It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucy Fossil leaves Ethiopia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Lucy Fossil leaves Ethiopia.

www.usatoday.com

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — After 3.2 million years in East Africa, one of the world's most famous set of fossils was quietly flown out of Ethiopia overnight for a U.S. tour that some experts say is a dangerous gamble with an irreplaceable relic.

The Smithsonian Institution has objected to the six-year tour because museum experts do not believe the fragile remains should travel. Even in Ethiopia, the public has seen the real Lucy fossil only twice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.newsvine.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
3.3 Million Year Old Human Ancestor Fossil Found

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the Fossil was flown out under such secrecy, not to mention the fact that they are going to be putting the true fossil on display, when, as the article mentions, it is normally kept in controlled conditions where it belongs. Does anyone feel that they may be doing this for reasons other than just to display it to the public?, or am i just paranoid?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-8-2007 by D.E.M.]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think you are just being paranoid, but time will tell who was right, paranoia may be the best option in some cases...

Lets hope that everything goes well and Lucy returns home as good as she left it.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm not surprised they flew it out in secrecy, or that they are moving it out of the country.

If I am remembering correctly it was'nt to long ago that the Ethiopian church wanted
anything to do with Evolution to be locked away or destroyed and had a big fuss when
the Ethiopian Natural History museum was going to open an exhibition about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
with a delicate fossil like that....would your really think that
the actual fossil will be touring the county??

i'd bet a dead on replica will be bouncing around the tour stops,

i'd also bet that the scientific community pulled stings all over the place to have the bones spirited out of the looming trouble spot before the militants
or Islamic Courts or whatever coup minded group starts the conflicts there in Ethiopia (right beside the millions of refugees & the horn-of-africa war zone)

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Indeed. That was exactly what i was thinking, was that given the volatile nature of everywhere over there right now, they are trying to get it somewhere a little safer. My concern is it mysteriously "dissapearing" while over here, too.

new topics

top topics

join