It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York public school accused of radical Islamist agenda

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
reply to post by intrepid

So? That's their choice, the American culture doesn't promote a terrorist agenda.

Really? Pt 2. Ask the average Iraqi that question and REALLY listen to the answer you get. You may be surprised.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
It's not a religious school.

How can a school that focuses on Arabic 'culture' avoid the teachings of Islam?

I can see your point, however I can also see how this can be seen as a religious school.

If this were a private school would we even have this discussion?

Can we teach Mormon culture to students without teaching them the LDS faith?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Why not? It may go a long way to combat the increasing Islamophobia.

might. might not.....tax payers don't need to pay for it.

what are they teaching the kids there?

i'm watching cnn right now and the person on the side of the school and said what they are going to be teaching the kids but the person on the other side, she is saying that by law they are required to submit their ciriculum(sp) and they did not.

so, what is going on?

also, according to this lady that is against it, they are not even teaching arabic till AFTER school hours between 3-5 pm so whats the dilly?

someone is lyin or misinformed.....i don't mean us i mean one of these people on the for or against side...

so again, whats the deal?

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

I can answer that. Arab does not equal Islam any more than Islam equates to Arab. Sure, Islam originated from there, but its culture is not the same as Arab culture. Plus there are plenty of Arabs who aren't muslim. And even more muslims who aren't Arab, and probably glad they aren't them

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

thats an interesting question but real fast, intrepid, are you gonna talk about this school or what man?

you're goin way out there.

i am curious as to what 'culture' they are gonna be teaching as well and i am very curious as to this arabic only after school hours....

edit* beach, you don't know what they are teaching there though

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Make no mistake, this is a madrassa............Indoctrination of home grown suicide bombers. They only need to reach a handfull to kill thousands

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
intrepid, are you gonna talk about this school or what man?

you're goin way out there.

I have been talking about this school. laguana has put forth certain points as to why this school shouldn't exist. I'm just showing him that there is precident made by the US, thus his argument against the school is wrong by his reasoning.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If youre in america, you should learn about american culture. I don't get this multi-cultural agenda the western world seems to have.

If you live in america, you adapt to OUR culture... not try to push yours on other.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Make no mistake, this is a madrassa............Indoctrination of home grown suicide bombers. They only need to reach a handfull to kill thousands

And your evidence for this assertion?

Outside the confines of your fervid imagination I mean...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think the problem I'm seeing is that it is related to a muslim state. That is probably due to the high number of Arabic people in New York.

In Arizona Spanish and Latino culture have been thaught for years. Recently Arizona has started an European culture and language training program.
www.azschoolsmakeadifference.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

edit* beach, you don't know what they are teaching there though

Neither do you.
But I know enough that Arab isn't synonymous with Islam, or vice-versa.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Teaching Arabic language and culture will have to include Islam.

The modern version of the Arabic language is largely influenced by Islam's most holy scriptures. In virtually all cases Islamic culture and Arabic culture are one in the same. Where problems arise is with radical Islamic organizations.

Arabic language and culture?

The Qur'an had a significant influence of the Arabic language. The language used in the Qur'an is called classical Arabic and while modern Arabic has diverged slightly, the classical is still the style to be admired. Not only is the Qur'an the first work of any significant length written in the language it also has a far more complicated structure than the earlier literary works with its 114 suras (chapters) which contain 6,236 ayat (verses). It contains injunctions, narratives, homilies, parables, direct addresses from God, instructions and even comments on itself on how it will be received and understood. It is also, paradoxically, admired for its layers of metaphor as well as its clarity, a feature it mentions itself in sura 16:103.

More here:

Source Link

So who will be teaching these isolated students studying Arabic language and culture?

[edit on 4-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
They aren't even teaching Islam, just ARAB culture. This is the worst and most paranoid overreaction ever.

Not saying such a reaction would be warranted if they were in fact teaching Islam.

Regardless, seriously, this is absurd.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Neither do you.

yeah
thats the point and the problem....you guys are telling others what this place is not, but you don't know...

i never said it was a madrassa...just that imo, as a public school it don't need to be teaching arabic cluture cause so far, thats all we know...

how's their text books? class schedule?
whats on the menu at the cafeteria?
again, is the statement that they are only teaching arabic after hours true? what about the students that will be seperated?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

So who will be teaching these isolated students studying Arabic language and culture?

A french? well my french teacher did teach german back in the days when i was at school

a person doesnt have to be Arab to teach arab as long as they are fluent in the launguge and so on.

also we make up a larger percentage of muslims. (asians)

and to those skeptics,

communications is the best thing to learn and with the amount of trade you
do with other countries its better you know how to comunicate with them.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
They aren't even teaching Islam, just ARAB culture. This is the worst and most paranoid overreaction ever.

Not saying such a reaction would be warranted if they were in fact teaching Islam.

Regardless, seriously, this is absurd.

but its always fun watching people trying to get it on others
as (someone always says) anti semtics. this is more of the islamophobia kicking in and the fear to learn about other cultuers

this topic just proves that.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Is this the school in question? If so it seems pretty innocuous to me. Read all 3 pages. Short read really.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Teaching Arabic language and culture will have to include Islam.

so how come when we learn french,german italian we dont do a crash course in christianity and their whole history and so on

or is this just for countries with muslim populace?

[edit on 4-9-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Is this the school in question? If so it seems pretty innocuous to me. Read all 3 pages. Short read really.

read it all.
6 month old article that tells us nothing new.....

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Neither do you.

yeah
thats the point and the problem....you guys are telling others what this place is not, but you don't know...

Is that what it seems like? My bad, that wasn't my intention. All I was trying to say is that Islam does not equal Arab, or vice-versa.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join