It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Nightmare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Immigration Could Add 100M to U.S. by 2060

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:35 AM

Article Font Size

Written by Randy Hall, CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor

If both legal and illegal immigration continues at its current pace, the U.S. population will grow by 1.25 million per year and reach a net total of 468 million by 2060, according to a report issued Thursday by a Washington think tank.

That increase of 167 million people over the next 53 years "is equal to the combined populations of Great Britain, France and Spain," said Steven Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS), during a news conference at the National Press Club.

Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau, Camarota wrote in his report, "100 Million More: Projecting the Impact of Immigration on the U.S. Population, 2007 to 2060," that "about 1.6 million new legal and illegal immigrants settle in the country each year. About 350,000 immigrants go home, so net immigration is about 1.25 million."

Immigrants who will arrive in the future and their descendants "will account for 105 million, or 63 percent of the increase," a total that by itself "is equal to 13 New York Cities," he said.
Nightmare

Something has got to be ddone. There is no way on God's green earth that the U.S has the capacity to withstand such an invasion. Place troops on our borders NOW!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Honestly, does anyone think America should continue to allow this attempt by the world populace to destroy our nation? Yes, that is how I view it. It is an effort to destroy America economically.

I say that America should militarize its borders, TOMORROW... Not next week,not next month, not next years, NOW... This doesn't paint a very pretty picture for America.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I completely agree with you. It is phenominal to me that the government is allowing this to happen. Even the average person can see that the tide of illegal immigration has already had devastating effects on the U.S.

I'm not one to post sources or reference studies or articles but I am a keen observer of my own community. One doesn't have to look far to see the overwhelmingly negative effects of our current immigration policies (or lack there of) and our failure to secure our borders.

> Our education system is crippled by the sheer volume of illegal students who don't speak our language but are still mainstreamed into classrooms - resulting in the dumbing down of our entire system (one elementary school in my area has 63 different "first" languages spoken by their students)

>Overall wages are being suppressed by illegal workers who are willing to work for less than a decent or fair wage. (And please don't anyone reply with the weak "Americans won't do the work" argument - save it for another thread)

> The health care system is burdened with patients who can't afford preventive or first tier medical care and then overflow our emegency rooms but don't pay.

> Rates of communicable diseases are up everywhere (TB, whooping cough) because illegals can't be tracked for the most basic of vaccinations. (Please don't anyone sound off about vaccinations - save it for another thread)

> Illegal immigrants divert 100's of miilions of dollars out of our economy every year and send it back to Mexico (remittances). There is even a pizza chain out in the southwest somewhere that accepts pesos as tender and suppossedly this is legal.

> Virtually every city or small town in the U.S. has an area in which all of the businesses serve mainly the Latino community and the signs are strictly in Spanish - illegals are literally changing the landscape of the U.S.

> Many illegal immigrants disregard housing codes and are ruining neighborhoods by allowing more than the legal number of occupants to reside in houses designated as single-family dwelllings.

> Our already faltering justice system and jails are filling up with illegals who have committed violent crimes and many of those are repeat offenders (Newark NJ). None are easily tracked once they post bail - they just leave the country until the heat is off and then come back to another area.

In general, many illegal Mexican immigrants have no desire to assimilate or adapt to American culture, unlike most immigrants from other countries or previous generations of immigrants.

What is the motivation to allow this to continue? Corporate Profits? NAU? The establishment of a service class to serve elites?

I'll brace myself for the hate coming my way but try to stay on topic. And please, don't misconstrue my disillusionment with discrimination. I'm not against diversity I like Mexican food as well as the next person. Just kidding! LOL
...Seriously...I'm just for the U.S. and it's laws.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Honestly, does anyone think America should continue to allow this attempt by the world populace to destroy our nation? Yes, that is how I view it. It is an effort to destroy America economically.

I say that America should militarize its borders, TOMORROW... Not next week,not next month, not next years, NOW... This doesn't paint a very pretty picture for America.

I can't believe more ATS members don't have ideas or opinions about this topic. Are you all just going to sit in front of your computers and let this happen? How much is enough? What can we do about it? I say do not vote for any incumbents, local state or federal unless they declare their intent to protect our borders, enforce our laws and stop the tide of people screwing up the fabric of our culture and communities.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I agree that the situation is totally out of hand and there are so many reasons why something should be done about this problem. IMHO, troops should have had orders to guard the borders the afternoon of 9/11/2001. Security issues alone should be all the justification needed to do whatever it takes to stop people from sneaking into the US or deporting those who are here illegally.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I can't believe that such intelligent people as ATS members would rather discuss or debate the use of profanity on ATS rather than this important thread topic. I'm not going to let this thread die.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I agree that this is a very important topic.

I have some things to take care of today and will be away from the computer but will be watching and/or posting on this topic later. Just keep in mind that this is a holiday weekend in the US so a lot of people are probably vacationing.

Good post!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think alot of it has to do with unless we physically see this affecting our communities then we dont care because we have been brainwashed into thinking "we are a nation of immigrants", "our ancestors came for the same reasons as the illegals" and "they are just doing the jobs Americans wont do", etc etc and by then it is too late to stop the invasion.

I truly believe that we have passed the point of no return for some parts of our country.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I think you are right. The southwest for instance. There is a Latino activist group called La Raza, (which translates to "the race") that, in the past, has called for Mexico to take back California, New Mexico and Arizona.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Are you serious?! If they do anything they should be labeled terrorists and exterminated or deported whichever is easier. ( Yes i realize that is horribly ignorant but idc at the moment)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I agree that some communities are not seeing it as much as others. I just moved from South Florida to Colorado and it's a night and day difference.

I lived in Florida for about 15 years and South Florida is turning into a 3rd world country all by itself. In parts of Miami, you need to speak spanish, not english. In a lot of the restaurants and stores there, the people approach you speaking spanish and if you don't speak their language, you're outta luck... go somewhere else.

In my local Target store (just north of Miami in the Aventura/Hollywood area), all of the signs were in spanish and english and most of the store clerks spoke primarily spanish, then would speak english only if I spoke to them.

About two years ago I was living in West Palm Beach in one of the nicer apartment communities and it didn't take long before there were multiple spanish-speaking families living out of one small apartment. That's how they can afford to be paid lower wages for the jobs. I am imagining at some point in the future, we will all have to be living multiple families per household (the poor and the middle class) in order to survive the downturn of the economy.

Here in Colorado (Denver), I've run across a few spanish-speaking people, but they don't seem to be the majority.

I am very concerned about the immigration problem. I feel very strongly that it (and Walmart) will be the downfall of this country.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by annestacey]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Karl7772000

www.humanevents.com...

I am serious.

I am sorry I could not find a more neutral source by means of explanation. However the web is full of definitions for La Raza, which is evidently a many-layered organization with multiple agendas. BTW, as a correction to my post, La Raza may best be interpreted as "The People" but there is no literal translation to English.

Please make no assumptions as to my politcal leanings. Just label me American

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well it's no secret that the bulk of illegal aliens come from Mexico and like I've said before in PTS, it's outrageous the way that country seems to think America should fling open it's borders and let them all just swarm across.

As for the illegals here that are sent back across the border, Mexico seems to take it as a personal insult to receive back it's own citizens. Sorry Mr. Mexican President but you don't have authority in this country so start respecting our immigration laws and quit whining about them.

YES the borders need to be secured by any and every means necessary, even if they have to spend fifty billion to do it, it's that important.

So many illegals have flooded into this country over the years that the official White House website offers a Spanish translation link right on it's homepage and that is just pathetic.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

New Orleans is in real danger of becoming much like Miami. Post-Katrina, the majority of the rebuilding is being done by illegal immigrants who are bussed in straight from the border by contractors. They are settling in and bringing with them all of their cultural norms. New Orleans will never be the same for many reasons, some less directly related to the storm.

As for Miami, I took a business trip there and had an experience similar to what you described. Except for the airport and hotel, I did not encounter a single English-speaking person. Literally. It was exactly like being in a third world country. I was totally dependent on my business associate to function throughout the day. I vowed to learn Spanish so as not to be handicapped like that again. Still working on that.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
We shouldest have to learn a foreign language in order to go about our daily lives in OUR country.

This whole Press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish has to stop.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think the best solution for curbing immigration, would be to give amnesty to all the illegals now residing in the country. Once documented and paying income tax, they would have a verifiable income, and therefore no longer automatically eligible for the social services reputed to lure them into the country.

Of course this would only work if employers were made accountable for all the workers in their employ.

I work at a CA restaurant where all the kitchen staff is illegal and paid under the table. These guys like to taunt Americans saying among other things, that they have no intention of becoming legal when they can work under the table, while their wives stay home and collect welfare.

Do you think it's fair that these illegal women get paid to stay at home while most American mothers don't get that luxury?

And what about all the illegals driving around unlicensed and uninsured? This has contributed to a major hit and run problem here in the Bay area.

I believe amnesty for illegals would help resolve much of the resentment and exploitation on both sides. I say the sooner the better!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dollmonster

All of your points are valid. In particular I have also seen the lack of insurance by illegals as a huge issue. Another issue in my area is that illegal construction workers frequently drive with unsecured loads, occasionally causing serious accidents when the load spills out onto a road or interstate.

I just can't wrap my brain around (sh)amnesty. At least not with out some sort of financial penalty. At least that would pay for the reources they have used illegally. Also, unless they actually enforce our existing laws and secure the borders, I worry it will only reward negative bahaviors and encourage more illegals. I guess I just don't have enough info about an amnesty plan to really support it.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Actually any type of immigration can be particularly taxing on a society, but the levels in which it is happening in the US is totally unreal. I think a small stream of University educated immigrants can be a very positive thing for a country, but a steady stream of non-skilled workers is just a ticking time bomb.

Watching my city totally pitfall into poverty in the last ten years due to lack of government restraints on immigration is enough proof for me. Racial tensions have never been higher here, in part to the culture clash that happens when you force two groups, or more, to co-exist without easing it in gradually.

This has been the case dating back to Rome, and I suspect it will remain that way until caps are put in place to allow people to adjust to one another.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
For those wishing to read more about this subject, I would suggest a lengthy series of articles titled "The Next 100 Million Americans" by Frosty Woolridge.

He also did a great interview on Coast to Coast earlier this year, if anyone wants to hear it, u2u me, I have the entire show.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thanks for that information slackerwire. I just started reading the first article and my jaw is dropping! Here are a couple of paragraphs:

Today, states like Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and California don’t possess enough water for their residents. Aquifers degrade as fast as diesel engines pump them dry. No matter how many reservoirs they build, it won’t rain or snow more because they add millions of people. Water shortages and rationing will become the norm while green lawns become as extinct five cent candy bars.

At the same time, states like Colorado lost 1.65 million acres of prime farm land to development in the past 10 years. Why? They added 1.3 million people. They will add four million more by 2050. Latest reports show Colorado will lose 3.1 million more acres by 2022. How many by 2050? An additional 2.0 million more acres will be placed under concrete and asphalt via roads, malls and housing. Ask yourself: have you ever seen cows grazing on concrete or have you ever seen corn growing out of pavement? What will be the acreage losses in your state? Your losses will be commensurate to your population growth.

My God... what the hell is our government trying to accomplish??

[edit on 2-9-2007 by annestacey]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join