Participants Needed! First ATS Debate Tournament for 2007

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I would like to sign up but must know when this is, because i have to work 44 hours a week and wouldnt want to be penalized for working....

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
sign me up

i need someting to focus on

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Sounds Interesting.
I wouldn't mind a shot.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Egad. Up to 6,800 words within a 24-hr response period? That's seems like an awful lot of cramming research and coherent writing into each entry.

Aw, what the heck. I'll give it a go! Should be... fun...?

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Ok ok, you talked me into it. You can let my arm go now. LOL!!

In other words, I'm in!!

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm in....

Work has been really busy lately, but I can cram it all in I am sure...

Semper

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
SIGN ME UP!!! please... SIGN ME UP!

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'd love to be a part of this. This is a great chance to set the bar on how debates should be waged on ATS.

Cheers and may the best mind "win" !

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I would love to take part. I've never been able to catch one of the debates before it began. This should be fun though.

My brain needs a good workout.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Three spots remain open and will almost certainly be gone by the end of the day. If we get all of our participants today, the debate threads will be posted late tonight, but will be locked at first. They would then be unlocked in the early morning and the 24 hour window for opening posts would commence.

Each participant is entitled to a limited number of short grace periods for good cause, so I don't want anybody to stress themselves out or disregard such things as work or sleep.

I usually spend 2 or 3 hours working on each post when I debate, but a normal person can do it in 1. That means that you only have to do 1 hour of work in a whole day, and then you get a break which might be as long as 24 hours while your opponent is posting.

I was slightly off on the length of debates earlier, and I was also significantly misunderstood by at least one person. Each post is relatively short. It isn't 6,800 words in 24 hours.
The first 4 posts for each debater are 800 words maximum. The 5th post is 500 words. That is a total of 3,700 words per person, spread out over the course of several days.

Participants so far:

1. Absente
2. Secret Titan
3. D.E.M
4. Justin Oldham
5. Ejoies05
6. Ignorant_Ape
7. EvilBat
8. Tuning Spork
9. TheBorg
10. semperfortis
11. galm1
12. discomfit
13. nyk537

We are not in need of any more judges, so if you are interested in participating, join the debate instead of asking to be a judge.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in action.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I was also significantly misunderstood by at least one person. Each post is relatively short. It isn't 6,800 words in 24 hours.
The first 4 posts for each debater are 800 words maximum. The 5th post is 500 words. That is a total of 3,700 words per person, spread out over the course of several days.

Phew!! Gotchya!

So, we should all keep our eye on the debate forum? We wont be U2U'd when our turn has arrived, I gather?

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would love to take a shot!!!! I hope I am not too late.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Esdad71 is in. There are two spots left.

I strongly recommend adding the Debate Forum to your favorites so that the most recent threads will display in your MyATS. Once you have posted your first post in a topic, you will automatically subscribe to the thread, so MyATS will show you when your opponent has posted.

I will U2U everyone as quickly as possible when it is their first turn to post, HOWEVER the instructions in the thread will tell you who posts first. If it is your turn to post and the thread is unlocked, you are allowed to post immediately.
Any time you see that your opponent has taken their turn, you may immediately respond without waiting to be told.

About posting late
If you need extra time: for example, if your opponent posts at 5pm, and you don't see it until the next morning at 7am, and then you have to work 9-5, which makes you unable to post in time.

You should U2U me and let me know how much time you need. Less than 6 hours extra is strongly prefered. No more than 12 hours will be allowed without very good cause.

If you have sent a U2U letting me know that you will be late, and you sent that U2U BEFORE you were late, you may go ahead and post late without waiting to hear back from me, unless you are asked not to.

If you are late and have not sent a U2U in advance, send me a U2U first, and wait for a reply before posting.

If your opponent is late, they have not forfeited their turn until myself or another moderator has said so in that debate thread so please do not just go when your opponent is late.

I'm being very detailed about what will happen if there are late posts, but I still emphasize that we desire to keep late posting to a bare minimum.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Looking at some of the people who have entered this tournament, I am someone glad, in a cowardly way, that I'm too busy to take part.
Also, I dunno why, but the thought of Justin Oldham flexing his 'big guns' at me terrifies me.

Good luck guys, I'm looking forward to the trash talkin'

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
There are two places left for debaters. I know there's somebody else out there who wants to earn his "fighter" status.

Speaking of which, I just realized that I'll have to get status changes for a lot of you before you can post in the forum, so there may or may not be a very short delay, depending on how fast we get our last two participants.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just in time.... Count me in Vagabond. Ive always fancied the challenge.

This should be really good!

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Don Wahn is in.

I have also just realized that Parry Noid expressed interest. I need confirmation that you can handle the schedule Parry.

That means we have either 1 or 0 spaces left, depending.

Backup debaters will be accepted to take the place of anyone who drops out early in the first round, so if you still want in, say so now.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I think it's about time that some old school ATSer gets back in there and reclaims the title for the days of Aussie Bloke and Prophet Yahweh.

Count me in.

A few years ago I believe I got snubbed, but I'm willing to fill your head with enough information and rhetoric to get a win.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by more_serotonin_pls
Also, I dunno why, but the thought of Justin Oldham flexing his 'big guns' at me terrifies me.

I'm interested to see how Justin does when he has to debate in favor of a position that he doesn't believe in. Might make for some cool schizophrenic gibberish.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just projecting.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Simulacra is in. We have a full roster.

Additional entries are still being accepted to fill in if people drop out early. That will be first come, first serve.

And as for getting positions you don't agree with, I believe it was Aristotle (in one of my fellow mod's signiture) who said, "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it".

You guys will do fine. The nice thing about having to defend something you don't agree with is that you know all of its weaknesses in advance, and you have time to search for ways to overcome that.

I had a real doosey of a devil's advocate debate in the second round of the last tournament- had to argue that India wasn't growing into a super power. Well I already knew that India was growing like a bad weed and that I was never going to win the argument that way, so I made a technical argument based on the specific meaning of the term super-power. It caught everyone off guard.

If I'd actually believed in my position, my arguments would have been pretty ho-hum, not nearly as surprising or entertaining.

In so many words: use it to your advantage.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join