It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Participants Needed! First ATS Debate Tournament for 2007

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am stupid and neglected to have Hikix given fighter status when he entered the tournament. My appologies for the delay. I'm doing everything I can to get that debate going. I'm sorry for the delay.

Edit to add:

Hikix now has his fighter status. He has until this time tomorrow to make his post.

I have also obtained fighter status for Truth_Within, and he will be prepared to take over for Ignorant_Ape if that member does not inform me that he is able to continue before tomorrow morning.

The two stalled debates will both be in motion again by tomorrow.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My post is coming along, but it will be pushing the envelope for 24 hours. Never fear. i'll have it up before i get disqualified.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If you would like an extra couple of hours that will not be a problem D.E.M.

Anyone here who needs a short extension only needs to U2U me and tell me how much they need (within reason) and that's fine.

It is far better to have the debate take a little longer than to have it won by default.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There, pfew, got it up long before i expected to. Its not that i have time constraints (working at a museum is a slack-ass job >D) its that it took me 18 hours to think up how to respond!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm glad to see all the debates are moving now. Just a day and a half into it and we already have some of these 2 rounds in! I'm loving the enthusiasm for these debates.

Some of these are REALLY interesting so far. I love the tough competition!

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I msut say that I am having a great time. It is harder to defend something that you may take for granted or are not that involved in becasue the research is so deep. However, that is what leads to knowledge, and that is the most important weapon you can have, next to a Mossberg pump.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Ignorant_Ape? You out there, buddy?

Anyone?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
I msut say that I am having a great time. It is harder to defend something that you may take for granted or are not that involved in becasue the research is so deep. However, that is what leads to knowledge, and that is the most important weapon you can have, next to a Mossberg pump.

Very true. I'm having a blast with this as well. It is definitely harder to defend something you don't necessarily believe in though. I'm having to dig pretty deep to defend my side now!

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Kudos to you guys who've gotten tough positions and decided to just dig in and throw everything you've got at it. That's what you've gotta do sometimes, and it does get noticed.

Debating can at times require an incredible amount of research, and its usually easy to pick the scholars out from the people who think they can just "work it out in their head".

Unfortunatley ignorant ape never responded to my U2U so, although I REALLY hate losing people, I had to disqualify him. Truth Within has taken his place and that debate will be in progress very shortly now.

We've had fewer dropouts than normal this year and that makes me extremely happy. You are gentlemen (and ladies?) of your word. (and that's no insult to those who had to drop out- a few incidents beyond the control of the members are inevitable).

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
haha,

I missed the ball on this one. I do love discussing things, and at times playing, though despise the term, 'devil's advocate'. I do it to friends and family all the time, but they get mad instead of discuss

I would be a bit nervous anyway, since, I have never participated in a 'real' debate. My spelling and grammar skills are not up to scholarly standards, and I do find at times defending something I don't believe, to be a hard job to do if I am passionate about the side I would be arguing against ... but, I guess that is one thing that really exercises your mind!

Research is definitely required for a full-on debate. Most discussions with people in person, and in threads, can be quite thorough with just the knowledge acquired in your life and some quick referencing ... that is if you love to absorb information and form your own opinions anyway.

I am glad to see the debates, and I thank you Vagabond for starting them. It is nice to see intellectual banter that doesn't become a flame war now and then
A big
to you!

I am going to read through your past debates ... I didn't even notice the section until you posted and got it going. Looks like there will be some interesting reads from the past

Kudos to you all for taking the high road and exercising your brains!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Just don't read the ones that I'm ashamed of too closely. I made big mistakes in my debates with thelibra and zenlover

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
One example was a debate about "That we learn from nature.".
The best argument the ''Agree" side could come with was (summarized) "We exploit nature and we use it."

They got totally washed away by those who were put on ''against''.

That's not completely true. A good debator can successfully defend any position. Last round of debates, there was a debate over whether the religion of Islam is inherently evil. Clearly, anyone who knows the true nature of Islam knows that it isn't. The person set in the position to argue that any religion is evil is doomed to lose.

Well that person didn't lose. You'd be amazed how easily the mind of a reader can be morphed to accept any position whatsoever, regardless of their previous position. That is both the power, and the danger, of the written word.

A true fighter can harness that power and successfully defend any position.

P.S. - I've noticed several true fighters within the group this year. Dig in, keep your gloves up - but when you have the opportunity, don't hesitate to cock your glove back low - and deliver a deadly uppercut. Never underestimate your ability...

-Ry

[edit on 10-8-2007 by rdube02]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Vagabond, you motivated me to keep going... I'm back in the game thanks to you!

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Glad to hear that Galm.

And Rdube02 speaks the truth, as I suspect we all might learn well next time we see him in a tournament.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
All of the debates are moving and we seem to have reached a point where no further disqualifications will be necessary- getting through with only two is the best we've done since 2004.

It is still possible to forfeit a single reply by being late without advanced notice though, and this happened once yesterday. As the weekend approaches and some of you may have things you intend to accomplish or obligations to attend to, please remember that it is your right to recieve up to 24 hours extension for good cause, and all you have to do is ask by U2U or here in the thread.

I have recieved notice from one individual already that he may be late because of a long work shift this weekend, and that's fine. Everyone else should also feel welcome to use this if need be.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good to know.

Depending on whether or not Esdad71 gets his final post up before I leave work today, I may end up needing a small extension to get my closing statement up. We'll see though, I may not.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Just don't read the ones that I'm ashamed of too closely. I made big mistakes in my debates with thelibra and zenlover

In that case, kind moderator sir, may we scrutinise and dissect them to remind you of bad times?

Sorry, I'm in a childish, let's anooy people mood. Therefore, I will allow myself no further posts today....well, maybe on BTS...on second thoughts...

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I actually have entertained the idea of a workshop thread where fighters could compare notes on how they make the magic happen, and yeah, I suppose dissecting eachothers tactics would be fair game, within T&C, if we did that.

And no problem if you need it NYK.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Round 1 is finally over!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Round One finished for me as well.

Good luck Esdad71!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join