It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Agents Searching People at Indianapolis Bus Stops: Air Marshals Patting Civilians Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Federal Agents Searching People at Indianapolis Bus Stops: Air Marshals Patting Civilians Down

www.dailykos.com

by BlueDotRedField
Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 10:25:34 PM PDT

Welcome to another creeping slide towards the big brother state. On August 2, 2007 over two dozen agents of the TSA setup two checkpoints at bus stops in Indianapolis Indiana and searched passengers who wanted to ride on city buses. Federal agents, including Air Marshals were present and patted people down, looked in bags, and performed "behavior" tests for the stated purpose of finding weapons and people who were a threat to public...
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.indystar.com
bluedotredfield.dailykos.com

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Now I realize that this is not mainstream media, I hope we can get some confirmation from some members who live in Indianapolis or close by to comment. I my self think, yea I could believe it but is it true. Is it another step closer to a police state. Is this needed to fight George Bush's war. Is it needed to get people to comply and to get used to the phrase show me your papers.

www.dailykos.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
My daughter and her family live in northern Indiana, and I called her about this. She said it happens, but"it's no big deal" to her. I will get more details on why she feels this way when we can talk more (she was at work).

So it seems that it is becoming normal and accepted.

I personally find the idea invasive, and one more step towards the police state.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
But citizen, it's for your own safety ! There are terrorist in them there hills I tell ya.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Personally I find this sickening. Everywhere you look our civil rights are being stripped away little by little. I mean you can't even board a public buss in Indiana w/o being searched? How long before this become common practice in the rest of the country?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736I personally find the idea invasive, and one more step towards the police state.

I got news for you...that is a police state. I'll allow them to do the airport security thing...a pat-down for booze at a stadium event...even the impaired driving spot checks, but this seriously takes the cake. And if you don't bitch long and hard, it will become the 'new normal'.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
People are accepting of this because they feel they have to be. If they refuse the search, suspicion is cast. They will not be allowed to ride the bus, thus, have to walk to their destination. I doubt there is but a handful of individuals that would refuse to consent and walk their way to work.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

They will not be allowed to ride the bus, thus, have to walk to their destination.

this has to be illegal and a violation off the fourth amendment. the buses are public services and this is "extortion" of your rights. you dont get searched your not let onto a PUBLIC bus??? with no probable cause??? unconstitutional!

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Fourth Amendment, US Constitution

some may try to debunk these facts by stating there is a search know as a terry frisk. but dont be fooled, a terry frisk must STILL PROVIDE PROBABLE CAUSE.

To conduct a frisk, the policeman must be able to point to specific and articulable facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant his actions.[13] A vague hunch will not do.

wiki: fourth amendment

apc

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

TSA checks IndyGo bus passengers
TSA said the searches were “by-permission,” meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat.

Already routine it would be a simple matter of making the inspection mandatory, however that would be the clear and definitive line.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I see this as a "test" to determine how many people complain about it. Getting a "feel" for how accepting people are of giving up their rights.

If too many people complain about it, then they'll have to drop back and slam us with another terrorist attack. Maybe that'll scare us into submission!

It will continue to happen more and more until finally, no one is complaining and everyone is being herded like good little sheep.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hey, I live and work in Indy. As a matter of fact, I work downtown and saw this going on at a bus stop across from my office building. I had no idea what was going on until I read it in the paper (indystar link above).

It didn't seem to be a big deal to the passengers, but I agree, an invasion of privacy and a scary precedent to set.

Makes me think of those black & white WWII movies and cold war flicks with the thickly accented guard- "Show me your papers!"

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Hey, I live and work in Indy. As a matter of fact, I work downtown and saw this going on at a bus stop across from my office building.

Have you thought about going for a bus ride, say just to the next stop, as a test? I would, and I would refuse the "permission" part just to see what they would do.

And I would try to be near the head of the line, so that my refusing might make others do the same. Part of this event might be for them to see how many people refuse, so they can judge how hard it would be to do on a wide scale.

Be sure and tell us their reaction if you do test them.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

If I do, I'll sure report their reaction.

If.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
been happening, especially in transit. In los angeles, they've been doing it for a while, they stop busses and bring dogs on and go peron by person. When they do their training excercises it's kicked to us like you can paricipate if you chose, but I know better. BY the way, in union station they had an excercise where they were to locate a detenation device of some sort only IT WENT MISSING, and the "drill" became real. Safe hands we're in...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by NGC2736

If I do, I'll sure report their reaction.

If.

I'm not trying to talk you into something risky. The reason I said I would do it if I were near that sort of thing is that if they are planning on doing it full time and nationwide, I would be facing the same decision someday anyway.

I mean, it would be safer to buck the system now than after it gets to be a habit for them. What's next? Checkpoints where they frisk everybody in your car? Stopping you on your way to get on the elevator to frisk you and search your briefcase? Searching randomly everyone using the subways?

Think of all the public places they could search people at, from the local malls to parades to a political rally. So if this takes hold, sooner or later you're going to face it.

top topics

join