It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas executes 400th inmate as planned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Texas executes 400th inmate as planned

www.cnn.com

Texas, which leads the nation in carrying out the death penalty, has executed the 400th person since the state resumed capital punishment in 1982.

On Tuesday, the European Union urged the governor of Texas to halt all executions before the state carried out Conner's death sentence.

A spokesman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry responded in a statement "Texans long ago decided that the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
With regard to the EU urges Texas to end executions thread - it looks like the Texan State are going to be keeping the death penalty for many years to come. This 400th milestone is really just another execution, with many more ahead.

I guess the statement "the EU have no business here" is ringing true..

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Bravo......Gov Goodhair.............

Now next time the Gov gets stopped for speeding He wont need to ask "do you know who I am"........

The EU needs to keep chasing Dolphins or what ever the do best.

Oh I rem.....Breakng the Kyoto treaty....

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by astmonster

The EU needs to keep chasing Dolphins or what ever the do best.

What you really mean is covering US rear and applying a little bit of brain rather than merely using brawn

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

What you really mean is covering US rear and applying a little bit of brain rather than merely using brawn

Your statement drives home how the EU and people in other countries have a errant image of these matters. This is not a US government issue. This is a state issue. And while the EU may be (i have no clue if they are actually) trying to show the US government the proper diplomacy to be used when playing in the global playground, I don't see it doing a damned thing for the State of Texas. By and large - and more large than by the way - what the State of Texas decides to do within its borders is none of the EU's business. By and large - it's not even any of the U.S. government's business.

[edit on 8-23-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Simple and Brilliant yet again, brought tears to my eyes......Now sing with me.."Texas our Texas hm hm hm................"

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Valhall,

I know, point taken.

It was an attempt, granted a very poor one but I have been extremely busy for over 24 hours now, at a bit of light relief.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
By and large - and more large than by the way - what the State of Texas decides to do within its borders is none of the EU's business. By and large - it's not even any of the U.S. government's business.
[edit on 8-23-2007 by Valhall]

I agree entirely. Its non of the EU's business at all.

What would be even better would be if similar principles of keeping the nose out of other peoples business was applied by all nations, globally.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

What would be even better would be if similar principles of keeping the nose out of other peoples business was applied by all nations, globally.

Agreed - let's take an extremely important example to drive this point home. In the latter 1990's period, the Egyptian government arrested some men (believe it was 3 men if I remember correctly) who they charged as terrorists and they had a trial and they found them guilty and sentenced them to execution. The European nations AND the U.S. government pitched a wall-eyed fit and finally pressured the Egyptian government to back down.

This attempt, on the part of the Egyptian government, was the sole act of a mideastern country at that time to attempt to prosecute terrorists through legal means. And it was stomped down like the Egyptians were barbaric nimrods.

Oh if we had just let them take care of their own business.

top topics

join