really want to know I can e-mail you from my igloo.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yes Pataki was quick to say it was here when it was confirmed to be a problem in Ohio.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yes, I recall both Canadian and American officials slinging the blame at eachother in the first few hours.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Lets not forget the clampdown on the borders for trafficing marijuana into the states. It's an CD$80 billion industry in British Columbia alone. Now ya'll are swimming in buds and we have to put up with crappy, domestic, outdoor junk.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Sorry not me I quit smoking it 2 years ago.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
We're talking about the economy here. If you wanted to swim in buds, you could and it's the result of the Bush administrations hard stance on "terrorism lite."

The less you smoke, the more of a glut your country will face, the less income hydro growers will make and the less money that will be circulating in the local market. Businessess will lose revenue and less foreign investments will be made. This is basic economics but you can't ignore the facts. Marijuana in Canada is BIG business, C$80 billion dollars worth of untaxed GDP is nothing to scoff at and could have a profoundly negative chain reaction across the board, but not across the border.

*EDIT: Let me repeat, that C$80 billion is in British Columbia alone. Tally up the rest of the provinces and thats a critical industry in the Canadian economy. However, at least Alberta will be doing alright with the price per barrel of oil at US$35. It Might help to fill the void in Albertan hydro-pot sales.

[Edited on 1-20-2004 by insite]

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Actually I quit because I didn't want to be a " do as I say not as I do" father, but the reallity of the pot industry is that the people making this money is biker gangs, oriental & european gangs, and believe it or not the financially well to do. I'm sure that they are not concerned with their taxes let alone their contribution to the economy. This is why I'm totally for legal weed. It could be regulated. It could be taxed. It would benefit an economy instead taking away from it.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
These gangs and organised crime rings and so forth may contribute to a lot of the bulk to the industry, as I have witnessed during my time in Canada. I'm in agreement with you on this. However, these people all still spend money. Not only are their livlihoods vanishing, but so are those of the small grow operators. With the demise of the canadian cannabis industry many other subsets aka. compliments disappear.

Canada has the most high tech and ingenuitive hydroponic research and development on the planet. If the same grow op's that exported heavy quantity are now domestics, competition forces others out and a less of a demand there will be on hydro systems. The chain reaction I was talking about earlier.

Anyways, this is just my example to contribute to your thread. You can find faults in it I'm sure. But for the most part, the downfall of an important industry like that is bad for the Canadian economy (which surely you agree on), and it's the Bush adminsitrations fault (to a lesser extent its al-Quaida too, who gave Bush his excuse to close the borders and screen every piece of luggage coming in to the U.S.).

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Insite, you truely live up to your name. I totally agree with on all accounts. And I'm not trying to debate this point, wrong forum, but our gov. has been trying for years to decriminalize/ legalize M.J., but there has been strong resistance from the gov. below our border not to do so. And you don't want to screw with your biggest trading partner.

new topics

top topics

join