It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOT Delays Allowing Mexican Trucks on US Roads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

DOT Delays Allowing Mexican Trucks on US Roads

www.signonsandiego.com

The U.S. Department of Transportation has delayed plans to open the border to long-haul Mexican trucks until at least Thursday, after earlier reports that it could happen over Labor Day weekend.

In a filing yesterday in the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, government attorneys said the agency expects to get the OK from its inspector general on Wednesday that would allow it to begin the controversial cross border trucking experiment.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.etrucker.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I could be wrong but it kind of looks like the DOT may be worried just how the Ninth circuit court might rule on this because all of a sudden they have delayed allowing them.

One very important point to note is the following

In an interview, Hill said no Mexican trucks would be allowed to cross the border until U.S. trucks get the same privilege.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

which up until now was not the case and appears to be a good indicator and a clear change on Mexicos part (see second supporting link for update)

www.signonsandiego.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Nice find, shots. I'm glad somebody is challenging this. This will be interesting to watch and see what the courts decide.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
While it's nice that US truckers will be allowed into Mexico, I'm more worried about the lack of safety standards on the Mexican trucks. Watch out for increasing accident stats once this begins.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Agreed they also have to put something into place that states their vehicle must meet US standards, they also need to have CDLs with no notice drug testing. They need Tachs showing milage for the day and no drivers should be allowed to drive more hours then Americans are allowed to drive.

There are a few other concerns I have but I seem to have drawn a blank thinking just what they are now

Frankly what I really want to know is why on earth do we need them on our roads anyhow? We have Americans who are very capable of driving to and from the borders and yes even into Canada and Mexico. All this stupid condition will do is give legal Mexicans jobs at cheaper wages then US drivers which in the end means shippers will always ship via Mexican trucks lines because they will ship at cheaper rates:shk:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shots

One of the reasons given in your link was

The government said further delays to the program could jeopardize diplomatic and trade relations with Mexico.

Sounds like a half-fast reason to me.:shk:

I'm wondering, how many illegal aliens and/or terrorists can you haul with an 18 wheeler?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
One of the reasons given in your link was

The government said further delays to the program could jeopardize diplomatic and trade relations with Mexico.

Sounds like a half-fast reason to me.:shk:

More like some kind of black mail if you ask me. Just what relations are they talking about? As far as I know the only real problems with have with them are their drug runners and illegals which we all know they have done nothing about

I'm wondering, how many illegal aliens and/or terrorists can you haul with an 18 wheeler?

Single or double trailer

top topics

join