It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Anyone Else Bored With The World?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It seems all the world is a cliche'. What can I buy? Is my house big enough? What are the celebs doing? What's hot? What's not? Political Scandal. Political in-fighting. Corruption. Beaurocracy. Crime. Immigration. War on Terror. Iraq. Oil Dependency. Global Warming. Poverty. The list could go on and on.

I'm just so sick of it all. These issues just smack you upside the head wherever you go, no matter how you try to avoid them or change them. But there is never any change. We just seem to be careening further and further out of control. The world and time just seem to be accelerating at a break neck speed. I really just want to slam on the brakes and get of this ride.

Does anyone know of any new movement or new philospohy of thought out there? Any new idea that is attempting to change the course of humanity for the better. Please don't reply with all of the standard religious dogma. I'm looking for something completely different and inspiring.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's not new as in "newly created", but I'd suggest Virtue Ethics.

What's a rebel to do now-a-days?

...rebel by being a Good person, and learning what it means to be 'Good'.

And I don't mean just don't do bad stuff...
Not pushing an old lady out into the street doesn't make you a good person. Not doing the wrong thing makes you neutral. DOING the RIGHT thing makes you Good.

And in today's world... 'Doing the right thing' is the most difficult task I've ever found. BUT, it's also the most rewarding (albeit, in the long run).

"BE the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Diseria

Thank you. I completely agree with you. Now... if you were to assist the old lady across the street or carry her groceries home that would bring you closer to being a good person but not necessarily all the way, right?

I hope people respond to this thread. I am so tired of the status quo.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

So long as you do it in the right way, in the right place, at the right time and with the right person... yes.

If you snatch the groceries from her and toss them in the door... no.

If you help her because you want others to see your good deed (like the guy who flicks the $50 bill before putting it in the offering plate), then no.

Do it simply because you know it's the right thing to do.

To get you started:
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Virtue Ethics

Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Virtue Ethics

Those 2 websites are excellent sources for general philosophy... great place to start.

And if you wanna start up a thread about VE, lemme know -- I'll be there.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Diseria]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
It seems all the world is a cliche'.

Of course it is, individualism isn't something that's encouraged. We're all practically raised from birth with having it drilled in our heads to pick a certain flock of sheep and blend in with it to the best of our ability.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Sorry to break it with you, but I'm afraid that's how the world always has been and always will be. There are always going to be major problems that are plaguing our civilization, but there are tons of good things out there as well. Don't you ever stop and simply think about what it is to be existing; to be seeing, smelling, feeling, hearing, and in general just taking in everything around you? Think about all of the people in the world who are handicapped and don't have the same mental or physical capabilities as you. Do everything you can with what you're lucky enough to have. That point of view helps me from time to time. Everything in the world is relative. Just think about how boring it would be if there were no problems in life. It's getting late and I'm rambling a little bit, so maybe I'll have more to say tomorrow.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Does anyone know of any new movement or new philospohy of thought out there? Any new idea that is attempting to change the course of humanity for the better. Please don't reply with all of the standard religious dogma. I'm looking for something completely different and inspiring.

I guess when I wrote this it did not occur to me how hyterically funny and ridiculous it really was. What are the chances of really finding something worthwhile on the internet, or ATS for that matter. Look at all the silly thread titles and websites. I'm not saying they're not all very interesting but they are all mostly just hype and conjecture and not very inspiring. And certainly there have been few ATS members inspired to do anything more than to type furiously on their keyboards.

I guess I was just hoping to find a philosophy, movement or something worthwhile to endorse (beyond common decency and everyday niceties) that would really move the bar a little. My mistake.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

And certainly there have been few ATS members inspired to do anything more than to type furiously on their keyboards.

I guess I was just hoping to find a philosophy, movement or something worthwhile to endorse (beyond common decency and everyday niceties) that would really move the bar a little. My mistake.

Continue to sit around, but lazy, and take advantage of everything that's been given to you. I see your location is a "suburban Hell." Would I be correct in assuming that you're a teenager living at his parents' house? What a Hell you must live in. Parents always trying to run your life...how dare they!?

But seriously, you're going to need to stop pretending that you're smarter than everybody else. That's never going to get you anywhere, and it more than likely isn't true. Get out, give yourself some hardship, and learn what it is to actually live a real life. You'll look back and realize that the only thing ridiculous about this thread was how pretentious and unappreciative you were.

Of course, if you're trapped in a "suburban Hell" because you're some yuppie that regrets wasting the better part of his years, I could be all wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Does anyone know of any new movement or new philospohy of thought out there?

I think you should move to a new place and meet new people. Can you honestly say you are bored with the world, without having experienced most of it? I suggest moving to a less industrialized country, that will either make life happier for you, or it will make you realize you really weren't bored with life to begin with.

Another good idea that brings happiness-Start a family and have some kids. Kids are a breath of fresh air, and making 'em is fun too!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

Herman...my well-meaning friend...you are really presuming way to much and you should take time to view member profiles before you start dishing out forum therapy. I am, in fact, quite blessed and happy with my life. It is the world I am disillusioned with. Please re-read my post more carefully. I am sure you mean well though. The best to you.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Herman

Herman...my well-meaning friend...you are really presuming way to much and you should take time to view member profiles before you start dishing out forum therapy. I am, in fact, quite blessed and happy with my life. It is the world I am disillusioned with. Please re-read my post more carefully. I am sure you mean well though. The best to you.

I did read your profile before I posted that. I am also by no means qualified to give out therapy. What I give is advice to people who ask for it, like you did. You asked for input, you got input, and you put us all down. In either case, whether you're a mother or a teenager (Or both?) I agree with aces in that it just sound like you need to get out more. The world is a huge place. New discoveries are made everyday. If there's one thing that the world isn't, that's boring.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

No offence, but this was the essence of my post. I did not ask for or seek advice. I was attempting to gather philosophical or political ideas from informed or active-minded people. Much like the post by "Diseria" who understood my intent.

Furthermore, my post did not say the world wasn't beautiful or interesting or worthy of exploration...what it did was imply that our society and culture seem to be caught in a very negative and narrowly-focused rut.

Thanks for your concerns though.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

No offence, but this was the essence of my post. I did not ask for or seek advice. I was attempting to gather philosophical or political ideas from informed or active-minded people. Much like the post by "Diseria" who understood my intent.

Furthermore, my post did not say the world wasn't beautiful or interesting or worthy of exploration...what it did was imply that our society and culture seem to be caught in a very negative and narrowly-focused rut.

Thanks for your concerns though.

But was my original post not what you asked for? Accepting that there is a certain way things will always be, and coping with them by being thankful for what you have seemed to fit in with your original question. I may have come on a bit strong, but don't you see how a statement like "And certainly there have been few ATS members inspired to do anything more than to type furiously on their keyboards." might be a tad offensive to someone who was trying to be helpful?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

Yes, I can see how that may be interpreted to give offence and for that I apologize, that was not my intention.

The post you referenced was meant to point out, in an ironic way, the lack of participation on this thread as well as the general lack of inspirational or change-inducing thought from my fellow ATS members - who seem only to be able to talk (type) about issues and conspiracies but not really initiate real change. Myself included. It was not directed at any individual specifically nor did I post it as a reply to anyone else.

Upon reviewing my posts, I further submit to you that I did not "put down" anyone. I did however defend myself against mis-characterizations of both myself and my post. I won't apologize for that.

In general my post was a commentary on society and a question about how to proactively change it for the better. I hope this will allow the thread to continue in that direction. Thanks and rest assured I will heed your advise to look on the bright side of things and be grateful.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem is, life is pretty cool.

It's how you look at it that counts, and it seems you have a pretty grim outlook.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

yes i know exactly what you're talking about. it makes me wonder what people thousands of years had to worry about.. probably things that actually mattered.. like how they were going to get their food for the night.. where they were going to go or what they were going to do when the storms hit.. what they were going to do about the disease that is sweeping through their village..

you know what i mean? the things we worry about these days are petty and usually don't even matter or affect us directly in our every day lives.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

I would suggest that if I am looking for a way to positively affect change in the world, my view of life is not grim. My view of the world however is, in fact, grim - because it is a reflection what I see in the world at large (see original post).

Just because my view of the world is grim does not mean that I need to change my out-look on life. It means that I feel that the world needs to change - for the better. I was hoping this thread would spark some innovative ideas to help it along but that doesn't seem to be happening. Instead, it has degraded into an analysis of my psyche by people who don't even know me.

I'll be more careful with my post next time! Thanks though for your reply.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I find the world boring and cliche, and also disgusting and deplorable and things in the world piss me off on a daily basis.

I lack motivation to advance in the world as a result. I feel like I can't make the world better. I have always had a negative outlook on life, always expecting the worst. I have crap self esteem also.

I expect the worst so I am not disillusioned or dissapointed when the result is bad.

And well, it works at keeping me from suicide, I guess.

I start school tomorrow some bull apex program or some crap whatever...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

Cheer up! A horrible childhood always inspires interesting adults! At least you have that to look forward to.

The point of my post is to declare that I think society sucks in its current form and to collect from other people philosophies, ideas or movements that are more positive and hopeful. Because I am looking and expecting to find it - I will. You will always get what you put into it.

I am by no means giving up and you should not either. From your signature I can tell that you have firm beliefs and therefore you are way ahead of your peers who tend to believe in nothing. When life gets tough just remember some smart Asian dude once said: Fall down seven times...get up eight.

Hopefully some really enlightened ATS members will join this thread and give us some interesting ideas. Keeping reading. All the best to you and good luck in school

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Bored with the world? No, but I understand what you mean. There's a site out there you might find interesting to peruse. I'm not going to link to it, because I'm not looking to "recruit" (in fact, I'm not even a member). Plug "Zaadz" into the search engine of your choice.

Personally, I'm not much of a joiner and don't spend a lot of time navel noodling, but I can see where there might be some value there, depending upon what you're looking for. I read it occasionally, but don't post there.

Just a thought.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join