It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the stab-proof school uniform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

the stab-proof school uniform

news.bbc.co.uk

Parents concerned about knife crime are getting "stab-proof" school uniforms for their children.

A company is offering to modify blazers and jumpers by lining them with knife-resistant Kevlar.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
you truly have to wonder at the state of the world when a company is offering stab-proof school uniforms.

soon they will be making stab-proof baby clothes....news.bbc.co.uk... or assault-proof hospital gowns...news.bbc.co.uk...

don't you find yourself shaking your head more and more at the stories in the news these days?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
130 pounds for "peace of mind" so the children can go to school in safety?

I have my doubts as to the effectiveness, and how long til this "protection" is in the hands of those who would commit "stabbing offenses".

How long until this "protection for the innocent", becomes armor for the perps?

Disturbing news but not surprising these days...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

you truly have to wonder at the state of the world when a company is offering stab-proof school uniforms.

soon they will be making stab-proof baby clothes....news.bbc.co.uk... or assault-proof hospital gowns...news.bbc.co.uk...

don't you find yourself shaking your head more and more at the stories in the news these days?

news.bbc.co.uk
Yes justyc it does just get more demoralizing doesnt it?It must be very inspiring to a child when mom presents them with their new stab-proof suit at the begining of the school year.Hey!!When do you expect the new bullet-proof wear is expected?Good grief what has civilization become?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It also bothers me that the company thinks there is a market for this. I guess time will tell if enough other people out there think there is. And all things out there can be used to protect the innocent or to help the criminals do there crimes. That is the same for fire arms to stun guns, to drugs or anything else you can think of.

CX

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There was a report a couple of years ago about kids wearing body armour to school in London, i'll try and find the link.

CX.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
A reflection on society.
How sad that society has reached this point.
Fashion outlets can now swell their profits and takings by promoting a 'safe and chic' fashion item and prey on the paranoia of the general public.
I suppose if it saves serious injury or death it's a welcome addition in the wardrobe.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This actually increases stabbing victims chances of death, as now thier face will be the target instead of a usually non fatal body stab. Good for them, capitalism at its finest.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
This actually increases stabbing victims chances of death, as now thier face will be the target instead of a usually non fatal body stab. Good for them, capitalism at its finest.

Exactly what I was thinking...
"Nice suit, now what are you gunna do now that I got the knife to your throat?"

In the mind of a criminal, this suit might just taunt them, like the bullet proof vest of a cop.

The concept of 'stab proof' doesn't make much sense to me.. how thick is this fabric? heavy? more importantly HOT. Stab proof or not, I am against school uniforms because I have always tried to at least be a bit different then my peers.
... Untill I went to a school full of hippies and metal heads, I fit right in!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i dont understand why instead of spending money on trying to get rid of the knives and guns in school they spend it on bulletproof books, and stab proof uniforms. if they put metal detectors in all the schools or if parents woould just pay attention to there kids a little more this kinda stuff wouldnt be happening.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dylant93
i dont understand why instead of spending money on trying to get rid of the knives and guns in school they spend it on bulletproof books, and stab proof uniforms. if they put metal detectors in all the schools or if parents woould just pay attention to there kids a little more this kinda stuff wouldnt be happening.

yes, yes it would. Do you not understand how people think? Take away all the knives and guns you want, the methods will just change. Instead of a knife, they will use pencils or sports equipment like a basseball bat, take all that away and people will be beat or stoned to death. There is no such thing as being "safe". Just wait till kids start poisoning each other...how will you stop that?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV

Good point. Anyway why would you still send them to that school if you think they might get stabbed? Oh, better not go on a journey, you might crash your car, your train might derail, your aircraft fall from the sky. If you're really unlucky a piano might fall on your head, or a rogue asteroid hit you.

Better not get old, you might get cancer.

In fact, AFAIK life has a 100% mortality rate

(What you don't like me making fun of death? sorry)

[edit on 15-8-2007 by apex]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
IMO, as a parent, if you can afford to buy your child a kevlar uniform, you can afford to move and send your child to a safer school.

If, as a parent, you choose to allow your children to attend a learning facility in which they cannot concentrate on learning due to a threat of violence so severe that they have to utilize these uniforms, then you are contributing to the problem.

*sigh* sad.....so sad.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This really leads us back into the age old debate about the risk of becoming a victim of crime and the perception of that risk doesn't it?

I don't have the data to support this contention and I'm far too old to know what the school environment is like first hand but I would suggest that the number of kids who are actually the victim of a knife attack whilst wearing school uniform is pretty damned small in the UK. What is quite certain is that it is much smaller than the number who might perceive or be perceived to be at risk of such an attack.

To be honest it's a bit like those strange cycle helmets that everyone is supposed to wear these days. They're a jolly good idea, of course they are, but when I was a kid they didn't exist and I have no recollection of a large proportion of my friends suffering serious head injuries or just disappearing from school having been the victim of a fatal collision with the pavement so are they actually that valuable or do they simply pander to the overbearing desire of parents to wrap their little darlings up in cotton wool at every opportunity?

And who is the bad guy here, the rough kid with the knife who you'll probably never bump into anyway or the clothing manufacturer making a buck by preying on the insecurity and fear of the parent?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
i thought that the stab-proof uniforms were bad enough but there is a story today about the new sat-nav school uniforms.

parents can then log into a special website to track the gps movements of their children.

of course, all it will take is for a few uniforms to be stolen and that will be the excuse to just implant the kids themselves

story

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Dear God preserve us what the hell next? I have a bizarre image of worried parents watching a real time plot of their kids' movements on a monitor all day like some glorified version of Pac-Man.

Seriously, if that had been available to Mrs tt she would have had to get herself plumbed in at the computer; and what kind of kids do we think we'd be breeding and raising using these sorts of devices? Teenagers who would have a crisis as soon as they go out of tracking range.

This is just exploiting the the fears of vulnerable people for profit. Utterly disgraceful in my opinion

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i believe the only solution is to begin a forced change of the media our children are bombarded with and marketed to every day of their lives from birth to adolescence. cartoons with mice smashing cats with hammers or planks of wood, to fighting monsters and shooting with no consequence.

yea yea freedom of this and freedom of that, but our children are killing each other. but we cannot infringe on corproate rights to corrupt for profit.... but our children are killing each other.... but we cannot infringe on corproate rights to corrupt for profit, but our children are killing each other!!!!!!

So, is anyone going to finally decide our children is more important than the corporate rights to corrupt for profit? anyone? anyone at all??? no did not think so, how dare we infringe on the rights of the The Enemies of Free Speech

top topics

join