It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"As scientists run their biggest race, the U.S. falls hopelessly behind Europe."

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

The LHC is an international endeavour with the UK being among over forty countries participating in the project. Countries collaborating in the LHC project are Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan Republic, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan.
Source

So if the people were equally gathered, each country would be supplying about 175 men. So I say 700 scientists from the United States is not a bad number at all. This experiment is being led by the United Kingdom, they put 16% of the cost int his experiment.
However, this does not mean US will be doing much, they are given "observer status". Maybe in the future they will work together.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well, I checked the wiki article and it does indeed turn out that America is contributing the most scientists of all the countries contributing on the LHC project.

So much for OP's thesis...

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander

You seem to think that contract fraud is unique to the U.S. Not true by a long shot, bub. Sure, the American taxpayer is getting shook-down hardcore, but the undeniable fact is that the American soldier still has more material available to him or her than do the soldiers of any other countries, and, as a rule, the materiel is higher quality.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

You seem to think that contract fraud is unique to the U.S. Not true by a long shot, bub. Sure, the American taxpayer is getting shook-down hardcore, but the undeniable fact is that the American soldier still has more material available to him or her than do the soldiers of any other countries, and, as a rule, the materiel is higher quality.

The sheer SCALE of government fraud in US is not only unique, it is simply UNPRECIDENTED!

A few years back Pentagon “lost” 1.2 TRILLION DOLLARS, and only made the announcement two weeks after its head accountant resigned to take up his other job as a Rabbi full time. This is not a joke, look it up.

Sheer thief of Iraq war funds is simply UNREAL, and even during WWII such blatant thievery and looting was never witnessed.

As to American solders being the best equipped, do you recall AMMO shortage? Body armor shortage which forced our soldier to buy their OWN armor? How about vehicle armor shortage which forced outr boys to dig through Iraqi dumps for scraps of old Iraqi armor?

For your information, traditional European NATO members equip their soldier far BETTER then US, both in materials and most importantly, SOCIAL SERVICES.

That includes better all around pay, retirement plan, education, housing, FREE HEALTH CARE, and the list goes on.

A new documentary is coming out, in which a SINGLE guy in New York found over 80 homeless Iraq/Afghanistan vets with in a SINGLE week.

These guys, these AMERICAN solders that served tour country, ARE FORCED TO LIVE OUT OF THEIR CARS!!!

Go and tell them how much better equipped they are…

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
LOL, gotta love this as a typical tactic of Iskander. his entire post has been blown out of the water and now he is trying to find something else to argue about. What a soldiers equipment has to do with the LHC, who knows.

I'm still waiting for our resident genious here
to explain what the god particle is and how whoever owns the LHC will have some military advantage by finding it. Iam aware of what the "god" particle theoretically is, but as usual Iskander is talking nonsense and I want an explanation. I notice if the scrutiny with his posts ets just a little difficult he has selective sight.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
God is love. Pure white energy. LHC's and v shaped armored hulls would never understand.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Me thinks he has anger managment issues to.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tonka

Well that’s all fine and dandy, espetially "As scientists run their biggest race, the U.S. falls hopelessly behind Europe."

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
cool i read about this god particle a few months ago and yea america is so far behind europe is almost ready to test the thing and see if it works!

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
No .. no it's not.
...Ow.

Pain.

[edit on 17-9-2007 by Iblis]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Right "EUROPE is ready to test the thing and the US is so far behind"

First off EUROPE is not a single nation and even with the advent of the EU which seems to exist for the sole purpose of the french not having to fund their own lifestyle or work more than 32 hours a week.

Second yes you're big supercollider is largelly funded by the US and UK both of which will most likelly have the lions share of scientists, and even if it's in another country there are these amazing things that orbit the earth called satellites.... As you may or may not know they can transmit large amounts of data by converting them to 1's and 0's and move said 1's and 0's all the way across the (formidable in the late 1600's) Atlantic Ocean in a matter of minutes!!

Funny that the Euros and the like who are so in favor of globalism Cannot even grasp the simple concept that it truly does not make a fart in a tornadoe's difference WHERE the collider is located as any country involved will have access to the data pools the experiments generate.

On a side note I am still pissed about people too short sighted to realize we have REAL solutions that could be implemented before we reach critical infrastructure loading and start seeing hunger, energy shortages, and crumbling infrastructure related tragedies. I am happy that research like this goes on don't get me wrong and even more happy that many many countries will have access to the data the super collider generates. But I still tend to question the sanity of people that are even worried about falling behind in a race that won't matter for another decade and could quite realistically be a moot point then as Militant forces and changes in the climate combined with the weakening infrastructure make any breakthroughs we could possibly achieve impossible to exploit for sheer want of basic materials and energy to build the next step.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
reply to post by Tonka

Well that’s all fine and dandy, espetially "As scientists run their biggest race, the U.S. falls hopelessly behind Europe."

I do not see how you came to this observation. The US makes up 40% of the worlds spending in research and development. Europe is actually falling further behind in these regards. China, as well as india and in some cases, brazil, are all catching up to Europe. These countries are also expected to even surpass europe in the not to distant future. I do not think the US is losing its edge. If anything, I think the rest of the world is developing and advancing on a larger scale at faster rate, then it ever has in our recorded history. It will be more common in the future, till, eventually, everything evens out.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So while the LHC will make God Particles, the US's mass collidors will make anti-matter?

To be honest the God Particle doesn't seem to have any significant military application, Anti-matter on the other hand does. Now not enough anti-matter has been made to yield any real significance, but I'm sure if the whole world got together and started making it things would probably change.

Besides the US has a bid in the LHC do they not? So they're already in the program and will benefit just as much as any other single nation inolved science-wise.

To direct the OP, let the Europeans make God particles, I doubt those god particles are going to shoot down stealth bombers and fighters.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Anti-matter, lol? With out current technology, even if containment of the stuff WERE possible, actual applications would require more energy be used to create the weapon antimatter than the energy needed to build the target object.
Current production costs are ridiculous. 1 gram of antimatter reacting with 1 gram of matter would produce an energy equivalent of ~40 kilotons TNT. That amount of antimatter, with current production techniques, costs ~$100,000,000,000,000,000 and would take a single production site ~100,000,000,000 years to produce.

Then of course you have the issue of containment. With current technology, only a few million antiprotons have ever been contained in one trap.

Antimatter weapons are possible to create, but a good ways off.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Now you took what I said and expanded into an area I was well aware of, but hadn't crossed into.

What I was trying to say that we have infact created Anti-matter particles.

However, where'd you get the information on the 40 kilotons of TNT bit? From what I understand Anti-matter has 90-100 percent release of energy.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Aye, it IS about 99% energy release when thrown together with matter.
Note that I mixed up the costs and time constraints; the actual numbers for costs for 1 gram are 3 factors of ten lower than what I show in post above.

Anyhow, I got the 40 kilotons from reading that that's about the yield produced from 1 gram of annhialating antimatter.

Not that that isn't massive; it's efficiency is over 10 times what you get out of a good fusion bomb. Just that it isn't efficient; the costs are prohibitive, the time it takes to manufacture antimatter are prohibative, and we have no method atm of storing any weaponizable amount.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by uberfoop]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I do not see how you came to this observation.

By reading this article;

www.thetrumpet.com...

To be honest the God Particle doesn't seem to have any significant military application, Anti-matter on the other hand does.

Yep, it’s only the key to the very existence it self, noting major here…

This is a good one

To direct the OP, let the Europeans make God particles, I doubt those god particles are going to shoot down stealth bombers and fighters.

It’s like saying – I doubt that these “light” and “radio” beams can put a bullet in the chest of the enemy.

21st century stuff here, not the “magic” of gun powder and dynamite.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by uberfoop

Ahh yes good point! True that the time and cost required to make anti-matter a viable weapon's solution just isn't worth it at the time, maybe in 3-4 hundred years or so, maybe sooner.

And iskander, way to totally miss the point I was trying to make.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
This thread doesn't belong here..

Why isn't it in the sciences forum..

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
...snip ou yourself are a Hippy and deliberately trying to spread disinformation about fusion power. God Damn Hippy's!!!

I am a proud but humble Hippy and Christ has blessed me !!!
eat yer heart out!
Fusion is mostly confusion that I can tell

THE Defence Key:
Psa 127:1

Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman guards it in vain.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join