It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Participants Needed! First ATS Debate Tournament for 2007

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Ok I would like to koin this debate

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Point of order?

Are the Judges conferring via a chat discussion, or are they U2Uing? Or are they they independently evaluating without discussion?

'Cuz I'd love to be a fly on the wall at "the debate about the debates".

Will us debaters get to know about their reasoning?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The latest news:

Judges are making their decisions independently, although after the fact I sure am hearing a lot about what they think. Edit to add: comments from the judges will be included with the decisions. (end edit)

Hardships have forced Hikix to withdraw from the debate. Because that debate is so far underway, he will not be replaced but instead his opponent, Secret Titan, will advance by default.

Hats off to Esday71 and NYK537. I'm still awaiting the decision of the 7th and deciding judge on that one (extra judges were called in). They've made it very hard on our judges. They put up a fight worthy of the finals and frankly I wish there was a way to avoid eliminating either of them.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Hardships have forced Hikix to withdraw from the debate. Because that debate is so far underway, he will not be replaced but instead his opponent, Secret Titan, will advance by default.

Sorry to hear this, I was looking forward to see how the debate would have turned out. But I guess a win's a win.

Hikix, I hope everything goes ok. If you need to chat, send me a message.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Hats off to Esday71 and NYK537. I'm still awaiting the decision of the 7th and deciding judge on that one (extra judges were called in). They've made it very hard on our judges. They put up a fight worthy of the finals and frankly I wish there was a way to avoid eliminating either of them.
[edit on 12-8-2007 by The Vagabond]

Hey me too!

I'm glad we managed to put on such a great debate. That's a good sign for me to pursue more debates around here, I had an absolute blast doing this.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I must admit, it's a LOT harder to debate an issue that one doesn't agree with than it is to debate something which we agree strongly with. It's one challenge that seems to be quite difficult for me.

One thing's for sure though, I'm sure loving it!!! Here's to a great effort on all who participate, whether you agree with your side or not!

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
One great advantage of debating from the other position that I've noticed is that, first, you're very prepared to address the arguments the opposing viewpoint may throw your way and, if you research it well, you may find out you were wrong.

I've actually found it easier to debate from the opposing viewpoint since I put together my own argument and try to refute it in my research before the debate even begins. When I'm trying to debate my own side, I may not know where the opposing viewpoint may take the argument.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Simulacra and The Borg have both notified me of the need for brief extensions. They will both be posting at their earliest opportunity.

I now have decisions on 5 of the 8 debates (including Secret Titan's advancement by default).

I have every reason to believe that I will be able to announce all results within 2 days of the conclusion of the remaining debates.

This first round has been a great success and very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing how things build up in the coming rounds.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Must one be a member of ATS for a certain amount of time before being able to participate in this?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
TheBorg has made his post. He is now ready for his opponent's closer...

Semper, ooohhhh seeeeemmpppperrrrr!!!!????

Hehe.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
Must one be a member of ATS for a certain amount of time before being able to participate in this?

Forgive me, The Vagabond, for being presumptuous but, slackerwire, the only rules of eligibility are that yer a member and you follow the rules of the debate.

And that you don't throw a tizzy if somebody calls ya "youngblood".

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Tuning Spork is absolutely right and his helpful nature is appreciated.

Speaking of young bloods, I'm putting together the ranking ladder. I won't post the new version until the results of this round are in, because the extra points will make you guys feel a lot better.

Here's a sneak peak at the top 4 (including ties) before this tournament.

1. Memoryshock 9
1. Kenshiro2012 9
2. Rdube02 8
3. Zenlover28 6
3. Grimreaper797 6
3. Bigdanprice 6
4. ConfderacyofUnity 4

Each round you make it to is worth 2 points. Winning the final is worth 2 points. At the end of this tournament, those of you who make it to the 3rd round and beyond will be dominating the top of this list, but you'll have great debaters of tournaments past barring your way to the very top. Let me tell you, those number 1 and 2 ranked fighters are no slouches, and they just may want proof that you're as good as your new rankings will suggest.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I'll debate in the next event. I"ll take any subject or position that is open.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

TheBorg has made his post. He is now ready for his opponent's closer...

Semper, ooohhhh seeeeemmpppperrrrr!!!!????

Oh my friend you are slightly premature.... I have just posted my 3rd reply.... It is now time for YOUR closure.....

Which I eagerly await.....

Come on TheBorg, give it to me!!!!! I can handle it...

Semper

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I like that eagerness Xtrozero. I'm looking forward to seeing you get your chance.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The suspense of it all is killing me !

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
The suspense of it all is killing me !

I think its killing us all.

Has any topics been figured out yet for the next round or two?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I thought I already told you that evilbat.... oh, darnit.
I really should keep a list of people I've used the neuralizer on. It would make life so much easier.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I was under the impression they were still being thought of,
must have missed that one ::smacks self::

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I was messing with you.
The topics are so secret that even I'm not sure exactly what they are yet (which is odd, since I'm basically responsible for getting them together), but I have discussed some outstanding ideas with one of the skilled and experienced debaters on our staff (and I might add that he really went to bat for all of you who didn't like your topics, and I think you will be very pleased with the better balance of the next round's topics).

So short answer- I have to sort through a list now and pick the best of the ideas that have been discussed, and then i'll announce them right along with the results of this round.

I do however know what the championship round's topic will be, and I can tell you that two of you fine people will have an opportunity to really set an example for how ATS ought to handle a topic which often causes difficulty around here.

Oh, and if any of you want to ask me for anything- this is probably the time to do it, because I just got an email from somebody I think about often and hear from rarely, and I'm in a very good mood. Yeah, I know, I should save it for BTS.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join