It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Anouncement Of Life Found On Mars...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Renshin

It's not likely, but it's possible. If so, it could take millions of years for it to regenerate itself. Here's
an article posted on MSN back in January about an alternative theory:

Rather than having had its air knocked out into space, Mars might just be holding its breath.

New findings suggests the missing atmosphere of Mars might be locked up in hidden reservoirs on the planet, rather than having been chafed away by billions of years' worth of solar winds as previously thought.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
Does it do windows?

What about C++? And if they can do C++, do you think they can do MATLAB?

This is a wonderful discovery. Hopefully this announcement does come to pass and is picked up heavily across the world. If not, hey, what else is new?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If you do a search for the author's name (Joop Houtkooper), you'll come across a bunch of articles by someone with that name in the "The Journal of Parapsychology." So he is, most likely, a full of crap nutjob.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow, barely 4 hours in the making, yet this topic already has over 50 flags? I smell a conspiracy.

I could have sworn this was covered before, but I could be mistaken. I wonder if this will make it into the mainstream media.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Anyone know yet if they are planning to or already have brought it back? Could they gain knowledge of this life without bringing it to Earth?

I know that I am kinda worried about bringing other-worldly zoology into our ecosystem. As exciting as this is, I would rather they study it on the red planet.

Could the possibility of public fear and outrage over being exposed to some possible "Mars Disease" turn into a reason to hush this up?

[edit on 23-8-2007 by cavscout]

IMHO a discovery of life on another planet, no matter how small would bring every major religion to its knees, rendering it useless, pointless and completely wrong. Which could lead to some violent outrage.. if there is life on another world and we already know about it, that is the sole reason imo to cover it up.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
havent they been saying these type of things for years now? i dont think many will be that shocked.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
If you do a search for the author's name (Joop Houtkooper), you'll come across a bunch of articles by someone with that name in the "The Journal of Parapsychology."

Very true. I Googled him myself and found what you are talking about.

So he is, most likely, a full of crap nutjob.

Whoa, hit the brakes! How did you arrive at that conclusion? Are you suggesting that all parapsychologists are nut cases by default? Not that I am for or against this Joop fellow, but why would you make such a stereotypical statement?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis
Anyone stop to thing that maybe, just maybe mars used to be a green, habitable planet until these microbes showed up and "grey goo'd" the whole planet red?

We might not want them on this planet.

That's a very, VERY good point. And many movies over the years have shown why bringing them back could be a bad idea. From movies such as The Andromeda Strain to the latest Invasion show exactly why we should be careful exploring extra-terrestrial life, whether it be studied on another planet or especially studying it here on Earth. We have no idea how the introduction of extra-terrestrial life to Earth would affect our ecosystem, and thus we should be extremely cautious if we do choose to study it.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

Originally posted by nataylor

So he is, most likely, a full of crap nutjob.

Whoa, hit the brakes! How did you arrive at that conclusion? Are you suggesting that all parapsychologists are nut cases by default? Not that I am for or against this Joop fellow, but why would you make such a stereotypical statement?
I arrived at that conclusion because based on the papers he's published, I see nothing that would qualify this man as an expert in molecular biology. Which he would need to be to make this determination. I suspect there will be no hard evidence to back up these claims.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by nataylor]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Wow, barely 4 hours in the making, yet this topic already has over 50 flags? I smell a conspiracy.

More like an overreaction to a newly BREAKING old story...

I wonder if this will make it into the mainstream media.

FOX NEWS ALERT time?

maybe hold it as BREAKING, until sweeps.....

....you know for the ratings grab,

possibly an intern at CBS, surfing ATS, will find this gem and slip it into Katie's teleprompter to help her during her struggles at the number one desk...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
disclosure moves forward slower than a crippled snail. while some of us are already communicating with ETs the rest are so hesitant and conservative they cheer at the possibility of some microorganisms found in the dirt. open up world....go way beyond disclosure...accept your place within the community of planets, solar systems, galaxies and dimensions, chill out and enjoy the variety of worlds.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Too early to jump on the bandwagon especially since it has not be vetted by more scientists. I would tend to thing that 30 year old data would have been gone over so many times that it seems unlikely they missed something.

It is exciting as we find more and more evidence that conditions for life seem to be in many spots just in our own solar system.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I know no one here will like what I'm saying but the excitement over this "news" is not justified.
You have someone digging out decades old data and re-interpreting that in not so obvious way and then blurting out....hmmm, it MIGHT happen that the peroxide points to antifreeze in Martian bacteria..

I mean its too far fetched.

It'd have been another matter if it was a case of finding something organic or anything having unusual structure etc. I have seen too many claims and announcements of discovery of life on Mars but all have disappeared like soap bubbles in air.

Having said that, there is a VERY GOOD possibility of there being life on polar regions and we'll hopefully find it in 2008.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

I didnt look that close to see if anyone else has posted this CNN link yet, but lets say this looks like a little promising. I believe there is life out there. Mars there might of been, but now its down to small creatures and bacteria which is still life.

So raw pictures seen from Nasa show Blue Skies etc so who knows really everything in our lifes is a lie!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug

Originally posted by Nemithesis
Anyone stop to thing that maybe, just maybe mars used to be a green, habitable planet until these microbes showed up and "grey goo'd" the whole planet red?

We might not want them on this planet.

That's a very, VERY good point. And many movies over the years have shown why bringing them back could be a bad idea. From movies such as The Andromeda Strain to the latest Invasion show exactly why we should be careful exploring extra-terrestrial life, whether it be studied on another planet or especially studying it here on Earth. We have no idea how the introduction of extra-terrestrial life to Earth would affect our ecosystem, and thus we should be extremely cautious if we do choose to study it.

Especially since we humans seem to not fit in so well with Earth's ecosystem. If we ourselves who have supposedly evolved from the primordial soup of Earth find it difficult to maintain a balance within the ecosystem, it's not likely that anything from somewhere else would have an easy time of it. Then again Spielberg's version of War of the Worlds held a novel and optimistic view, that Earth could be lethal to lifeforms not originating from here. Still, though, better be safe than sorry -- since we are rather sorry with Earth's environment.

The thing is, we're on top and we like being on top. If anybody's going to take us down, we want to do it and get credit for it!

Originally posted by thelibra

... it's my firm belief that one day we'll be replaced by a newer species of human that has evolved beyond this belief. Of course that might be several thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of years from now, but perhaps the next human species will be able to take a longer-term view than ourselves as a survival trait.

We might be the one's responsible for creating such a species. And in a harsh environment, more harsh than the one we currently enjoy and enjoy to destroy today, such a survival trait would be beneficial and naturally acquired, I think. Interstellar spacefaring species would predictably have acquired such a trait. Then again, many microorganism have a knack for self-replication and asexual reproduction. That's obviously a desirable trait to survive harsh environments. Though, when compared to our current mode of reproduction, it may not be that much fun!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
while some of us are already communicating with ETs

Really? I've yet to hear about this communication with ET's. I know this is a'tad off-topic but you're trying to portray the image that such a discovery isn't amazing. I find that odd. There has yet to be conclusive evidence of extraterrestrial life in any format. While most scientists (and the general populace) agrees that the chances of there being NO LIFE outside of our own is so slim and quite frankly selfish to believe in, there has yet to be evidence. The very moment we find any such information which confirms the probability then you've made one of the largest breakthroughs in an age old question "are we alone?".

If you find microbial life, you will find sentient life. It probably will be rarer than primitive life forms but the chances are still high given the size of this single universe.

Edit: I'd also like to add, I personally know there is life. That doesn't mean squat though, I have no empirical evidence to prove it. Just so you don't think I'm a "skeptic".

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Donoso]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think it's rather exciting that proof of life beyond our planet could possibly exist on a planet close enough for astronauts to visit within our lifetime.

One thing I've always wondered though...does extra terrestrial life in any form exist outside the boundaries of Christianity or religions in general? Like, would it discredit it's teachings?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If this is true, this will be one of the most momentous announcements in our lives.

Think about it.

Definitive proof of extra terrestrial life.

Found in our lifetimes.

This is almost like christians finding proof of god.

REAL extra terrestrial life. It doesn't matter if its microbial or not. Any life is proof.

This will be one of the most exciting things ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I agree with the people saying that this is not a big deal at all. Some scientist has a little theory about some 30-year old soil? That is hardly what I would call "discovering life on Mars."

It is good, however, to keep this subject in the media overall. Like some others said earlier, I also hope this gives the space program a boost.

There is probably all kinds of crazy microbial life in our Solar System, we just need to get off of our asses and go check it out. We haven't even been to the next rock over from us yet...

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is so fricking exciting... what momentous times we live in!

Question is - will this get buried under the carpet? Imagine the uproar in the Christian/Muslim etc world?

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Easy Tiger]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join