It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo Inmate Pleads for U.S. to Keep Him in Custody

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Gitmo Inmate Pleads for U.S. to Keep Him in Custody

www.foxnews.com

An inmate of Guantanamo Bay who spends 22 hours each day in an isolation cell is fighting for the right to stay in the notorious internment camp.

Ahmed Belbacha fears that he will be tortured or killed if the United States goes ahead with plans to return him to his native Algeria.

The London Times reported that Belbacha, who lived in Britain for three years, has filed an emergency motion at the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C., asking for his transfer out of Guantanamo to be halted
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Apparently Gitmo aint so bad after all, three squares a day, a comfortable bed to lay on, no one to talk to though, except for yourself, but it beats the alternative for this guy.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
send him. we need more friends from other countries we are the number 1 hated country of all time

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I wonder if he'd be saying the same things a few years ago, before the government
could'nt get away with anything at Guantanamo bay.

I hope that there he gets an enlightened judge who staves off his being sent to Algeria.

Sending someone to a country you know they'll be killed in is just as bad as
committing that murder them self.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Sending someone to a country you know they'll be killed in is just as bad as
committing that murder them self.

Where would you like for them to send him?? if that is where he is from then what choice does the government have??

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
Where would you like for them to send him?? if that is where he is from then what choice does the government have??

Well seeing they are letting him go I can only assume he is innocent. So how about sending him back to England.
Just an idea.

Belbacha went first to France and then to Britain, where he applied for asylum. He was given exceptional leave to remain pending the outcome of his application.

He lived in Bournemouth, Dorset, and worked as a cleaner at the Highcliff Hotel, where he cleaned John Prescott’s room during the 1999 Labour Party conference. The former Deputy Prime Minister left him a thank-you note and a $60 tip.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
does anyone notice the source for this.... Do you really take this seriously at all when its reported on Fox? The credibility of Fox news is only slightly above that of the Weekly World News.

That being said, this story is probably crap. Fox is just trying to make it look like Guantanamo isnt a hell-hole. Its also ironic that he is afraid of being "tortured and killed" being that Guantanamo is notorious for doing just that.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Actually this is not an isolated case a number of the detainees do not want to return to thier home countries.

Guantanamo cell is better than freedom, says inmate fighting against release

The Perils of Return

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well when you eat steak all the time going back to hamburger just doesnt seem the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve22
does anyone notice the source for this.... Do you really take this seriously at all when its reported on Fox? The credibility of Fox news is only slightly above that of the Weekly World News.

Had you paid attention to the source article you would find out FOX did not orignate the story. They used The times (presumably that is the London Times) I am not sure, yet it throws out your ah its from FOX so it is made up theory

For the others who have pointed out this is not a first I say
well done

Now put him on a fast boat to end his misery.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by shots]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Heck yeah he's begging to stay at Gitmo!!! Little do they know, they are being treated much better and much more humanely than in any of the countries the guys are from.

Iran just publicly hanged 9 people this week. They publicly stoned someone to death last month. In some of these countries they cut your hand off if you're caught stealing.

Damn right he wants to stay at Gitmo.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
When you receive free healthcare, three square meals a day, and have everything else provided for you...

That doesn't sound like the Godless Americans does it?

Michael Moore's movie 'Sicko' (don't tell me he's liberal scum, its irrelevant) takes Americans who have poor healthcare down to Cuba to see if they can get help.

Well they try to get into Guantanamo, but can't. However, Moore has been there and interviewed the soldiers taking care of 'terrorists.'

They seemed happy...A few were playing soccer in a good size holding pen.

I mean they are still locked in cages, but it seems infinitely better than our fellow citizens in jail.

Just to think. We treat our enemies like kings and our civilians as peons. Sickening.

Sicko Fact Checker

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This probably is just propganda. They can transmit anything they want into a persons head, day after day, night after night. Sooner or later he will accept his circumstances. How can you trust anything coming from this sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
he should be working on a petition for asylum while he's still captive.

I imagine he will still have a say so about just where he's released to,
just because he was born in Algeria,
is not the definitive reason to repatriate him there...

If he was snagged in the Afghanistan militant groups (AQ or Taliban)
captures & then housed at Gitmo...at the very least he should be transported to a neutral country & then given release.

seeing as how releasing him to where he was caught would be helping
the enemies we are still fighting in Afghanistan 6 years later

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
I imagine he will still have a say so about just where he's released to,
just because he was born in Algeria,
is not the definitive reason to repatriate him there...

why should he have a say so? he left algeria in 1999 via France to Britian where he applied for political asylum yet he left before it was approved so it is his own fault the is where he is.

If he was snagged in the Afghanistan militant groups (AQ or Taliban)
captures & then housed at Gitmo...at the very least he should be transported to a neutral country & then given release.

No he was not snagged as you put it, he alleges he was sold to the Americans for a bounty according to him. Yet he claimed on his own he left Britain for Pakistan while his appeal was pending...which makes no sense at all. It appears to me that he is being less then truthful.

As for sending him back to his home country see above.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

why should he have a say so?

for the reason that the Americans that captured him,
out of courtesy ...
will ask him for a destination for him to go to... but If that release place
dosen't fit well with approved locations- -> his 'request' will be denied...
that's the definition of his 'Say-So'

No he was not snagged as you put it, he alleges he was sold to the Americans for a bounty according to him.

So he was not caught up in the dragnet of hostile forces captured in Afghan?...& he's not a British counterpart of the 'American Taliban' guy?

& your suggesting the man is a capture by 'bounty hunters' ?
please tell us why/how/the reasoning for housing him with the captured
"enemy combatants" parked in Gitmo, Cuba...who were all captured by U.S. troops??
there's way too many twists & turns in this saga

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
& your suggesting the man is a capture by 'bounty hunters' ?
please tell us why/how/the reasoning for housing him with the captured
"enemy combatants" parked in Gitmo, Cuba...who were all captured by U.S. troops??
there's way too many twists & turns in this saga

No I did not suggest it at all that is what was his claim according to the original source article of the Fox story I simply pointed out what his claim was.

When the US-led invasion began in response to the September 11 attacks he crossed back into Pakistan. He claims that in December 2001 he was apprehended by villagers near Peshawar, in northwest Pakistan, and sold to the authorities for a bounty.
Source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now as for their reasoning I would assume that since he was sold to them for bounty if in fact that claim is true they thought he was a member of the taliban and might have had information they could use meaning US forces for intel purposes.

Like you I also stated something does not seem right here and I think he was less then honest frankly. I find it very odd that after sitting in the UK for almost or approx two years with an appeal in the works to remain in the UK he would just take off like a lark and fly to pakistan.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Im sure this guy will be issued a green card and admitted into the country along with all the other freakin illegals who are here.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
This probably is just propganda. They can transmit anything they want into a persons head, day after day, night after night. Sooner or later he will accept his circumstances. How can you trust anything coming from this sort of thing.

Because if you read it it says that he is afraid of getting killed in his home country. I'm sure he's right despite what some people on here seem to think, there are really terrorists out there that do hate America, and they would probably kill this guy if they think he aided America at all.

It's not ALL just some Governmental lie. (though i do agree some of it is, just not this case)

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Actually this is not an isolated case a number of the detainees do not want to return to thier home countries.

Guantanamo cell is better than freedom, says inmate fighting against release

The Perils of Return

.....because they will be put thru the ringer.
Your first article is the source for the OP, and your second article if from some place called 'counter punch'?

Why did you leave out the second half of the article title from 'counter punch'?

Repatriated to Torture

THere are some sick puppies in this thread saying that this man, who has been found innocent mind you, should be shipped off to where ever for what ever fate awaits him.
These other countries are going to imprison and torture anyone that comes from America because they would assume the the individual has been 'turned' or manipulated into working covertly for us.
Of course they dont want to be returned to their original homelands.
They are caught in a catch 22 now. Nobody wants them because they are damaged goods.
Another life destroyed in the never ending war on terror.

Ahhh the price of freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join