It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Kingdom has No Free Speech!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Free speech does not exist in UK per se. The public in general are protected by a plethora of laws which restrict what can be said or written.

with so many laws in place to protect so many different groups it appears to me that the U.K has no free speech whatsoever theres always a loop hole for the authorities to exploit.

i say the U.K free speech policies are an illusion to give its citizens the appearence of free speech without actually allowing it.

Libel and slander laws protect from malicious lies and defamation of character. The Race Relations Act is meant to provide protection to all sectors of society against Racism. Similarly the average person from abusive and threatening behaviour in public by Section 5 of the Criminal Offences Acts. It would be interesting to find out if this act could be applied to the Internet which is after all a public place. It’s an area of law I doubt many site owners have investigated.

so anything they judge to be threatening behavior can instantly get snubbed .. this can be applied to any situation.

Free speech in the U.K is a joke plain and simple .. i envy our american brothers and their freedom of speech laws even tho they seem under threat lately.

So do you think the U.K should adopt a total Freedom of speech into its laws? i mean i know people can be very offensive but how can u protect people from freedom of speech?
Everyone is entitled to thier opinion isn't that the whole point of freedom of speech? no matter how others may view thier opinions.

You Canoot police peoples minds and to think it is just to do see is disgusting to me.

Its our democratic right!!!

I have heard that it is also something to do with being the subjects of the Queen (and ultimately she must approve it, this is probably an old and outdated law) but cannot find much info on this any help is appreciated.

dont think our laws are stupid sometimes??? heres a short list of laws STILL in effect in the U.K

It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.
The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

[edit on 19/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
QS - US constitutional scholars will tell you that the 1st amendment free speech clause really addresses the freedom to publicly question and show dissent toward the government. It doesn't mean that anyone can say anything they want. As you point out, liablous and defamatory statements are clear cut examples of how not all speech is protected, nor should be. Hateful speech directed at individuals or groups should not be tolerated, especially if intended to incite violence.

Knowingly making false statements that result in the destruction of property or injury to individuals likewise should not be a protected right. Don't you agree?

What you seem to be advocating is pure anarchy.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Similarly the average person from abusive and threatening behaviour in public by Section 5 of the Criminal Offences Acts

this is the one that worries me ... who decides whats abusive? anyone can say anything is abusive , protesting against any subject is abusive to the people it envolves ... THATS my problem

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

Yeah but that one gets trodden over by the sex offenders act - not being allowed to show your genitals in public (if I'm not mistaken).

Although it would be interesting to cite that law to a passing policeman whilst leaning on your car, doing your business :p

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I read somewhere that it is also lawful to kill a Welshman in the grounds of Hereford Cathedral if you use a longbow and arrow, within certain times during the day/night of course.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien life uk
I read somewhere that it is also lawful to kill a Welshman in the grounds of Hereford Cathedral if you use a longbow and arrow, within certain times during the day/night of course.

Of course it has to be at specific times otherwise that would just be silly wouldn't it? lol

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
As a Welshman I truly appreciate the warning.

New Zealand has inherited UK's laws, institutions and common law rights, therefore we have the same quandry here.

The point is though that both countries have ratified the International Covenant on Human and Political Rights. The denial of just freedoms can be appealed to the international court of Human Rights.

In NZ we created the NZ Bill of Rights in 1990 which is a mini constitutional Bill of Rights. Does the UK have a similar equivalent ?

There was a Bill of Rights Act of 1688 wasn't there ?

Surely there have been amendments to it since then ?

Remember the "McLibel" case ?
That was when two leafleters were sued for defamation by McDonalds.
The European Commission of Human Rights overturned rulings by the Privy Council.

Check out:

Steel & Morris v UK -069 ECHR [2005]

The ECHR has an online website where you might find the answer to the OP's concerns.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The fact is, it is now illegal to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ in many places in the western world. There are several pastors and laymen that have been arrested in America (I know a few personally).
www.cbn.com...
www.worldnetdaily.com...

Of course europe has been suppressing the gospel for a long time.
www.crosswalk.com...

new topics

top topics

join