It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right and Wrong in Christianity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
1. God tells Adam and Eve "don't eat from the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil"

2. They eat of it, and are thus thrust out for now having knowledge of good and evil.

3. Sacrifice becomes the reflexive Obsessive Compulsive Act, to appease God for all evil that has been done.

4. Christ becomes the lamb of God, the ultimate sacrifice, and the sacrifical curtain is cut. All sins are forgiven, forever.

5. Paul states in Romans 14:14 that there is no thing that is inherently good or evil, only to he who thinks it so. He then goes on to exhort us to walk in the spirit, instead of under the law.

So why are Christians today so Puritanical? Got me, but it seems sooooo opposed to the Christian message.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The problem with arguing "contradictions" or flaws in Christian theology is that you will always get the same evidence presented. Someone will likely respond with an explanation, citing the same contradictory Bible as a source. Else, they will cite someone else who cited the bible, a long time ago.

This could turn into a moral issue. How do you argue about morals? Everyone has their concept of good and evil, which they invariably base on their growing experiences. There will be no proof except the typical goading, "We know this is true; therefore, it is."

But I am likely wrong. Apologies that I don't have anything more useful to contribute, at the moment
I learned to stop arguing about the church a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This isn't about contradictions in the bible at all.

This is about how the Churches seem to have completely ignored the obvious. Christianity today is the same as Judaism was 2007 years ago, owned by politics and prone to judge.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
In which case, forgive my misunderstanding.
Still, I can't help but think that someone will come with their bible-barrels blazing.

To all: the above sentence is not meant to be offensive at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
No worries, but I bet you're right. Anyone who is insecure needs to have some sort of "right" way of doing something so they can sleep at night. And when others try to say "there is no exact right way", then that freaks them out.

But I find it hilarious, that in Eden, the only right way was to not have knowledge of Good or Evil.

Seems pretty simple to me. Basically "Don't worry, be happy" But humans have such a hard time doing that, hence the fall from grace ;-)

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I only find it mind-boggling that the tree of good and evil was in (the center of?) the garden in the first place.

For laughs, imagine a really rich philanthropist (whose source of wealth is a well-kept secret). One day, he gets bored and takes in a very grateful beggar, ensuring that the beggar knew the extent of (the philanthropist's) wealth.

After a sumptuous meal, the beggar is taken to a room full of gadgets: every gizmo and doohickey you could ever want. The beggar is told, "You can use anything in here -- except that conspicuous, gold-plated alien communication device, sitting there on that chrome pedestal in the center of the room. In fact, you should completely forget that I told you about that mysterious, eye-catching device, as it has something to do with my secret source of wealth. As long as you come to me -- or call on my butler -- you'll have everything you need."

With a friendly pat on the shoulder, the philanthropist leaves the stunned beggar to his own devices -- no pun intended.

That's Eden.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
.....or you just got done making a sandwich you set it on the table in front of the couch yo go back to the kitchen to find you dog eating the sandwich...only one problem one day down the road that sandwich that was eaten by your dog isnt gonna bring your best friend back from the dead......you see man falling from eden plays a part in a bigger story regardless on if you see it now it will make sense to you one day....

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
How is this related to the original post?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   

you see man falling from eden plays a part in a bigger story regardless on if you see it now it will make sense to you one day....

It appears thestatue is implying that:

a. The garden of Eden was a true story.
b. Its implications will be clear to me (or all readers?) at an ambiguous point in the future.

However, I don't understand the analogy used as it relates to the poster's point.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
it was saying that you were questioning th events that happened i explain how they could just happen and why......yes the garden really does exist and the story is history

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Simple question, simple answer:
(bet it's gonna be a long post again...
)

If you 'walk in the spirit', you will obviously love Christ. If you love Christ you will follow his commandments (If you love me you will follow my commandments" I think jesus said that in John.)

What are 'his' commandments?
"Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and thy neighbour as thyself"
If you stay in the new testament I think it was also Jesus who says these 2 commands sum up "the law and the prophets".
So, if you walk in the spirit, you are filled with God's pure love.
If you are filled with God's pure love, you won't murder, you won't steal or hurt anyone, you will look after your body (body is the temple of the Holy Ghost) etc. etc.
Now here's the problem:
What is easier?
What is measurable?
To have the spirit of love in you
or
to rigidly follow a fixed set of rules?

Most people either don't understand it or, more or less, deliberately take the shortcut.

The shortcut?
Look at me: I don't steal, I don't commit murder, I give loads of money to the poor, I do this, I do that, so I must be filled with God's spirit!

And then you suddenly end up 2000-odd years back, back in Jewish times where Jesus condemns very holy and righteous people, for not getting the point.
(I'm referring of course to the Pharisee's etc.)

So, very short answer: because it's easier.

Hope that answers your question.

Sammy

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Yeah ... People tend to think of it as Right and Wrong but in reality I think that god is actually trying to save us heart ache. Think about this .. back in the day when people had no sewers system and so forth one of god's laws was not to eat Swine or Bottom dwelling fish such as Catfish. As they were feeding off of fecies. As well as many other examples that I am sure you are all aware of.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
Yeah ... People tend to think of it as Right and Wrong but in reality I think that god is actually trying to save us heart ache. Think about this .. back in the day when people had no sewers system and so forth one of god's laws was not to eat Swine or Bottom dwelling fish such as Catfish. As they were feeding off of fecies. As well as many other examples that I am sure you are all aware of.

See, why do we even need the concept of a God, when we could be subconsciously trying to save ourselves from heartache.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue
.....or you just got done making a sandwich you set it on the table in front of the couch yo go back to the kitchen to find you dog eating the sandwich...only one problem one day down the road that sandwich that was eaten by your dog isnt gonna bring your best friend back from the dead......you see man falling from eden plays a part in a bigger story regardless on if you see it now it will make sense to you one day....

That's right.

God bless you friend,
Connie

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon

Hey there Brandon. Nice post. Good sig-line.

God bless,
Connie (Texas)

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
In The Name of the Father ... and of the Son .....

So what was that right and wrong thing again ? Link to news article.

Priest kills secret son to save career
Sentenced ...
August 10, 2007 - 8:13AM

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemini Candles
In The Name of the Father ... and of the Son .....

So what was that right and wrong thing again ? Link to news article.

Priest kills secret son to save career
Sentenced ...
August 10, 2007 - 8:13AM

www.smh.com.au...

Yep, see if the Priest wasn't so concerned with right and wrong, losing his career wouldn't have been that big a deal, and therefore he wouldn't have killed his son.

This is why piety is probably the worse thing for humanity.

Personally, I could care less what others think. Ever since I adopted that philosophy my life has turned around immensley. I just stopped worrying if what I was doing was right or wrong. I'm happier now than ever. Thats the true meaning of forgiveness.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

So why are Christians today so Puritanical? Got me, but it seems sooooo opposed to the Christian message.

Because we live in a fallen world. To cite the maybe inexplicable, but hardly contradictory Bible, I would place us near, very near, the end of Revelation Chapter 13.

I see this question as a seed of promise, seed of bondage issue. In Genesis, right after the fall, God places enmity between "your seed and her seed," between the progeny of the serpent and Eve. The rift is present again between Ishmael and Isaac, the sons of Abraham.

The Pharisees represented the seed of bondage during the time of Christ. Bondage to sin and death under the letter of the law. Christ represents the seed of promise. The spirit of the law is life. All sins are forgiven through Him.

Many modern Christians, living in a fallen world, have fallen captive to the seed of bondage, bondage to sin and death under the letter of the law. It is much easier to seek to condemn others than to seek to sanctify one's self.

I hope that helps answer your question.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

Many modern Christians, living in a fallen world, have fallen captive to the seed of bondage, bondage to sin and death under the letter of the law. It is much easier to seek to condemn others than to seek to sanctify one's self.

I hope that helps answer your question.

I believe you have hit the proverbial nail directly on the head.

Thanks for the contribution!

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
My pleasure.

I would like to add that I don't think it is possible to sanctify one's self by or while condemning others. The two are mutually exclusive.

As Christians, I believe we are called to come alongside others, believers and non-believers alike, in gentle admonition, and leave the intra-personal work of conviction and repentance to the Holy Spirit, at the time and choosing of God, the Creator.

John 6

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join