It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create 12-Headed Jellyfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Scientists Create 12-Headed Jellyfish

news.yahoo.com

The genetic experiments could shed light on how natural colonies of other multi-headed organisms first originated, including some that build coral reefs.

Researchers targeted so-called Cnox genes, which help control how the bodies of jellyfish are laid out as their embryos develop. These genes are closely related to Hox genes, which play a similar role in humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
They say that by manipulating certain genes, they can create certain qualities that are not naturally occuring. By making small changes during development, they have created a jelly fish with 12 heads. Reading this article I could only help but wonder what they are trying to imply here by saying that these genes play similar roles in humans.

Thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Very interesting, and scary at the same time.
Some pros might be that perhaps they will be able to make regeneration of lost limbs in humans a reality. Or make the body completely immune to disease without the use of the many vaccinations that babies now receive. Or a real nice one might be if they could add a couple more strategically placed breasts on women - every mans dream!

Some cons would be to create "stepfords" - where the thought processes are completely pre-programmed. Or where life expectancy is preprogrammed. Even worse, to create a multi headed version of my wife. She yells at me enough with just one!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder if the stories of centaurs, minotaurs, etc., are just stories, or if they actually have truth in them.

Scientists have created at least three hybrids that I know of: a goat/spider mix, and a human/mouse hybrid (10% human brain), and a pig/human hybrid (human blood, pig body).

Makes you wonder what is going to happen when some "evil scientist" decides to start crossing whole halves, such as 1/2 human and 1/2 horse.

I believe that it is a University in England that has a class called something like "Criminal Investigations in the Post-Human World", in which they speak about interviewing techniques, evidence gathering, etc., in which the prime suspect would be 1/2 human and 1/2 something else.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Very interesting, and scary at the same time.
Some pros might be that perhaps they will be able to make regeneration of lost limbs in humans a reality. Or make the body completely immune to disease without the use of the many vaccinations that babies now receive.

I agree, there could be many pros to this type of experiment. It feels kind of creepy though, and this type of technology always seems to be a double edge sword. I'm curious to hear some feedback from the religious folks, because these experiments, to me anyway, seem like they interfere with the natural "plan" of things in nature in a way, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Im not relgious, but i really do feel what they are doing here is wrong. Not just a bad wrong, but a wrong that makes me feel very fearful.. and not much makes me feel that way.

I don't think the public realise just how amazing and powerful DNA really is... messing with DNA, IMHO, is no different from messing with the fabric of reality itself..

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
uhm...how do they even know which part is the head?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting and scary at the same time.

I guarantee that there is some rogue scientist out there that is about to work the same kind of evil genius magic with some human genes.

Does this mean that the girl from Total Recall could be an actual possibility?

Science and technology are great, just so long as they dont gravitate towards lombozos Wifezilla creation

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkheartrising
uhm...how do they even know which part is the head?

I'm not too sure on that myself, but here's a pic of it, it might help.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Seriously, whats next?

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

...The five-assed monkey!?

Jon

top topics

join