It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Asian Families

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I live in city that is populated by a majority of asians (like 70% i think). I find that alot of my asian classmates tend to hold very conservative viewpoints, which disturbs me somewhat because just about all of them are like that. I'm thinking that this may be influenced by their parents, which being asian, they've taught their kids supposedly what's right and what's wrong.

Now, I'm not saying that ALL asians are rightist, just around where I live.

Alot of my classmates at school aren't really open to thought, and they reject whatever they don't believe in. Personally, I dislike having Bush as a president and take a strong resentment towards him, and whenever I try to explain why he isn't a great president, I get alot of heat for it and a few accusations that I'm anti-American (which I'm not) or something.

Now what about the families? I've read several stories about these chinese girls that have to be condemned by their parents to do whatever they say, and be what they want them to be, not what they want themselves. It really gets on my nerves because I hate it when parents don't listen to their kids and take them for granted. As for me, my parents aren't too conservative (at least it's not obvious), but they can be sometimes.

For example, if you read my blog, I really resent taking mandarin as a class at school. Although I wanted to take french (so I at least i know how to write characters, instead learning them one by one), my parents insisted that I take mandarin instead, because it's my "native language". They think that China is on the verge of being the most powerful country in the world (which I'm somewhat skeptical of), and I need to learn mandarin to become successful in life. Now, WTF? I'm fairly proficient in english (in an honors class if you didn't know), and I think that I can just learn english and be just as successful. From my past experiences, I've been really bad at learning chinese (failed all my years of chinese school),so why make life worse by going through it again?

It really depresses me to see me and my friends being treated like this by our parents. Just becausee they don't share the same beliefs as us doesn't mean that they have to force us to do what they want. Sometimes it can get really out of hand. I have a friend that has to pay her dad just to get picked up from school

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think your parents are right. Speaking Chinese will benefit you. China is becoming a super power our country will need more and more translators. You will become a precious resource to a manufacturing company if you can learn your native language. Being conservative isn�t a bad thing it�s a good thing. Strong morals, good economic sense is great I wish our conservative republicans would remember that. It�s like anything when it�s taken to the extreme it�s bad.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
I think your parents are right. Speaking Chinese will benefit you. China is becoming a super power our country will need more and more translators. You will become a precious resource to a manufacturing company if you can learn your native language. Being conservative isn�t a bad thing it�s a good thing. Strong morals, good economic sense is great I wish our conservative republicans would remember that. It�s like anything when it�s taken to the extreme it�s bad.

I totally agree with you last sentence. Anything that's taken too seriously will cause trouble...

What irritates me isn't taking mandarin itself, but my parents' failure to realize that even though it may be of some use to me, I have no intentions of using mandarin in my as a major asset to my future/career. I've always been bad at it, and they're just igniting my resentment towards it by forcing me to take it.

I'm alot more interested in the math/science field. I'm planning to take chemistry as an alternative to mandarin next year, my parents' BETTER agree to...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well I�ll tell you this I didn�t become successful in life until I stopped listening to my father and just did what I had to do. I will give you an example I had a very good job I quit that job to start my own company my father was furious! But I am pretty well off now because of it, and not slaving away at a 65,000 dollar a year job. But the reverse could have also happened. If you don�t take a risk you will never get the reward ever! You will fall sometimes but you will pick yourself up again even if it means starting from scratch.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
If you don�t take a risk you will never get the reward ever! You will fall sometimes but you will pick yourself up again even if it means starting from scratch.

Best advice you could ever give someone. I agree with this 100%.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I'm going to be that annoying PoS, that wont speak the common language, I will just say Yo No Mandarian, G.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
You can't really fault your parents for wanting you to have some sense of your ethnic background...but at the same time if you have no interest in Mandarian you shouldn't waste your time. Sometimes if you pick up something else from your culture that interest you it will appease them. There is more to being asian than speaking Mandarian, I assume. So, surely you can find something that interest you.

Most parents are controlling in one way or another...it's their job. You just have to find a happy medium where everyone can be satisfied...and if you can't...oh well, do you.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
They have conservative viewpoints so that disturbs you?
Why?
Alot of my classmates at school aren't really open to thought, and they reject whatever they don't believe in

You think that's being a conservative? And, have you asked them why or why they don't believe in something? Or, does it just frustrate you that have a different viewpoint other than yours?
But, it sounds like you are confusing the word 'conservative' with say, their parents being strict, old-fashion, or something like that as opposed to political 'conservatism'

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88

Alot of my classmates at school aren't really open to thought, and they reject whatever they don't believe in

actually this sounds like a lot of people on this board...

people believe what they want to believe and disregard the rest and dismiss it as being "wrong" "untruthful" etc, as it does not fit their way of thinking.

and sounds like the originator of this thread also.

sad to say but its their right as humans beings to be as open or as closed minded as they want to be. you being angry bitter pissed off upset frustrated with it wont change it, it just adds negativity to YOUR life and takes away precious time from you that you could be spending in other ways.

learn to pick your battles and let the rest go on by.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
They have conservative viewpoints so that disturbs you?
Why?

You think that's being a conservative?

Actually, it is the text book definition:

1.reluctant to accept change: in favor of preserving the status quo and traditional values and customs, and against abrupt change

2.traditionalist person: somebody who is reluctant to consider new ideas or accept change

You're right, there is something very wrong with youth being exclusively in a conservative mindset. That's whats wrong with many of the mods & posters on this board - their interepretation of the world and alternate opinion just doesn't make it through their filters, hence, it's wrong or close minded or too 'liberal' to be serious.
Don't be angry at others for their lack of insight or clarity, just be thankful for yours, Saucerat.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
then why is it the conservatives are the ones coming up with new ideas? (school vouchers, tax reform, Soc. sec., etc, etc, )

new topics

top topics

join