It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't people believe in dimensional travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think dimensional travel is possible. However, a lot of you don't like it because you don't like to think other versions of yous exist in other Universes. Evidentially you're just shooting down a theory because you don't believe in it. I think that it's real because that it's possible. It is possible that we come from other Universes. The Universe is a mysterious place, but that cannot be where our answers our. Our answers must be found somewhere else, I think that we have to find where we originated from. This Universe, doesn't have people on this Earth, that believe that people come from other Universes, because they don't remember things, from their past or past lives. Reincarnation may be true, if it is, therefore, I think that you existed as those people, in other Universes.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Maverickhunter]

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have serious problems with the superverse idea... I'm not well educated in quantum mechanics (I think that's the field this originates from) but the entire idea seems totally off the wall. I like to view quantum mechanics as the admission that "all things are possible" not "everything happens".

I'm not a believer in the spirit or soul, so reincarnation is impossible in my mind. Like the air we breathe, energy is continually recycled on this planet, so the only way I existed as other people is only through the sharing of energy - much the way that the air Napoleon once breathed into his lungs may one day be breathed into mine. That doesn't make me Napoleon.

I believe the origins of life have already been found. DNA is a mix of chemicals that copies itself. Life is merely a certain chemical mix that copies itself, not some religious or divine blessing.

My 2¢.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'd recommend seeing a film called De Ja Vu. One DOD agent goes back in time. He works on a detective squad, and they look at a past incident. The DOD agent realizes that they are able to change the past because they can send a piece of paper back to the past. The piece of paper sent back to the past, starts a parallel Universe, and ends theirs. In the place, it warns a guy of a killer that would destroy a boat. He tries to stop him. He gets killed. They work to see who was the killer. The machine they have that allows you to look at the past can send things back in time, but they don't know if will work for people, because it would fry their brains. The DOD agent goes in. Every clue that they saw happening happened. The DOD agent set up all of the things they saw on the machine that would allow you to view the past. So, once he realized that he could communicate to the past, he asked to use the machine so that he could go back in time. They recommended against it because his brains would get fried, but he took that chance. Once he left, the Universe ceased to exist to him, he ended in another Universe, and so he stopped a killer from blowing up a boat, and he saved a girl from his reality.

It was as if the present had already happened, but in his other reality, a new Universe got created, where the boat incident hasn't happened. But, he know longer exists in that reality, and his alternate self replaced him.

IF YOU GO TO ANOTHER UNIVERSE TO TRAVEL THROUGH TIME YOU HAVE TO GO TO A PLACE WHERE YOUR ALTERNATE SELF IS YOU, THESE ALTERNATE SELFS MAY OR MAY NOT BE YOU, THEY MAY BE AN ALIEN, OR WHATEVER.

I think it is very real, and I disagree with you.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I read somewhere concerning alternate universes that whenever you in this life experience a sudden rush of excitement or sadness that seemingly comes out of nowhere that that is the "other" you in another universe experiencing that emotion. I pondered that and now whenever I get those little unexpected emotions I think of that theory.

Whether I believe there is another me somewhere well... I'm not sure about that specifically. As vast as the universe is why make copies of the same person? I do however, believe that there are others out there and that there are many layers of universe within our realm.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Make sure to make a clear destinction between multiple dimensions and multiverses.

There are 4 perceivable dimensions, x/y/z/t and if string theory is even remotely right, at least 6 others which we can't see or contiously experience, in which energy strands vibrate.

There might be, according to both strings and quantum mechanics, be an unlimited amount of universes that are either completely different from ours, or are universes that come to existence whenever an uncertainty is decided into a direction. (not just every choice we make, but also every choice nature makes when something random happens and the outcome is decided)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is just a thought of mine. I'm not formally educated in physics or quantum mechanics. I have a working knowledge of math and understand astronomy.

I find dimensional travel much more likely than a road trip from Alpha Centauri. Again, this is just my thought process.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i think people dont believe in it because they have such a hard time grasping the idea. people dont really like to believe in something they know nothing about, and with very little actual knowledge on the subject, not many people actually know anything about this theory, including myself to be honest.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Ever heard of Shrodinger's Cat? Look it up, very interesting in terms of quantum physics/parallel universes. Here's how it works:

A cat is put in a completely isolated enviroment where its state can not at all be measured (since observation affects outcome) with some item that could either kill it or not kill it. Lets say that there's a countdown of 10 seconds. After that, the cat still isn't observed in any way. It has to be either dead or alive. At this point the cat is in a state called quantum superposition, meaning it's both alive and dead (as far as quantum physics go). The problem with that is, while the math can be done, we know that's not the case, the cat is either alive or dead but never both. To account for this, some would say that parrallel universes are created, one in which the cat lives, and one in which the cat dies.

So I do agree with you that there are alternate realites, universes, whatever you want to call them, but here's why I don't think it's possible to travel between them: there would have to be a bridge. In some way, you would have to exist in both universes at once, even it it was only during the instant where you're being transfered from one to the other. That means that (metaphorically speaking) the cat has to be both alive and dead.

Then again anything quantum is screwy, so I will say that there's a chance it's possible.

Cheers mate.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by avingard

Nah, this exists more than in just theory. People are going to be able to travel through different Universes, by assigning each Universe they see as being similar to ours, or one branching off of ours, with a number. they will make a machine that can travel to that number, eventually the machine will create a gap between this Universe and that Universe, allowing you to travel back to this one. Time will be bent, when you travel through time, so it is possible for the bending of the time, to create a dimensional flux that allows you to travel to another Universe and with enough power you can travel outside of this Universe to where that Universe exists. We can travel to other Universes, the scientists here need to perfect their theory of it.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Time has nothing to do with demensional travel (or wouldn't that is). Time is relative, why would going back in time in this universe have any effect on any other universe? As far as the number, all well and good, but not at all relevant or conclusive. Name one principle that could even hint at the possibility of interdemensional travel.

A note here: I am not at all trying to start a heated discussion. Please don't take me disagreeing or proposing alternates as a personal attack, it's not. I love debate though, so keep it coming.

p.s. At one point, Hawking believed that black holes connected to corrisponding white holes in parrallel universes. The problem with that is surviving being reduced to a singularity. He has since changed his mind about that, but that doesn't make it any less valid. (I'm pretty sure that's close to the gist of the theory, could be off a bit though)

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

One theory that could hint at the possibility of being able to travel through dimensions would be the quantum string theory with the combination of the bending time theory. Time sure is relative, but it measures distance. If you could speed up faster than the expansion of the Universe, you could perhaps travel through any matter, time would probably stop when you traveled faster than the rate of expansion of the Universe, and you could get to the other alternate Universe easily, with due time.

To go beyond the speed of light:

speed>>>mass and weight and force of the Universe
Time=distance
Speed^X+the distance where the alternate universe you want to travel to exists
where the X is the amplifier power of the speed of light, how many times you need to travel beyond the speed of light to get to it. The distance in the formula represents where the alternate reality is.

So therefore to sum it algebraically

Distance beyond the Universe, being one variable, N,
speed, being how far you have to go, beyond the rate of expansion, being X.
da, being the destination, and its version of the Universe.
da=Y^X+N/E

Eh?

I hope that makes some sense :\.
[edit on 30-8-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter

One theory that could hint at the possibility of being able to travel through dimensions would be the quantum string theory with the combination of the bending time theory. Time sure is relative, but it measures distance. If you could speed up faster than the expansion of the Universe, you could perhaps travel through any matter, time would probably stop when you traveled faster than the rate of expansion of the Universe, and you could get to the other alternate Universe easily, with due time.

Time stops (supposedly) at the speed of light, not when you're going faster than the universe is expanding (and it's impossible for you to do both at the same time, if the universe was expanding at the speed of light, time would stand still because everything in the universe would also be going faster than the speed of light). Also, when you're talking about an alternate universe, are you talking about a universe that exists as this one's 'neighbor' in the sense that if you exit this universe you'll bump into the next? (this universe is supposedly infinite, btw, but yet they say it's ever expanding, a bit contradictory huh?)

To go beyond the speed of light: You need an infinite amount of energy, just not possible. Bypasses such as wormholes are more plausible.

speed>>>mass and weight and force of the Universe

Time=distance
nope, time=distance/speed

Speed^X+the distance where the alternate universe you want to travel to exists
where the X is the amplifier power of the speed of light, how many times you need to travel beyond the speed of light to get to it. The distance in the formula represents where the alternate reality is.

you can't travel beyond the speed of light in the sense that you accelerate beyond it. As you approach the speed of light, the energy required to continue accelerating increases infinitly. I don't think you were implying that you just speed up and go several times faster than speed of light, but just in case wanted to throw that out there.

you can't say that there is a distance (in the sense of miles, km, etc.) between this universe and a possible alternate universe because you don't know what's between them. It certainly can't be space as we know it. Traveling between universis is like traveling through time ONLY in that it isn't a matter of just traveling (as in passing through space) from point a to point b.

So therefore to sum it algebraically

Distance beyond the Universe, being one variable, N,
speed, being how far you have to go, beyond the rate of expansion, being X.
da, being the destination, and its version of the Universe.
da=Y^X+N/E

Eh?

[edit on 30-8-2007 by avingard]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My best guess on why some people don't understand is because they simply haven't done it yet.

It's a very difficult experience to put into words for some level shifters.

I'm still learning how to speak of it in the proper manner myself.

*sticks around the thread to learn something*

(great post, Mavrickhunter! Good to see you again!
)

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Eh, you don't need infinite energy, you just need a wormhole to warp yourself there, and you need to calculate how fast the tunnel between the wormhole and your destination has to be to get to the place you want to go to. That being said, I read somewhere that wormholes create a tunnel between your place and another. Maybe we could create and program wormholes? Maybe we could have CERN make them?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Hey there GE... yeah people don't understand it because they haven't done it yet. So... also... what do you think is up with that?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I suppose transdimensional travel depends on it's context. I don't believe it as some sort of spiritual pathway, but rather physical. I see it as a physical part of a multi-layered universe.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Here's one way to think of it. I don't mean to be didactic - this just helps me visualize things.

Remember 'Flatland'? The creatures there live in a 2-D universe. You are in the 3rd Dimension and look down on them. They appear to be like cartoon characters in your Sunday comic section of the newspaper, perhaps.

One of them talks about 'dimensional travel' and this 'mystical place', let's call it Pu. (Up, reversed).

Now they can speculate about the land of Pu, but being flat and stuck within the the 2-D universe, they can never -go- there. (at least with our current knowledge of physics)

Same thing, virtually, with us speculating about 'dimensional travel'. We can not go past the 'barrier' that 'separates' other Dimensions, just as the Flatlanders cannot.

That's a little overly simplistic, but maybe it will give you a point of view on this subject.

Oh, btw, the 2-D flatlanders can 'experience' the third dimension.

Here's how:

You take an object, a small table or wooden chair and hold it over 'Flatland'. the Sun (which is a complete mystery to them) casts a shadow of the chair on the plane of Flatland, but since it's overlaid, no Flatlander can really know what a 'chair' looks like. It's a mysterious geometric shape to them, and the 'shape' of the shadow changes if you rotate or move the chair around it's axis, casting a sequence of different shadows.

But as you see, 'experiencing' it because of a 'shadow' is not the same as being there, or really 'knowing' what you're looking at (if you're only 2-D). Of course to us, being 3-D creatures, it's all intuitive.

Make sense?

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

join