It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippine Volcano Spewing Ash Three Miles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Philippine Volcano Spewing Ash Three Miles

www.cnn.com

A volcano in the central Philippines spewed ash early Tuesday, blanketing fields and villages as far as three miles away, but there was no immediate sign of a major eruption, scientists said.

The 5,150-foot Mount Bulusan volcano has been showing signs of unrest with on-and-off ash and steam explosions since March 2006.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abcnews.go.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Volcano watch 2006
Quake Watch 2007

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Although the article says it is just ash and steam, and goes on to say a major eruption is not yet foreseen, ash eruptions have killed plenty of people in the past. Ash has buried towns, and cities. The ash has clogged watter ways and then caused floods. So this could still be a very dangerous development. Also lets not forget Pompey.

www.cnn.com

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Wow 3 miles, that sucks.

It's a shame there isn't many pictures of the towns that got covered, it would put in perspective how serious it was down there.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A thread about the Philippines? Of COURSE the Great Piino will have something to say
So I wonder what the chances are of a major eruption. Definitely one of the scariest and most powerful of the natural disasters.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Piino
yes it is one of the scariest and most powerful natural disasters. But on the positive side. It is something that is confined to a certain location and can be predicted to a point. So people do have some amount of time to get out of the way.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
CNN Has a picture now
Very scary

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Mount Bulusan seems to have clamed down now, and stands in a state of stillness,

Very amazing indeed after the drama of Mount Bulusan spewing,

The Institute of Volcanology and Seismology reported around 46 Volcanic quakes over the past 24 hours,

The Volcano is still being tested to make sure the smoke is not harmfull,

So i think the Vocano is one to keep an eye on for sure,

www.gmanews.tv...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by greatpiino
Definitely one of the scariest and most powerful of the natural disasters.

It gets scarier. Super scary:

en.wikipedia.org...
dsc.discovery.com...

Super volcanoes, or calderas, are hundreds of times more devastating then regular volcanoes.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Cloak
yes supper volcanoes are very devastating and could cause world wide claimant change but to my knowledge there is not chance of this volcano being a supper volcano, is that correct?
If we were talking about the Yellowstone caldera it would be different.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This is a nasty situation but not uncommon. The real immediate danger is ash entering the rivers and streams.

Bulusan is an angry beast. This most recent explosion is the 25th recorded this year. It has erupted 16-times the last in 2006.

Human settlements are banned within four kilometers (2.5 miles) of the crater.

www.manilatimes.net...

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Lady of the Lake]

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
At least this one is in a known active area, The Ring of Fire, what would concern me more is if it was somewhere less well known for it's volcanic activity.
These days these sites are reasonably well mapped unlike in 79AD around Vesuviuos where the citizens of Pompei and Herculaneum had very little knowledge to forwarn them.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

...unlike in 79AD around Vesuviuos where the citizens of Pompei and Herculaneum had very little knowledge to forwarn them.

Which is odd isn't it?
I mean, you'd think a traveler or two would have docked and said "woah, you guys do know that massive hill with a hole at the top is a volcano right?"

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Actually thats the problem, the big hill didn't have a hole at the top it was just like your regular common or garden mountain.
How do I know this ?
I have been there and seen a painting of it on an internal wall of one of the buildings, can't remember exactly which one but they did like there frescos.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
So this could still be a very dangerous development. Also lets not forget Pompey.
www.cnn.com

Pompeii was a little different - if they had the luxury of a lengthy eruption they might still be here. Hang on, somethin wrong with that, never mind.

Mount Vesuvius went fizzle for a bit then
KABOOM!!
Pyroclastic flow

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wonder what the relationship of this development is to the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck in the South Pacific earlier. It would seem that the two events might be related - this always concerns me in terms of what the various "underground" activities are that would be causing these events and perhaps setting things up for more of the same!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Open Mind
I don't know about the magnitude 7.2 quake. Could you say where it was? And yes it could be related to the volcano depending on where it is.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I saw the info re: the earthquake at:
www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
OpenMind
I think I found where it is. The two are a long ways apart. I don't see how one could be related to the other.
Thanks for posting.

top topics

join