It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David cameron wants national service (u.k.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Do you plan to let your child do this when they leave school?I certainly dont.

Every 16-year-old will be expected to devote their summer to "patriotic" national service, under radical proposals being launched by David Cameron today.

To complete the course youngsters would need to meet the organisers, pledge allegiance to Britain

Speechless.

politics.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 6-9-2007 by tracey ace]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wow, just wow.

I honestly can't believe this, surely there's more to it? I'm going to sit here and flat our refuse to believe this until I hear more about it. Luckily no-one listens to him ey? Hopefully he wont give anyone else ideas.

One more step towards what everyone's been fearing?

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Zanzibar]

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Zanzibar]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I didnt have children to send them to do whatever.

I swear im probably going to get in trouble for this but im taking my child out of school NOW.

They are training my daughter to disarm people with knives and guns at school.In physical education...She only started secondary school yestaday.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would suggest it is a damned good idea for every kid to do 2 years National Service after school.

It would teach themdiscipline and regard for their fellow man

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yes it would teach them dicipline but once their name is down.....

My daughter already has respect for others .She is naturally a helper especially for those in situations where they cannot help themselves.

She goes out of her way to befriend lonely children at schools.It upsets her to see lonely children sitting on their own .

I would have thought that keeping children in school till they are 18 would be a better idea..

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
no he doesn't.

read the policy.

Citizen service.

Its about charity work, etc.

NOT NATIONAL SERVICE

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

School leavers would be encouraged to join six-week projects such as military training, working with the elderly and even travelling overseas to help in Third World countries.

No it looks like drafting to me.

pledge allegiance to Britain

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
no, read the article

School leavers would be encouraged to join six-week projects such as military training, working with the elderly and even travelling overseas to help in Third World countries.

Military training doesn't mean being enrolled into the army.

Many volunteer programs in the UK do physical training, which Cameron was suggesting. Secondly, it also includes working with old people and traveling to third world countries.

This is not national service.

Cameron even said himself he doesn't want to bring back the traditional national service.

The course would include one week's residential course, four weeks of community service and a week's physical challenge - like Army training or trying to climb the Three Peaks.

See, physical challenge.

This has nothing to do with national service.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Seems like a sensible idea and anything that can instill or re-inforce a greater awareness of the community and social responability should be seen as a way forward.

Of course, if elected, would this be a priority?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I sort of like it, but on the other hand I can't help but feel it's a cross between a gimmick and an attempt to appease those who go on about "the good old days" when young people had to do two years' national service (since Cameron does seem to have moved to the right since Brown took over as PM).

Has anyone thought to ask kids what they want first? I know they can't vote, but I'm sure most of them would appreciate being asked

I know, I know, it's a novel idea... a political party asking people what they want. But surely we could try it?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I may have been wrong and jumped to conclusions but its an updated national service from what i have read.

The children that would enrol wouldnt be the troubled teenagers that are being spoken about.

Most good children already do help out within their own communities but the bad still remain.

I cant see this making any difference unless they make it mandatory for troubled youngsters .That would make more sense.

I recently went to the peak national park and there were helpers picking up syringes that have been left behind from the youngsters who were at the nearby youth hostel.

It doesnt matter where you go the bad still exists and i wouldnt want my child mixing with that without my watchful eye.

And who are these people who would look after my 16 year old for two weeks?The said youth hostel??

[edit on 6-9-2007 by tracey ace]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well I for one welcome this, mabye if this is introduced it will take the gangs that run amok in the cities and towns up and down the uk, off the streets. Also as long as this does not lead to those kids being forced to go to a conflict that the UK is involved in, then I am all for it.

But this should not be made mandatory, the kids should have a choice weither or not they was to join. Woulkd not surprise me if this was challenged in court.

Wonder how long it will be before all those doo gooders/pc brigade will come out and say something.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
No offence lads but, I would prefer having the ill trained, ill equiped idiots on the streets rather than a large force of well trained, under paid, heavily armed and disruptive idiots....

Just a thought, if the guys more willing to smash your head in for a laugh on a friday night, do you really want this guy having a fully automatic weapon?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
WE NEED TO GET RID OF GANGS !, i remember hearing that from him a little bit ago, so his idea of getting rid of gangs is to out 10s of thousands of teenagers in national service, teach them to get fit, how to fight and disapline. He expects no gangs to emerge from that ? The fat kids going to get bullyed, so is the one with the ginger hair and the one with glasses isnt much better of. Im not trying to be mean there and i have nothing agaisnt fat, ginger, visual impared children but hey, we all know they will be the ones that get bullyed.

O i just thought lets get 100 racist chavs or charvs, which ever you say, and put them in for a whole summer with a muslim kid, thats going to end well
We all knwo that charvs and mentaly retarded and there for think that every person who is a Muslim is a terroist. Now that really carnt end well.

This is by far one of the worst plans ever made, no one has thought about what kids are really like, little gits. Plain and simple, bullying rates wil rise, o the satistics will go down because you aint going to get some one in trouble who you have to spend 24 hours a day with, things get worse then. Bullying will rise and so will gangs, they'll just be more organized now.

Thank God im 17.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
My brother would have to do that if it came to pass-
I am 32 and would have to step in my brothers place-There is no way the government will take my little bro into their machine.
They would either let me take his place,or it would get very ugly fast.
David Cameron is bought and paid for by the same people who own all UK USA politicians.
Do not vote for this fool.

top topics

join