It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking at IRIS, is California in trouble?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Looking at all the activity around the pacific, California appears very due.

Seems like a lot of recent activity, doesnt it?

Link

i162.photobucket.com...

[edit on 18-8-2007 by earth2]

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'm definitely not too knowledgeable about the subject. I would like to point out, though, that when you compare the activity in the last 5 years to the recent activity in all active regions, you'll notice that California's recent activity appears to be pretty well consistent with what you would expect in relation to it's past activity.

In other words, it seems that California's San Andreas Fault simply isn't nearly as active as other fault lines, such as those in Indonesia, Japan, or South America. I could, however, be completely wrong in my analysis.

On a side note, I remember watching the Discovery Channel or so about when the next "big one" hits Los Angeles. They were talking about how unprepared LA is and how there is no real evacuation plans for such an event. I believe they said that the last massive earthquake California had was in the early 1900s. It was a while ago that I saw this so I could be off, but a good warning to heed, considering how National Geographic warned about the vulnerability and potential destruction of New Orleans less than a year before Katrina.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm not too sure whether they are due at the moment, though it might be.

The other thing to remember though is that The rest of the ring of fire is a subduction zone, whereas the San Andreas fault is transverse.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The other day we had a 3.3 which struck sometime around midnight here in the San Francisco bay area. The thing with this last one was the floor didn't move but it was more like a shift...it was kinda weird. Our neighbors dog barked as soon as it struck too.

I go to this site to view the smaller quakes:
Composite ANSS list of earthquakes for the past 14 days

[edit on 19-8-2007 by DearWife]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I don't like ^^^ link, it shows like 60% californian quakes... Ill take 10,000 small ones before i have to go through one like the one i did in '94 that was like a 7.4.

Yea, kinda, i see what you mean, every other 'major' fault has had a big earth quake in the last few days, so... its media hype, California is safe... right.

Mabye since 90% of California is city there is too much wieght for the earth to move? Aslos good for the fat people of America, we solved it, calling nations everywhere, EAT!

[edit on 8/19/2007 by TKainZero]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Guys on the west coast, take this seriously, especially in the next few weeks. Do what you need to do to protect you and your family; from earthquakes or any other potential danger.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
The other thing to remember though is that The rest of the ring of fire is a subduction zone, whereas the San Andreas fault is transverse.

Thats true, but if its moving on one side it eventialy has to give on the other.
Just taking a logical guess it looks like cali is next because of all the activity everywhere except cali.

new topics

top topics

join