It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia plans new nuclear missile production

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Russia plans new nuclear missile production

www.breitbart.com

The Russian Navy announced Sunday it will produce a series of intercontinental missiles for its next generation of nuclear submarines. In addition to the Bulava-M missile tests, Russia announced at the end of May that they successfully tested the RS-24, a new interncontinential missile with multiple warheads adopted by Topol-M, which was presented up to now as the first response to the American anti-missile shield project.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Great more nuclear weapons in the world.

As the article states Russia has been a strong critic of the latest anti-missle defense shield and the recent updates of the U.S nuclear arsinnal.
I hate to sound paranoid but I like to keep my eye on information that comes out of Russia. Especially about there military and such.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The Russinan bear was only sleeping. We'll be hearing more and more from them.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It won't change the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine, which has prevented nuclear war and will prevent it until the end of time.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
The Russinan bear was only sleeping. We'll be hearing more and more from them.

I 100% agree with that statement. Russia may be economically challenged, but I seriously doubt they lost the ideology and the will to fight. The country that decides to back them in the corner is going to have quite a bit to chew on

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
It won't change the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine, which has prevented nuclear war and will prevent it until the end of time.

If we already have enough nukes to wipe our species off the face of the earth why must we keep building more? Thanks for the post ubercanist

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This was to be expected.

The Russians cannot afford to appear weak in the face of the American missile shield. If they did nothing then their strategic nuclear arsenal would be seen by it's people to be useless. The defence benefit from maintaining nuclear weapons is merely psychological given the realistic stalemate of MAD.

The same goes for the American's missile shield. It will never, ever stop a nuclear barrage from Iranians let alone the Russians. But it will make Americans feel safer knowing that the shield is there. That is the main goal of nuclear weapons defence/offence, the perception of security.

So the US tries to neuter missiles in Western Europe, a highly provocative act, and the Russians counter with increasing development of better nuclear weapons. And the spiral of insecurity doesn't miss a beat.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Sounds like another "cold war". Except no one has officially declared it yet.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There should be no credit given to the term "Mutually assured destruction" anymore. Back during the cold war the US was back engineering alien technology to create a rocket with an engine so fast it would level Russia with nukes before they ever saw anything coming. Within a matter of seconds from launch, Russia would be destroyed.
I think its a safe bet that by now the US has such an engine, so Russia can build all the nukes they want, because they would never get the chance to use them.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
urgh!

Take away their nuclear technology and give them sticks and stones. Because they are not responsible with the technology.

Russia of all nations... OMG.

Rather than build more, perhaps they need to be responsible and clean up the bloody mess sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean or for that matter, the corroding ships dumped at various ports throughout Russia

Big thumbs down!

If only I had a hammer!

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
urgh!

Take away their nuclear technology and give them sticks and stones. Because they are not responsible with the technology.

Russia of all nations... OMG.

I hope that was sarcasm, because Russia has never nuked anyone...

Sounds like another "cold war". Except no one has officially declared it yet.

That's what I was thinking. I bet the USA are already developing counter-measures for Russias new arsenal. And obviously Russia can never look weak they so they have to keep spending to try to keep on top of USA technology.

I'd bet that the USA are a few weapons generations ahead of Russia though and they are just laughing at Russia's attempts to keep up.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Megadeth
There should be no credit given to the term "Mutually assured destruction" anymore. Back during the cold war the US was back engineering alien technology to create a rocket with an engine so fast it would level Russia with nukes before they ever saw anything coming. ver get the chance to use them.

Got some links or proof of that lol... back to reality.

Its not about missile any more its about defense from those missiles, or beating the defense for them, that the real thing to watch out for.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
I hope that was sarcasm, because Russia has never nuked anyone...

I don't care if they haven't 'nuked' anyone. Russia has a very long list of nuclear dramas

The Russian Northern Fleet Nuclear submarine accidents

By some estimates there are at least 50 nuclear weapons on the seafloor; [20] certainly there are at least 32 in the Atlantic from when a Russian submarine, the K-219, sank in the Atlantic Ocean. [21]

Oceans in the Nuclear Age

Russia Nuclear Issues

With the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union, however, the Northern Fleet faces a number of problems related to its aging fleet, the naval nuclear fuel cycle, decommissioning and dismantlement demands, radioactive waste and contamination, and the Russian military's severe economic problems.

As a result of the Soviet, over-militarized past, there are now a large number of nuclear submarines waiting to be decommissioned but with few plans, little funding, and only aging facilities available to tackle the problem.

Russia needs to clean up the mess before doing anything

That is called being responsible

edit to add this article, dated 07/06/07:

Andreyeva Bay is a ticking bomb

This one is good too:

Time to Avert a Catastrophe

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

I think it's very possible that in the future, there will be a possibility of one nuking the other.

All it would take is the wrong person in power with the wrong thoughts, at the right time.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I highly doubt we'll be seeing intentional nuking. The very moment any power in the world acquired nukes, we were lucky somebody else did at the same time. Without that variable there would have been a completely different world today forced into fear by that one nation who would be the sole owners of the bomb. Without the equilibrium the world would be far worse off.

It's only another step to keep the balance between powers which is very much needed on this planet at this time. While I do believe a Cold War will be up again but won't ever be announced so, it will NOT end up in the nuking of any nation.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso
While I do believe a Cold War will be up again but won't ever be announced so, it will NOT end up in the nuking of any nation.

I'm curious HOW it will end up then according to you.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
There is something that I have been trying to point out to people for a long time now, which everyone seems to disregard.

Hitting an evading missile is easier than you think it is. Russia claims it is invincible because it can evade in space. So what happens? You send up two. Probably SM-3s fired from the navy (which I might add have hit every missile they have ever been tested on, including seperating ICBMs and other BMs). The first KW misses while the missile makes a quick maneuver, but I highly doubt that it can evade fast enough to avoid the second one a half second behind it, that has just made a quick course correction.

While it wouldnt stop a barrage from Russia, it can certainly take any and all attempts at an Iranian attack, and probably the brunt of one from China.

But as far as the politics are concerned, there are many reasons why this move is not justified at all. One of them being that the radar is pointed in completely the wrong direction to intercept Russian missiles, a fact that some Russian generals have acknowladged.

IMHO, this is just being used as an excuse to develop more missiles.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horusnow
I'm curious HOW it will end up then according to you.

The same way the last Cold War did.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
I don't care if they haven't 'nuked' anyone. Russia has a very long list of nuclear dramas...

Bah!..
All that's capitalistic western propaganda!
Russia just as 'responsible'/'careless' as any other nuclear power.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I thought the missile defense system did have failures in 2000-2002 but was a software glitch that was fixed.I think it was hitting 100% after that was fixed. Maybe I'm wrong but yes the Russians still have a substantial arsenal of nukes but you have to maintain those nukes sitting in those silos.The last time I checked the Russians did not have alot of money to be maintaining those missiles.If you don't maintain them then they become pretty useless.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by CaptGizmo]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join