It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US offers missile cooperation with Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here it is, some that expected this to happed for sime time now;

PARIS (AFP) - The United States on Monday made new proposals to cooperate with Russia on missile defence in a bid to overcome Moscow's opposition to its plans for a missile shield in central Europe, the US negotiator said.

US Assistant Secretary of State for international security and nonproliferation John Hood said the Russians had agreed to study the new offer during talks in Paris and that a new meeting would be held in Moscow on October 3.

"Today we engaged in discussion where we made new proposals for cooperative missile defence activities," Hood told journalists after the day of talks at the Russian embassy in Paris.

"We would like to get into a deeper dialogue about what some of these specific elements could be," he said.

news.yahoo.com...

It sure looks like S-400/500 fits into ABM programm after all.

It's simple, if US systems could provide a higher degree of protection against ballistic missiles, then this proposal would not exist.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
It sure looks like S-400/500 fits into ABM programm after all.

It's simple, if US systems could provide a higher degree of protection against ballistic missiles, then this proposal would not exist.

You must be living in a different world if that's simple to you. I don't really follow the logic nor can I see how you arrived at that conclusion from the news report. The US and Russia have been throwing proposals out like candy in an attempt to quiet the other while still retaining a "geo political" advantage. In the end nothing will really happen and the US plan will proceed as originally planned.

Also, a far more logical conclusion is that the US system is far more capable then believed or else Russia would not be making such a big deal out of it…

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You must be living in a different world if that's simple to you.

Everybody has the right to their opinions, you must be aware of that one.

I don't really follow the logic nor can I see how you arrived at that conclusion from the news report.

You can always ask. Generally it’s a more productive way of communication.

The US and Russia have been throwing proposals out like candy in an attempt to quiet the other while still retaining a "geo political" advantage.

Not following you there. You mean proposals for the joint program do to American insistence of totally surrounding Russia with ABM installations?

In the end nothing will really happen and the US plan will proceed as originally planned.

Kind of like in the 60s, when US surrounded USSR with nuclear missiles, thus forcing Khruschev to send missiles to Cuba and sparking the crisis which almost ended our civilization?

You’re looking forward to the same type of scenario? Kind of like another chance to end all life as we know it?

Interesting.

Also, a far more logical conclusion is that the US system is far more capable then believed or else Russia would not be making such a big deal out of it…

How do you figure that one out?

Let’s take a look at that logic.

If US system is much more capable (how do you know that btw?), then why would US propose a joint venture?

Aren’t they competing systems?

It’s kind of like, hey look at us, we make a better car then you do, so let’s build one together, is that how it is?

How do you figure that Russia is making a big deal out of this? I’
M not following you there at all, since the report is US generated.

p.s. Which US ABM system has officially passed all testing phases and entered service? Because Russians have one, it’s called S-400, what do we have exactly?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You must be living in a different world if that's simple to you.

Everybody has the right to their opinions, you must be aware of that one.

I don't really follow the logic nor can I see how you arrived at that conclusion from the news report.

You can always ask. Generally it’s a more productive way of communication.

The US and Russia have been throwing proposals out like candy in an attempt to quiet the other while still retaining a "geo political" advantage.

Not following you there. You mean proposals for the joint program do to American insistence of totally surrounding Russia with ABM installations?

In the end nothing will really happen and the US plan will proceed as originally planned.

Kind of like in the 60s, when US surrounded USSR with nuclear missiles, thus forcing Khruschev to send missiles to Cuba and sparking the crisis which almost ended our civilization?

You’re looking forward to the same type of scenario? Kind of like another chance to end all life as we know it?

Interesting.

How do you figure that one out?

Let’s take a look at that logic.

If US system is much more capable (how do you know that btw?), then why would US propose a joint venture?

Aren’t they competing systems?

It’s kind of like, hey look at us, we make a better car then you do, so let’s build one together, is that how it is?

How do you figure that Russia is making a big deal out of this? I’
M not following you there at all, since the report is US generated.

p.s. Which US ABM system has officially passed all testing phases and entered service? Because Russians have one, it’s called S-400, what do we have exactly?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Havent the russians basically ignored the ABM treaty and build themselves theire own system? I can remember reading allot about that lately here. If so then the russians could have several decades more experience and possibily a technological advantage.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Don't mind Iskander, Tomcat.

He's just a Nationalist, trying to turn an article into a Russia Is Better Than The US discussion.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Havent the russians basically ignored the ABM treaty and build themselves theire own system? I can remember reading allot about that lately here. If so then the russians could have several decades more experience and possibily a technological advantage.

Nope, Bush is the one that decided to pull out, not the Russians;

CNN.com - U.S. quits ABM treaty - December 14, 2001

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Thursday the United States has notified Russia that it intends to pull out of the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, starting a six-month timetable for withdrawal and opening the way for the creation of an anti-missile defense system.
"Today I am giving formal notice to Russia that the United States of America is withdrawing from this almost 30-year-old treaty," Bush said in the White House Rose Garden. "I have concluded the ABM treaty hinders our government's ability to develop ways to protect our people from future terrorist or rogue state missile attacks."

archives.cnn.com...
Russian ABM system is a modification of their existing SAM systems, with the major difference in radar and data processing.

He's just a Nationalist, trying to turn an article into a Russia Is Better Than The US discussion

I beg your pardon? If you care to make baseless stereotypical accusations, please feel free to do it via U2Us.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iblis

He's just a Nationalist, trying to turn an article into a Russia Is Better Than The US discussion.

Agreed, you should see all the mistakes he made in the FAther of all Bombs thread, trying to show how superior the Russians are. Everyone knows he's wrong, kinda funny though that he persists telling lies.

top topics

join