It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York public school accused of radical Islamist agenda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

New York public school accused of radical Islamist agenda

www.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A public school in New York that will teach Arabic language and culture opened Tuesday amid accusations that it will impose a radical Islamist agenda in its classrooms.

About a dozen security guards and police officers were on patrol Tuesday when the Brooklyn school opened, mainly to shepherd the throngs of reporters covering the event.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com (Video Report)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
American Islam Goes Commercial
UK Muslims: 'Ban' Un-Islamic Schools
The truth about islam.
Over 1 Billion Muslims and Growing
New York to Open First Arab Public High School

[edit on 4-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As tensions rise in the Middle East, also does suspicions of the faith of Islam inside the United States.

A group called "Stop the Madrassa" claims that this school has a sinister agenda and demands the academy be closed.

Regardless of the claims that this school will impose a radical Islamist agenda on its students, should public dollars fund what is essentially a religious school?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
no matter what the agenda....public tax/school dollars should NOT go to fund this sort of school. can't believe it is even an issue...

should nip this mess in the bud

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Foreign-language schools exist in most major urban school-districts in the US, as do schools focused on science, technical vocational schools, etc...

As noted in the CNN article, the school isn't necessarily a school for Arabs, but for people to learn Arabic. Considering this country's defense sector is currently suffering a shortage of Arabic translators, it fulfills a genuine need.

Evidence that the school has a "radical Islamist agenda" seems pretty lacking judging by the original report. IMHO we're dealing with a bunch of vocal cranks that think anything Arab equals "terrorist"

BTW did anyone catch this in the CNN article?:

The controversy reached a fever pitch when Almontaser was quoted defending the use of the word "intifada" on a T-shirt. She said in Arabic it simply means "shaking off."

Soon after, Almontaser resigned and the city replaced her with a Jewish principal who doesn't speak Arabic.

Gotta love NYC politics

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Foreign-language schools exist in most major urban school-districts in the US, as do schools focused on science, technical vocational schools, etc...

does the etc etc include arabic culture?

A public school in New York that will teach Arabic language and culture opened Tuesday

^^^from the first line of the article. i have to get to digging on this but i don't think this should fly. i hope it don't.

the people of new york don't need to be paying for kids to learn arabic and arabic culture. thats for the home....

whats with this?
"The Arabic immigrant students will be isolated

from the article....don't know if it's true but it's an interesting little piece.

how does carmen colon, the parent of a student KNOW FOR A FACT that her kid will make 'tons of money' be it in the customer service biz if they can speak arabic....hmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Very true statement. As long as it is kept as an Arab based language class. There is no reason why it can't be the same building other languages are taught.

My youngest daughter goes to the School of International Studies, within our school district. She studies Russian, Spanish, Latin, and German. There is an Arabic study group also, along with Korean, Japanese, and 2 different Chinese languages. Everyone seems to get together just fine.

The school district my kids went / are going to may be different from other districts, but it is rated as one of the highest in the country. I see no need for a school to be based on just one group of people that has religious overtones within it's culture. This is a violation of the separation of State and Church.

What I really think is New York is kissing the a** of the Arabs trying to take the city off the target map.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hahahaha, it's ubelieveable how hostile some people in the US seem to be towards anything arabic!=)

A school that teaches arabic language and culture is, imho, exactly what the US needs! This Pamela Hall person seems terrified of the thought that this will lead to arabic culture bein assimilated into the american culture, as if that somehow will bring about the fall of your entire society. Don't you think alot of conflicts, and maybe even wars, could have been prevented if the politicans had advisors who actually understood the culture of the nation in question instead of just throwing more fuel on the "they are ignorant, backward, hostile terrorist who must be destroyed" fire?

Even if you are some sort of war mongering imperialist hell bent on destroying all arabs, you should be able to see the benefit of having more information and a better understanding of the people you want to destroy. As some have pointed out, you need translators if you wanna have any clue what these people are up to.

I'm assuming this school is not ONLY gonna teach arabic language and culture. As a public school I'd expect there to be some sort of minimal national curriculum they have to teach, right? I'm not up to date on the US educational system, but I'm pretty sure you can't open a public school teaching whatever you want.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Glad I'm not in NY, the east coast is incredibly liberal, they accommodate to the terrorist agenda even after they knock down a couple of their buildings. These liberals might as well roll out a red carpet for the terrorists.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's not a religious school.

And I can't believe that woman named her son Colon...good lord have mercy.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Glad I'm not in NY, the east coast is incredibly liberal, they accommodate to the terrorist agenda even after they knock down a couple of their buildings. These liberals might as well roll out a red carpet for the terrorists.

Are you saying that by opening a school for people to learn about the Arabic culture that they are accommodating a terrorist agenda?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Why do they even need a school to learn about Arabic 'culture'? I don't understand why they would make an institution focused on one culture; a culture that also has prominent hatred of western ideology and is clearly expressed in their society and values. We need a school that teaches civilized culture.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

You still didn't answer my question. Are you calling this a "terrorist agenda?"

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Of course this is part of the terrorist agenda. Just another milestone for them.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Of course this is part of the terrorist agenda. Just another milestone for them.

You DO know that the US has Arab allies, right?

www.nysun.com...

Are you now saying that the US' allies are also terrorist, due to the fact they are Arabic? If that is the case one could say that the US is sponsoring terrorist due to its allies.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrLeary

I'm assuming this school is not ONLY gonna teach arabic language and culture.

it don't need to be teaching arabic culture at all. a public school is not about that.
how exactly does one teach arabic culture? whats on the program?

also, the article states the arabic immigrants will be seperated...
don't don't sound like your regular public school to me.

you can learn a second language in school and not have to be immersed in the culture.

shame on the parents for sending their kids there.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

Originally posted by DrLeary

I'm assuming this school is not ONLY gonna teach arabic language and culture.

it don't need to be teaching arabic culture at all. a public school is not about that.

Why not? It may go a long way to combat the increasing Islamophobia.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

That doesn't seem applicable, there's a difference between having foreign allies and having a foreign academy established in your nation.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
[Why not? It may go a long way to combat the increasing Islamophobia.

What happened to schools teaching the basics? Public schools are turning out less than stellar "graduates". How about teaching math and science instead of indoctrination............(SP? that darn public education)

Islamophobia, the word itself is a terrorist agenda. I would think a few burning souls in the towers would consider themselves anti-Islam........

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

That doesn't seem applicable, there's a difference between having foreign allies and having a foreign academy established in your nation.

Really? Have you heard of The American University in Cairo?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So? That's their choice, the American culture doesn't promote a terrorist agenda.

And I agree with the poster up there, there simply isn't enough emphasis on math and science these days. These 'culture' schools are a waste of taxpayer money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join