It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Participants Needed! First ATS Debate Tournament for 2007

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It is my pleasure, and one that I regret has been such a long time coming, to announce that the ATS Debate Forum is coming back to life with new debate tournament.

Unlike those in some past debate tournaments, the topics for this tournament will be heavy-laden with tin-foil. In each round, participants will be given a position to defend in relation to a conspiracy theory related topic, potentially drawn from any forum on ATS.

Skeptics and Believers alike will be challenged to demonstrate their knowledge of conspiracy topics, their gifts for research, logic, and persuasion.

We are looking for 16 participants to duke it out for the education and amusement of the audience, and of course for mad applause, and a debate champion pennant like that which is currently in my mini-profile, but, at the end of the tournament, will be gone from mine and in the possession of another.

We are looking for at least 16 participants for these debates and for a minimum of 6 judges.

Debate participants must be prepared to post regularly- repeated failures to post within the 24 hour response window will result in forfeiture and will spoil the fun for others. This obligation will be on and off, due to breaks while judging is awaited, for about 1 month.

Judges must be willing to read debates which can be as long as 6,800 words long (7 single spaced wordprocessor pages in 12 font), and carefully consider them to determine a winner. Judges will have ample time to do this.

If you wish to debate, please indicate so in this thead.

If you wish to judge, please contact me via U2U and maintain confidentiality regarding your status as a judge.

Participation in either way can be very enjoyable and carries with it a great deal of appreciation from the staff and members- some of that appreciation will no doubt be expressed in stars and applause.

So without further ado, this thread is opened for debate entries, questions, comments, suggestions, and trash talking (within T&C).

PS, rumor has it that I am both very loud mouthed and deadly in debate, so I will be rewarding good natured trash talk if it is creative and makes me laugh.

PPS, I think you're all very very lucky that my position prevents me from entering this tournament. Am I right?

Then freakin' show me!

[edit on 4-8-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
this should be interesting i cant debate too well but hit me up when you decide to have a ATS fresstyle battle

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Vagabond,

this is some kind of invitation i can't miss
I would like to take part in this tournament.

Just a question - can we pick our "sides" on the topics? How is that going to be? When is it going to start?

Greetings,

George

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by absente
Just a question - can we pick our "sides" on the topics?

The sides of each debate are randomly selected.

Originally posted by The Vagabond
In each round, participants will be given a position to defend in relation to a conspiracy theory related topic, potentially drawn from any forum on ATS.

It's been some time since we had an ATS Debate Tournament. Vagabond being our defending champion, I am sure we have the right man for the job here. Excited to see who participates and how the individual debates unfold.

Good luck to all those involved.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by chissler]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
To be honest, I'd love to debate. It's been a long time since I could sink my teeth into a good, proper debate. Even better if it's on something I find interesting rather than whether the European Union is acting Ultra Vires. God, it's giving me goosebumps and chills just remembering some of the horrible debates I've taken part in.

One of the true joys of being a teacher is a long summer hol in which I can offer myself to take part in such interesting events.

Bring it on people.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by more_serotonin_pls]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
The sides of each debate are randomly selected.

Well, then I hope i have not to defend Israel or the US in any debate
When does it start? As soon as we got 16 participating members ?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So we have our first two participants. Outstanding!

Chissler is correct that traditionally topics and positions have been assigned at random and not subject to negotiation, and there are no current plans to change this.

That being said, there is no insurmountable barrier to giving the people what they want, so such topics are at least fair game for discussion in this thread.

That being said, my grandfather, who was an expert in fairness by virtue of having 7 kids, was quite fond of saying that what is fair is what is the same for everyone. Therefore if we are going to make major changes to the rules, I will insist that the changes be made only in response to overwhelming popular support, be made before the tournament commences, remain in effect throughout the tournament, and equally affect everyone.

In the case of choosing sides, this would require all participants to be able to mutually agree on positions in all rounds of debate, which would be virtually impossible. Such a change would require a well thought out system signed off on by everyone who participates. Discuss away, but please don't set your heart on it.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Is there any way of perhaps setting up a poll so you truly can 'give the people what they want' in terms of topics - be them current or 'classic'?

Ain't it all about the interactivity these days? Lol

Oh yeah, one more thing, if you don't mind. Are Johnny and Dave going to be covering this on ATSMIX? It'll give people a real incentive to debate their asses off...

Peace.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Our intent is to keep these debates conspiracy related and not political. You will however still find yourself at an advantage if you are able to treat the subjects academically and play devils advocate when necessary.

How do you think I felt when I had to read Mein Kampf to win my 3rd round debate in the last tournament? (For the love of god don't find out. Even if the subject matter were not repulsive, its ranty and full of tangents... while reading it, you will feel a sense of kinship with schizophrenic drug addicts.)

Debates should begin Monday the 6th at the very earliest, and hopefully not later than Monday the 13th, depending on how fast we get our participants and judges.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
serotonin, I claim neither the ability to anticipate nor to control Dave Rabbit and Johnny Annonymous... i'm confident that more powerful men have failed already. But I can certainly invite them to comment if they like.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Ever since i've been a member at ATS, i've always wanted to enter the debate tournament but everytime I have either been too late to enter or not had the time! Unfortunately I will be moving house later this month and can't guarantee my entry as i'm not sure about the 24 hour reply period.

Is there anything I can do to help matters? If not I look forward to reading the debates and the best of luck to everyone that enters!

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Keep tabs on this thread Knights. You never know when an unforseen circumstance may present you with an opening.

Also, although I'm not ready to spill the beans yet, if there is sufficient interest, I have a plan to make this forum more regularly active and competitive, as well as open up a lot more in the way of bragging rights for our best... keep your eyes open at the end of the tournament.

Also be sure to look in on Chissler's h2h forum. A good many debates are held there outside of tournaments on political subjects.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Perhaps I could give it a try, as long as I don't go against any experienced debaters at first. Besides, what's the worst that could happen?
Just keep me posted.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Is there a limitation based on how recently you have joined ATS officially?

I would be rather interested, even though i would probobly get annihilated by some of the great minds i have seen at work on here. *bows*

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Is there a limitation based on how recently you have joined ATS officially?

I would be rather interested, even though i would probobly get annihilated by some of the great minds i have seen at work on here. *bows*

No experience necessary! I am fairly new too, and would be honored to debate against you. Just don't beat me too bad, I may hold a grudge.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
New members are welcome to participate.

So far we have 3 participants

1. Absente
2. Secret Titan
3. D.E.M

(serotonin is no longer a sure thing, so that spot is being considered open for the time being).

So far no past participants are showing up... this one could end up being anybody's win. Don't be late, jump in now people.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've just recieved word by U2U that one of our Conspiracy Masters, Justin Oldham, will most likely be joining the fray. That makes 4 contestants out of 16 now.

I know we've got some more big guns out there and if past is prologue, plenty of new tallent that would like to show 'em a thing or two. Hurry, hurry, step right up folks. Front row tickets to the mother of all battles. Not the same tired political debates either, a hand picked list of popular and controversial conspiracy theories will be tested between our best and boldest skeptics and believers alike. Be the one who makes the judges send down their verdict people. These issues will be ruled on whether or not you are here to make them get it right.

/ old-timey ticket salesman routine.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I'd like to be in it too.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ejoies05 has now spoken for the 5th spot out of 16. It is beginning to look like our list may be half full by the end of the day friends. Jump in and get yours.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Sign me up, boss. I think it would be fun to give my big guns a workout.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join